Love music hate racism

Home Forum Chat Forum Love music hate racism

Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Love music hate racism
  • khani

you stared a trend with some of the punkets, they loved the beady look

CountZero

Understandably, anything which challenges fascism and racism probably doesn't sit very comfortably with your extreme right-wing views, therefore you felt compelled to make a comment.

but racism isn't just restricted to right-wing bigots, Robert Mugabe is supposed to be a Marxist, but he's a screaming racist, and I know an Asian girl who was disowned by her family because she chose to marry a white English guy.
    Racism isn't the exclusive preserve of white skinhead nutters like the BNP/NF/Combat 88.

ernie_lynch

Racism isn't the exclusive preserve of white skinhead nutters like the BNP/NF/Combat 88.

I would have thought that was a self-evident fact. Many years back I paired up and worked for a while, with an older Caribbean guy (black obviously) he told me that all the black people he knew were racist against white people. Now that was probably an exaggeration, and what he meant by racist was not, as in despising white people and wishing them harm (although undoubtedly there are some like that) but more along the lines of not liking white people very much and not wanting to spend quality time with them.

Yes, there are of course black/asian/chinese/whatever racist too. Not really any great surprise there, considering the mistrust, fear, and lack of understanding, which exists between the various communities.

And that is precisely why organisations such as Rock Against Racism have been so important in breaking down the barriers which divide people. RAR by bringing together black and white through Punk and Reggae, helped to challenge people's prejudices and stereotyping – and that applied to black people as much as to white people.

I dare say that quite a few behind the Reggae bands and artists in RAR and it's organisational work, came from sections of the Caribbean Rastafarian community which had little or no dealings with white people on a day to day basis – apart from perhaps, getting stopped by the Old Bill. RAR gave them a new experience and helped to challenge any erroneous perceptions they might of had.

Racism is an evil which plays no constructive role in society, the more it is challenged and stamped out, the better it is for everyone. Love music hate racism 😉

Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Love music hate racism’ is closed to new replies.