Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Lots of people leaving my employer
  • stanley

I work for the NHS and, absolutely, this is happening. Particularly among the lower grades… ie. the ones that do the work.
    Poor pay, poor management, long hours, daily abuse… why bother?!

aphex_2k
    Free Member

We are already very short staffed and our employers and the state have mandated 75 percent of all workers need to be vaccinated. From Nov 1 they are sending people home which isn’t going to help staffing at all. (oh, I work in health care).

What I’m curious about is we are mandated to be vaccinated, which I’ve done. Now they are saying we will need boosters. So they’re moving the goal posts. WA target is 80 percent but… Wontvupen up the birders until we hit 90 percent.

We have zero cases in WA. You know how big Western Australia is? No cases. And the predictions are we are going to be buggered once the borders open up. I’m not convinced about boosters either. Time for a new career. Or retirement!

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I work for a public inquiry. We’ve got new starts almost every week.

Business is good in my field

bigdean

People join companies and leave managers.

I work at a college thats struggling to recruit, so they have revised the pay scale and reduced the top of the scale!

My department set on a new manager last year who has decimated the department, we were a good (if not difficult at times) department that always pulled together when it got tough to get the results and students through.
    Since his start two have left, one has retired, one transfers to another department in Dec and three are looking to transferr later in the year.
    Currently finding agency staff is difficult.

Yet the manager still makes stupid mistakes, fails to plan and behaves like a child. “I could take everyone down in this department” was one of his recent comments in a informal b@ll@£king to a collegue this week. But he’s a good sales man so exec love him.

thols2

I enjoyed this thread.

nickjb
    Free Member

my current team are all looking to move to escape the boss.

Wouldn’t that be you in that scenario? 😉

matt_outandabout

I think there’s something about coming out of the pandemic, having basically been thankful for a job, but now looking and thinking the grass is greener or that people aren’t going to put up with the same poor treatment and colleagues…

Between this mass movement and a shortage of people, I think some industries are going to have a challenging time this next year.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

The craziest thing in the world is that we’re all ok with spending a gigantic proportion of our limited existence working.

kilo

@yourguitarhero

I work for a public inquiry. We’ve got new starts almost every week.

Business is good in my field

Hell yes. They’re a never ending revolving door for counsel and lawyers, flip from IICSA to Grainger to Manchester etc.

I read the other day that UCPI had cost £45m so far.

5lab

It skills market is crazy this year. I’ve hired 17 people this year and the salaries are probably 20% higher than last year. Some people who left our company are getting 50-100% raises. Good time to change jobs so high attrition is to be expected.

MoreCashThanDash

Wouldn’t that be you in that scenario? 😉

Thankfully not. “We” are a team, and quite proud and supportive of each other.

PiknMix
    Free Member

I work in HR (ducks) and we are having a heck of a time recruiting.

I think there’s something about coming out of the pandemic, having basically been thankful for a job, but now looking and thinking the grass is greener or that people aren’t going to put up with the same poor treatment and colleagues…

I think this is a fair comment and similarly, people have really found out what they value during lockdown, they have had both the time and distance from their regular workplace to reassess priorities.

VanHalen

I think many have realised there is more to life than working/commuting.

It’s always amazed me what people put up with for a wage packet.

stumpyjon

I heard lots of stories of companies treating people badly during lockdowns, furloughing people and expecting the remaining staff to pick up the slack, making people on furlough work, pushing down wages and making conditions worse in the name of the pandemic. All this on top of making people work from home without making sure they had the right facilities. Lack of proper communication about what was happening or even just checking in. I think there is a lot of built up resentment now coming to the surface.

andybrad

I’ll not go into details but very similar story to a lot of people here. It’s a worrying time as so much flux and change will either Completely destroy some companies while giving massive opportunity to others.

Personally I’m finding it an extremely disturbing time.

ji
    Free Member

People have had a year or more to reevaluate the balance in their lives, what matters to them, and for some lucky enough to work from home, to realise how much they need to earn to live well, if they aren’t spending a fortune on sork clothes, commuting, coffeelunch etc.

I am one of them – certainly don’t intend at the moment to go back to full time work. Poorer but much happier.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Yep. Seeing the same. I’m s lead developer for a digital agency. I’ve lost 5 Devs in the past year. They’ve all gone for higher paid jobs and remote first.
    In the last 6 months the market has gone crazy. I’m getting 3 or 4 messages a day about jobs and the salaries are crazy.

Recruiters are telling me the demand has gone up and salaries have increased 20. ,- 30% across the board. Trouble is trying to get the business to understand they need to pay current developers more to retain them.

poly
    Free Member

he works from home, well my home in Aberdeen.

He says dont ask dont get if I don’t get…..I’ll just move to somewhere that does pay my worth. I admire his confidence in his worth

I assume you’ve matched his confidence by increasing his dig money to london rates? Don’t ask, don’t get!

rsl1
    Free Member

We’ve had such an exodus of grads that I think there’s now only 2 people with less experience than me (at 6 years in). Those that have left have gone for salaries on a par with mine, with half the experience. Always was a low paying company but we haven’t had a raise in 2 years and now I reckon I could get 20-30% extra if I left. Direct management and projects are very good though and I doubt I could get my current WFH flexibility anywhere else so I’m holding out to see what they do to correct things in the new year (spoilers – probably not a lot, but one can hope)

squirrelking
    Free Member

The craziest thing in the world is that we’re all ok with spending a gigantic proportion of our limited existence working.

This. And commuting.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Yeah, my current work want me in the office 3 days a week. I’d prefer 2 but hey ho.
    I actually really like being in the office, I enjoy the chats with folk and all the side-stuff that goes on.

However, I can’t be arsed with the commute – cost, time and other annoying things – carting food around with me, fitting the gym around things etc

icic
    Free Member

Turnover Contagion

BBC link on turnover contagion

mrdestructo

Interesting that none of that article, even with its HR experts sounding in, make any links to the traditional hierarchy organisations that are even more susceptible to failing through domino resignations during this wave of employee “migration”. No mention of Distributed Leadership” as a model for survival for many affected employers.

intheborders
    Free Member

I’m not leaving but pretty much every other person I speak to at work is new – retail banking.

But since they seem to have decided on a policy of paying for new folk but leaving current employees without either a payrise or a bonus, I’m just working less hours.

I reckon I’m 15-20% down on money, so working an equivalent percentage. No one has noticed, especially since my 2 colleagues left over the summer and we’ve been unable to fill the vacancies plus a new Manager to replace another leaver. I’m kinda in ‘monitor’ mode, covering the dept and doing enough.

Reason for not looking elsewhere? Late 50’s and CBA to go through yet another job trawl and make like I’m interested in whatever company is looking for my (scarce) skills – retirement in a couple of years is planned.

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Lots of people leaving my employer’ is closed to new replies.