Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 166 total)
  • Lost tdf peleton riders
  • IdleJon

cookeaa – Member
    I have to admit this thread has made me think about old classic jerseys more than modern Rapha rip offs..

Anyone know where I could get a reasonably priced Repro’ Tomasso ‘Z’ Jersey circa 1989/90 style?

I once rode past the whole Z team, wondering why they had so many wannabes. Greg Lemond was there, as well. I didn’t realise until the end of the day.

mogrim

So the sponsors logo’s/no sponsors logo’s arguments are all fairly acedemic. You look like a sex offender.

In lycra??? Hardly. Think Jimmy Saville’s loose tracksuits, a Catholic priest’s robes, etc. etc. Loose clothing (think baggies!) is sex offender territory.

ferrals
    Free Member

It’s just fashion. same way that girls go and buy the same dress that kate middleton is seen wearing or blokes have started wearing jeans so tight they probably were designed for girls just because… [actually i have no f-ing idea why – i mean seriously, self castration by denim is seen as a good thing?]

jimdubleyou

Saw a bloke commuting in full Europcar kit the other day, riding something like this:

Somewhat incongruous…

MrNice
    Free Member

So the sponsors logo’s/no sponsors logo’s arguments are all fairly acedemic. You look like a sex offender.

In lycra??? Hardly. Think Jimmy Saville’s loose tracksuits, a Catholic priest’s robes, etc. etc. Loose clothing (think baggies!) is sex offender territory.

Most people think cyclists wear lycra because we get our jollies from showing people the outline of our genitals. That’s why you have to try to make the perverts fall off.

luffy105
    Free Member

WTF – I’m in your Team too. Although mine has long sleeves so will make me slower 😆

cookeaa

Loose clothing (think baggies!) is sex offender territory.

Careful, you could be casting aspersions in the direction of Gangsta rappers too there, don’t want to upset them, they’re almost as hard as actual Gangsters, who’d clothes, I’m certain, fit them just right…

edhornby

ok what if you win the competition that ITV4 are running (the option to win 10k in cash and a free holiday can’t be sniffed at)

so you get the team sky bibs and jersey, do you wear them or ebay? if they were free I’d wear them and not worry about it but probably not together
    I do draw the line at replica Jaune or polka though, a football fan wouldn’t wear a plastic replica FA cup winners medal

If I see someone else wearing one I don’t worry though, that person will be riding a bike and therefore WIN.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I know a few now that have national jerseys from Nat Champs, one has hers framed, not sure what the others have done, seems in the last one you get the podium one for pics then they post you the right size one fresh for posterity.
    Not sure if you get a spare for riding though.

The good thing about mountain bike baggies is at least it looks like you just found the gear rather than road kit.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

I have a Team Polti top that matches my Coppi, which i wear when on that bike, I also have the shorts, but have yet to be brave enough to match the two, it is quite bright…and look at me!

I think a nicely matched non team set by Santini or the like looks smarter and classier in general.

matt_outandabout

dragon
    Free Member

cookeaa – fill your boots here:

Prendas cycling clothing

Z Jeresey by Santini

edhornby

just what I was going to say Dragon – great blokes to deal with as well

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Brilliant thread – thank you. Lots of laughs even from those without a SOH

mrchrispy

my personal opinion (that is no long personal as I’m sharing it on the interfloppy) is that team kit is for the team.

I wouldn’t wear it but others can fill their boots….as long as they are not bloaters, nothing worse that a big unit in team sky kit!

avdave2

Surely those in full team kit are just bait for those who don’t wear it, there isn’t anyone on here who wouldn’t try to catch and drop anyone ahead in full kit is there. 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

there isn’t anyone on here who wouldn’t try to catch and drop anyone ahead in full kit is there.

Lol good luck round here over summer 😉

scandal42
    Free Member

Would be fun testing that theory if you were Froome, just pedal along at a slowish pace and reel in the big boys from STW in their expensive Rapha gear and then blow them away.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

that team pie bollocks is worse than team kit, same with Foska heinz beans/ketchup, and the influx of chinese Iron Man/Spiderman kit,

its the cycling equivalent of this

yes, its all lycra, it looks shit, but you don’t have to make yourself look like a shit knob

flybywire
    Free Member

I’m about to give a polka dot KOM nike branded “supermache” circa 2004 xl jersey to a work colleague with a 40″waist.. Should fit like a glove and look so apt!
    the hills will be like a magnet .. 😀

hilldodger
    Free Member

….wouldn’t try to catch and drop anyone ahead in full kit

Can’t imagine the “team LIDL” contingent doing much dropping, unless it’s their guts

luffy105
    Free Member

yes, its all lycra, it looks shit, but you don’t have to make yourself look like a shit knob

You’re not a happy fan then Dirtyrider? Well this ‘shit knob’ looks a tit in any Lycra due to having eaten too many pies so it is quite apt and it makes me laugh.

Plus I’ve now got the added bonus in the back of my mind that were you to see me wearing it you would likely seeth with sartorial disdain and it may put you off whatever achingly cool thing you happen to be doing at that time 😀

Win – win

scotroutes

I just buy and wear stuff in the colours I like.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I once saw a man in a pub wearing a team sky shirt. Now that’s embarrassing.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

The basis of this sort of snobbery is the idea that people wearing team kit or whatever are trying to pass themselves off as professional cyclists. Once you accept that they are not doing that then the whole thing becomes ludicrous.

Indeed and the sort that puts people off the sport. It strikes me as an attitude that comes from people who’ve been cycling for a while and don’t like all the new comers, especially if they give off an ‘ATGNI’ look. A similar attitude unfortunately exists towards ‘storm troopers’ on mountain bikes.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Indeed and the sort that puts people off the sport. It strikes me as an attitude that comes from people who’ve been cycling for a while and don’t like all the new comers, especially if they give off an ‘ATGNI’ look. A similar attitude unfortunately exists towards ‘storm troopers’ on mountain bikes.

Well yes; with good reason. Cycling is my life; I love the sport. And then some slightly over weight, IT Manager comes along; squeezes into his Team Sky lycra and hits the road. Now my sport looks shit.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Lionel Messi had a bath at my house earlier then went to bed about 7:30 on the top bunk. He looks a lot smaller in real life!!

That’s the funniest one.

DT78
    Free Member

I have World Cup and polka dot socks, a couple of team jerseys and bibs, a couple of tour jerseys (pink giro, red vaulta) and the most heinous of all a strava gran fondo. Sadly I’m also reasonably rapid (obviously not tour rapid) so maybe I’ve never noticed all those guys trying to catch me up and call me a FKW 🙂

I too buy jerseys I like the look / colour of that are cheap. Team close outs, like the belkin ones, are often fantastic bargains.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Sky FKW who rode past my office last year turned out to be Geraint Thomas. My daughter spotted Luke Rowe going past her school, and I got overtaken by Dani King on my way to work a few months ago. #cardiffthenewgirona

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

nearly rode into a guy last evening on the way home, full sky kit even the helmet, maybe even the socks….alas, not yet the bike, but respect to him for getting the full-on look,…i did feel obliged to keep a nice 100 yards between us though after the initial coming together. 😀

mogrim

Sky FKW who rode past my office last year turned out to be Geraint Thomas. My daughter spotted Luke Rowe going past her school, and I got overtaken by Dani King on my way to work a few months ago. #cardiffthenewgirona

I overtook* a guy in full Saxo-Tinkoff gear a few months back near my house. Turned out to be Contador 🙂

* I was in a car

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Reminds me of a bloke stood at the top of the Plenny about 10-12 years ago on a full team replica DH bike and the kit

Yep it was Cedric…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Funny this, the only Tour riders I see are in the mornings on their way to work, complete with backpacks and baggies and flashing lights and a grimace.

Looks to me like a pretty shite job.

Squidlord
    Free Member

What about people who have to have every. Single. Piece. of Kit. branded to match the bike? There are a few like that near me. Always perfectly coordinated, perfectly clean, and only seen once or twice a year.

atlaz
    Free Member

TBH I really don’t care. I sometimes think it’s a bit odd but then realise that it’s their money so they can spend it as they like.

That said I was close to writing two blokes off as pro kit **** last year in France. Sitting having a bit of lunch in a small town and they roll in, put their bikes against a wall then sit at a table and shout at the waiter for “the usual”. One is head to toe in black Sidi branded kit (obv. Chinese ebay as who wears Sidi shorts) and the other in a cut off sleeve AG2R jersey, AG2R shorts and even has an AG2R Focus bike. Turns out it’s Nacer Bouhanni fresh from winning the red jersey in the Giro and his mate Steve Chainel from AG2R.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Wondering if this is a fairly recent thing? Me and my mates all use to ride in jerseys like the Z and ONCE ones back in the day and weren’t aware of any FKW issues, but then we were in our early teens and it was before the days of the interweb and cycling forums. Obviously wouldn’t do it now in my 40’s!

scotroutes

mrblobby – Member
    Wondering if this is a fairly recent thing?

Nah. Tedious moaning bastards have been around for centuries.

chakaping
    Free Member

When I started out MTBing in the late 1980s we bought all our kit from the bargain bins at road bike shops.

Recently sold my well-used Peugeot Z biblongs and Kas jersey for £20 and £25 – which is at least twice what I paid for them 25 years ago.

Hope nobody sneers at the happy new owners.

annebr
    Free Member

convert – Member

Can’t we all just get along.

Where would be the fun in that?
    [/quote]

Getting along doesn’t mean we have to agree. But we really don’t need to be all sneery and judgmental about each other.

DanW
    Free Member

#cardiffthenewgirona

I have seen Gee and Rowe around too. It is almost like they ride their bike lots as they are always out and about. Never smile or say hello though. Maybe someone should start a thread about road etiquette 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 166 total)

The topic ‘Lost tdf peleton riders’ is closed to new replies.