Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Lounge or Living Room or…
  • votchy
    Free Member

So what do you call your main room where you would gather as a family?

jekkyl

living room. why?

nealglover
    Free Member

Kitchen.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

over there by the telly

DezB
    Free Member

Front lounge living room area place type thing

Hang on.. “gather as a family”? You bastard 😥

bigG
    Free Member

Wetherspoons

johndoh
    Free Member

The East Wing

weare138
    Free Member

The Drawing Room

binners

The Crib. Obviously. Erm…. homie

DezB
    Free Member

Very skilled to play Xbox one handed.

br
    Free Member

Parlour

twinw4ll
    Free Member

The BIG room.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

The snug.

chiefgrooveguru

It believe it goes lounge, living room, sitting room, drawing room, in ascending order of poshness. I grew up calling it the lounge (we’re northern) whilst my wife’s (southern) family call it the living room.

ourmaninthenorth

While CFH is the real measure of u and non-u speech in these parts, there’s a simple rule: if it sounds French (e.g. lounge, toilet, serviette, dessert), don’t.

pondo

I call it the living room, Mrs Pondo calls it the sitting room (and inaccurately refutes all allegations of poshness).

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Lounge.

Lots of Aussies say the “lounge room” which I find a bit weird. Especially as no-one says the “kitchen room”.

Do you say sofa or settee?

aphex_2k
    Free Member

DezB – Member
    Very skilled to play Xbox one handed.

Paw, surely?

mogrim

Living or sitting room.

sharkbait
    Free Member

The ‘big room’ in our house – we also have a smaller room that I call the snug and wife calls the playroom.

Cougar

Living room.

My OH persists in calling it the “front room”, to my continual confusion as it’s at the back of the house.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Curiously, when I’m at the family home I refer to it as the lounge – as we always did growing up – but at my house it’s always been the living room.

Not sure what happens when I cross out of Cumbria to effect such a change.

grievoustim
    Free Member

My parents both came from Lancashire (although had moved down south by the time I was born)

They always call it the lounge, but the word makes me cringe and I always say living room, or front room

I always thought lounge sounded very “hyacinth bouquet” – but based on comments above maybe I’m wrong and it’s just a north/ south thing

ourmaninthenorth

I always thought lounge sounded very “hyacinth bouquet” – but based on comments above maybe I’m wrong and it’s just a north/ south thing

Not a north/south thing, though you’re right that “lounge” is an affectation. When language was a greater marker of social status (and when social status was more acutely felt), words like lounge and pardon marked one out as too aggressively aspirational.

While the idea of “speaking properly” (another affectation) has fallen from favour, for some these words will always be a social signifier.

brakes
    Free Member

we call it the living room.
    a lounge is in a pub/ hotel.

jamiep
    Free Member

The Room

Cougar

My parents both came from Lancashire … They always call it the lounge,

I’m still in Lancashire, and it’s been the living room since my grandparents’ days at least. I’m not so sure it’s a regional split.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Lounge or Living Room or…’ is closed to new replies.