Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Lots of useful helmet-related info, and studies.
  • IdleJon

“While many studies have shown that bicycle helmets do little to prevent major head injuries beyond minor skull fractures and lacerations”……..

That’s ok then, as long as I’ll only get ‘minor’ skull fractures if I don’t wear my helmet.

The links probably direct you to some useful information, but unfortunately the article is written from a very anti-helmet viewpoint and has as much confused logic as any pro-helmet argument.

Having concussed myself and smashed many helmets over the years, I’ll still carry on wearing my helmets. It’s debatable whether they actually saved my life, but I know I would have had more injuries by not wearing them, even if only ‘lacerations’ to the head.

theflatboy
    Free Member

i had a skull fracture a few years ago. i was unconscious for 2 weeks and nearly died. hence i now always wear a helmet on the bike as it’s something i’m keen to avoid repeating.

miketually
    Free Member

Having concussed myself and smashed many helmets over the years

i had a skull fracture a few years ago. i was unconscious for 2 weeks and nearly died.

While riding on the roads, or while MTBing?

theflatboy
    Free Member

riding my bike in a hippity hoppity fashion involving steps, drops and general foolishness on uni campus. so on the bike but not trails per se.

julianwilson
    Free Member

tj must be at work, this has been up at least 20 minutes!

I knocked myself out from about 15mph and was amnesiac/well wierd all day after. And my helmet broke. I hate to think what i would have been like without one.

it would be nice to hear from some people who have injured their noggins without helmets on and whether they do or would do now.

miketually
    Free Member

riding my bike in a hippity hoppity fashion involving steps, drops and general foolishness on uni campus

Clearly, while doing that wearing a helmet makes a lot of sense. But for riding to the shops to buy a paper?

theflatboy
    Free Member

miketually – Member

riding my bike in a hippity hoppity fashion involving steps, drops and general foolishness on uni campus

Clearly, while doing that wearing a helmet makes a lot of sense. But for riding to the shops to buy a paper?

i’m not trying to say anyone should or shouldn’t wear a helmet, more addressing the description of a skull fracture as minor. but yes, i generally wear one whenever i get on a bike these days just in case.

MrAgreeable

That article borders on Godwin’s Law doesn’t it? Pick a discredited and disreputable practice, and draw a feeble comparison. You are wrong, therefore you are Hitler. You advocate cycle helmets, therefore you are a witch doctor.

While I agree with some of what she’s saying, it’s a bit histrionic, not to mention dishonest. Calling a skull fracture “painful” is like calling paralysis “inconvenient”.

juan
    Free Member

I have just pop some pear crumble out of the fridge…
    Anyone want some?
    And I made some japanese sencha to brew too I don’t mind sharing a cup.
    Wait for you know who to come on here…

MrAgreeable

it would be nice to hear from some people who have injured their noggins without helmets on and whether they do or would do now.

I do know one bloke who has a dent in his forehead and no sense of smell as a result of a youthful OTB incident. He still hates wearing one and insists that if he’d had one on at the time he would have broken his neck. So it hacks me off when the “helmets are dangerous” merchants trot out the same old flakey arguments for not wearing them. At the last trail day I did on my local loop (Ashton Court in Bristol) there seemed to be more people than ever going bare-headed, or relying on a wooly hat to hold in their brains.

J0N
    Free Member

Stating the obvious: I think the blog is form the point of view of sedately riding along a segregated path. I’m sure even Copenhagenize man would wear a helmet for MTB or trials.

Helmet off road definitely but none on road for me.

aP
    Free Member

I’m of the make your own mind up viewpoint.
    I got broadsided by a Land Rover 10 days ago which then drove over my bike, I wasn’t wearing a helmet, but I didn’t hit my head either.

IdleJon

Having concussed myself and smashed many helmets over the years

i had a skull fracture a few years ago. i was unconscious for 2 weeks and nearly died.

While riding on the roads, or while MTBing?

Both. Last time on the road, smacked my head into ground, resulting in concussion and whiplash. If the helmet only saved me from having stitches in my scalp, then not such a bad thing.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I was asleep. Missed anything new?

theflatboy
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

I was asleep. Missed anything new?

that’s how i felt!

tinsy
    Free Member

I bought mine in Lidl last weekend for £8, I like it so much I wear it in the office… Does this help anyone decide wether to use one or not?

glenp
    Free Member

The linked quiz is good. Have a go – very interesting

Average number of miles cycled per death in Britain? 15 million

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Having read that article nowt new. Decent analysis dressed up in pejorative language, usual hysteria from the pro helmet folk. A couple of blatant mistakes in the article as well

Its all about informed choice and realistic risk assessment. I have two different styles of helmet and a variety of hats which I wear on a basis of which is most appropriate.

What really gets to me is why folk are not campaigning for better helmets? Serious proven flaws in cycle helmets which could be addressed by using different testing methods and design.

tinsy
    Free Member

This gives an insight into the tests to pass EN1078… thats the one my Lidl £8 helmet passed and the same one every helmet on sale in the UK passes..

http://www.cyclehelmets.org/papers/c2023.pdf

IdleJon

I find that it’s all about my wife’s informed choice and realistic risk assessment TJ. (“You aren’t going anywhere without that helmet”)

The quiz is rather confused and leading as well. Still, it’s nice to see that I’m an above average cyclist –

“Moritz’s survey in 1994[ii] showed that falls or crashes that actually damage something (more than $50 worth of property damage, or that need medical treatment) average only about once every 11 years, or about once every 32,000 miles”

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

the whole ‘freedom of choice’ argument always comes up on skateboard sites whenever the wearing of helmets is debated. the nay-sayers always spout that they are free to chose and thats the most important thing. personally i think that is boll”cks, after all if someone smacks their head open in front of me i’m the one who will have to deal with the consequences – not only administering first aid and getting help, but also if things turn out really bad police interviews, inquests and personal trauma. all of which i, or anyone else involved for that matter, would’nt have a choice in.

juan
    Free Member

gav have a very valid point…

An individual as an member of a society as duties toward this society.
    A mate of mine spend 3 week over Xmas when he fall of his bike going from his to the LBS (that less than a mile pointing down) because someone step in front of him. So the simple question is how much money would the society have saved if his was wearing a helmet.

Serious proven flaws in cycle helmets which could be addressed by using different testing methods and design.

As I said each time to you, why don’t you propose one then? If it’s SO obvious that people who’s job is to design helmet can’t even do it.

glenp
    Free Member

There is a serious point in all this familiar fog – cycling is made out to be far more dangerous than it actually is. You are twice as likely to sustain head injuries as a pedestrian than a cyclist (per time spent), yet from the popular view you’d expect cycling to be vastly more hazardous.

glenp
    Free Member

A mate of mine spend 3 week over Xmas when he fall of his bike going from his to the LBS (that less than a mile pointing down) because someone step in front of him. So the simple question is how much money would the society have saved if his was wearing a helmet.

Well – that’s selecting an experience to fit a (not very good) argument. I know people that have been run over when crossing the road – they may have been helped by wearing a helmet.

miketually
    Free Member

So the simple question is how much money would the society have saved if his was wearing a helmet.

The research shows that the state loses money when helmets are made compulsory or even just promoted heavily.

miketually
    Free Member

I know people that have been run over when crossing the road – they may have been helped by wearing a helmet.

Lots of people slip and bang their head in the shower too…

miketually
    Free Member

You are twice as likely to sustain head injuries as a pedestrian than a cyclist (per time spent), yet from the popular view you’d expect cycling to be vastly more hazardous.

Silly, isn’t it?

If I walk to work, it takes me twice as long as riding there. Nobody mentions me not wearing a helmet to get to work.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Juan – I have and I can.

Helmets needs to be tested for rotational impacts in the standard testing. When this is done by independent testers cycle helmets come off worse than any other style of helmet. There is good evidence that in oblique impacts helmets can make injuries worse. ( diffuse axon injury instead of a laceration and a focal injury)

There are people out there attempting to address this – two main thrusts – one is a low friction coating the other is a smoother shell.

The other aspect is coverage of the vulnerable parts of the head. Occiput and temple area

Then there is the fact that our current standards tend to mean a helmet that is too hard – not good enough at absorbing impact.

However there is no profit in producing safer helmets so the major manufacturers are not looking to do- indeed there is a definite deterrent in producing safer helmets as they would then be sued on the basis of not producing the safest helmet.

David coulthard has had a go at producing a safer helmet. It is light with a smother shell than normal and a poly chinbar that sits close to the face. Only available in child sizes tho.

However there is no point in discussing this with you Juan as you have a totally closed mind to the amount of real, peer reviewed evidence out there about this.

For the record once more – when riding at a trail centre when the risk of crashing is high and the consequences are also high I wear a pisspot style helmet as IMO from the evidence I have they are safer ( smooth shell and greater coverage) they are too hot to wear all day tho.

If I want to wear one all day – as I did recently when riding in the snow and ice ( speeds low so rotational impact risk less but risk all day not just on descents) I wear and XC style vented helmet.

When I am wandering around they hills or byways were risk is infinitesimal I don’t wear a helmet. Rational risk assessment.

soobalias
    Free Member

4. On average, how often do enthusiastic cyclists (that is, bike club members) crash badly enough to damage equipment or require medical treatment?

Roughly every: d) 30000 miles

ah ha ha ha ha ha ahaha hahhahahahahhhhaaaaa.
    your not riding fast enough. fact.

molgrips
    Free Member

This just isn’t an issue amongst any of my mates. You leave the house to go biking – put on trousers, shirt, shoes and a helmet. I’d no more go without my helmet than my glasses.

It might help in a crash, so why worry about it? Just do it. Stop fannying about.

molgrips
    Free Member

However there is no profit in producing safer helmets so the major manufacturers are not looking to do

I think they are actually – there seems to be a fair bit of R&D spent on this. Surely someone selling safety equipment would be better off selling something that is demonstrably safer? I mean, it’s not like safety is a side-effect of a helmet, is it?

IanMunro
    Free Member

It might help in a crash, so why worry about it? Just do it. Stop fannying about.

I never ride without my lucky heather and rabbit foot for the same reason 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Molgrips – the issues

In some (perhaps rare) circumstances helmets can make injuries worse and they protect less than many folk think. At least one neurosurgeon will not wear one ever as he would rather have a focal brain injury and a laceration than a diffuse axon injury)

Folk wearing helmets take more risks and crash harder thus injuring themselves more.

Across populations wearing helmets increase illhealth by the deterrant effect of wearing a helmet to people riding bikes.

All proven and backed by science.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Soobalias – you hit on another issue there – no one has done any decent research that I can see into MTBers and helmets.

MrAgreeable

I wear a pisspot style helmet as IMO from the evidence I have they are safer

The retention system on the pisspot helmets I’ve seen and used is non-existent. If you undo the strap they basically rely on gravity to keep from falling off your head. They also have a much thicker and harder outer shell than your average XC lid.

Surely someone selling safety equipment would be better off selling something that is demonstrably safer?

Well, I’ve read magazine reviews that mentioned what standards a helmet met, and there are a couple of manufacturers that tested their helmets to the higher SNELL standard, and mentioned this. There’s also been a big trend towards helmets that cover more of your head, like the Giro Xen. I remember thinking how odd these looked when they came out and now they’re pretty much the most popular lid going. So the manufacturers can’t be accused of completely ignoring safety.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Mr Agreeable – which is why I use the strap properly. Like a motorcycle helmet. Relying on the headband on an XC helmet is a waste of time. If you do this and have the chinstrap lose you might as well not wear one. You need a properly done up chinstrap on any helmet. As for the hard shell – it still has the poly liner which is more extensive than most XC style helmets.. Its the smooth outer shell I am looking for not the hard shell

Even snell testing does not cover rotational impacts

MrAgreeable

I’m not suggesting that you “rely” on the headband on a XC helmet, but the better fitting it is, the less likely that it’s going to be pushed out of the way in an awkward crash. A motorcycle helmet is a bad comparison as they enclose a lot more of your head and move very little even with the strap undone.

If you read that article about helmet testing linked to above, it suggests that the outer shell of the helmet needs to deform in order to absorb the impact effectively. I can see this happening much more readily with the flimsy outer layer of an XC lid than with the tough thick shell of a pisspot.

Ultimately you’re arguing against yourself here. A harder outer shell and lower profile means that the helmet is less effective at absorbing impacts. A softer outer and more poly means that the helmet is more vulnerable to penetration by sharp objects and more likely to cause rotational injury. Of course they’re a compromise but in the majority of accidents they work. There are hundreds of people on this forum alone who can testify to that.

MrAgreeable

Even snell testing does not cover rotational impacts

I would be genuinely interested to see a comparison of the force required to cause brain injury by an impact to an unprotected head, versus the force required to cause a spinal injury by rotation of a helmeted head. I would be even more interested if the study was carried out on you. 😉

donald
    Free Member

One unsupported anecdote does not make for any useful sort of evidence. But here’s mine anyway …

I met a guy and his wife at a party last month. The chap was in a wheelchair. He had some use of his arms but certainly not full use. He had plastic “splints” strapped to his arms to give him more support. He had no use of his legs.

His wife told me he had been a roadie. He fell on a corner (nobody else involved). He was wearing a helmet. His head hit the ground and twisted and he broke his neck. His wife thought that if he hadn’t been wearing a helmet he wouldn’t have broken his neck.

It was quiet drive home.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Lots of useful helmet-related info, and studies.’ is closed to new replies.