Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 166 total)
  • Lost tdf peleton riders
  • scandal42
    Free Member

And you think aspiring to be decent on a bike like a pro team rider is a bad thing?

If it gives people the extra little kick to get out on a bike then what is the problem?

I imagine its only fellow cyclists who have this snobbish attitude towards team kit, the average person wouldn’t give two shits.

I don’t tend to wear team kit other than my Belkin bibs but really, why give a shit?

convert

And you think aspiring to be decent on a bike like a pro team rider is a bad thing?

It’s a deluded thing. I would far rather they were wearing the local club colours. You know, the club they actually belong to and race for because they are so aspirational they know belonging to and racing for a local club is the only way to improve.

I’ve ridden in kit smothered in sponsor logos before but fortunately they were sponsors benefiting my team and me personally.

nemesis
    Free Member

Ah, mention of Pro Kit ****…

It’s funny because whenever I see a post from that page on fb, it strikes me that it’s not the people wearing the kit who are the ****…

EDIT – FAOD – **** rhymes with

MrSmith
    Free Member

Trade kit = the bloke who wears camo down the pub who has never seen the countryside.

pondo

My best bib shorts are those Belkin ones that were an absolute bargain a few months back, I wear them because they are better than all of my other kit and are comfortable, so kiss my sponsored ass you miserable sap.

Sigh. “…trade teams are a different matter, I choose not to wear mine when riding because I think I’d look a tit riding that slow in pro kit, if you choose to that’s entirely up to you. ”

ads678

I bought my son a KOM jersey and he loves wearing it on his bike and pretending to be a champ in it!! Maybe one day……….
    Personally I would not buy replica team kit cos i’m not ‘that’ into road riding. But, don’t have anything against those that do, it’s probably good kit.
    I also don’t think the replica kits should have UCI stripes on them, they should be earned!

pondo

Wow, rainbow stripe vigilante, scared……

Which bit of “… I’m not going to stop you…” makes me a vigilante?

mogrim

I also don’t think the replica kits should have UCI stripes on them, they should be earned!

Personally I couldn’t care less if they want to wear UCI stripes, or indeed team kit. They’re just clothes, they don’t mean anything outside the pro peloton.

traildog
    Free Member

I’m not going to stop you from wearing one if you really want to, but I am going to make a judgement about you.

Yes, there are somethings which just aren’t done. Like fastening the bottom button on your waistcoat, or wearing a hat indoors.

Actually, it’s attitudes like that which would make me want to wear such a jersey because it’s doing no harm to anyone and I hate stupid snobbishness.

You are riding your bike to work/for fun and you can wear what the hell you like and if it offends someone then quite frankly they are a bit of an idiot and should mind their own business.

It’s not a race, where there are rules about dress for good reason and then what you say makes sense.

convert

I bought my son a KOM jersey and he loves wearing it on his bike and pretending to be a champ in it!!

Caveat to my above. Anything goes for little dudes! Maillot jaune, polka, even team sky – knock yourself out!

pondo

Actually, it’s attitudes like that which would make me want to wear such a jersey because it’s doing no harm to anyone and I hate stupid snobbishness.

Fill your boots. 🙂

scandal42
    Free Member

I choose not to wear mine when riding because I think I’d look a tit riding that slow in pro kit, if you choose to that’s entirely up to you

Look like a tit to who? and why would you give a flying shite?

chakaping
    Free Member

This thread started out quite funny, shame it’s degenerated into the usual guff already.

Anyone looking down on anyone else for what they wear on a bike is the one with the problem. End of story.

ads678

Personally I couldn’t care less if they want to wear UCI stripes, or indeed team kit. They’re just clothes, they don’t mean anything outside the pro peloton.

I’m not bothered about people wearing them as they are part of the design, I just think the stripes should be omitted from replica kit. But then it wouldn’t be a proper replica would it……….

^^^ and what he said above!

convert

Scandal – there are two types of folk that genuinely don’t care what others think of the way they look:-

and

You clearly stand proud and rock your own look not giving a shit, but which group are you? I’m thinking the first.

vinnyeh

What is acceptable then?
    A quick look at Rapha shows a whole page of Sky branded kit.

Is it the Pro jersey, maybe?
    Or the Replica?
    Can I get away with the Training then maybe?
    There’s a Vintage one as well, bound to rouse conflicts in Mr Smith’s mind…

Hell, one of my kids chose a Sky branded Frog as his current bike. Should I have put my foot down?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Vinnyeh – by all accounts you should cover all offending logos with tape, not ride it and tell him he has to earn it otherwise he’ll look a tit to himself or others.

MrSmith
    Free Member

There’s a Vintage one as well, bound to rouse conflicts in Mr Smith’s mind…

not really i’m not the one wearing it, i might spend a few moments working out if it’s selling tile grout, farm gates or national lottery tickets though?
    i don’t wear blue and white static sportswear/white trainers/baseball caps or tend to associate with those who do, no inner conflict or wardrobe angst just a prejudice learned form years of experience.

odd that the people i know who work for rapha, none of them wear the sky branded stuff as it’s for the buyers or the team.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

What about sponsored slippers?

pondo

Look like a tit to who? and why would you give a flying shite?

To me, and because I have a modicum of self-respect.

What is acceptable then?

I can tell you what’s acceptable to me, but I can’t tell you what’s acceptable to you.

cookeaa

Tis the season for replica kit wearer’s to come out and play now innit.
    I tend to view it as a sign of being a bit of a “fair-weather roadie”.
    They’ve mostly hidden indoors all winter and now they’re out and about in their overpriced Sky jerseys, gross generalisation of course and not everyone fits that stereotype, but there’s at least a grain of truth to it…

The most miserable lot IME are generally those in a big club group, half of the “experienced” rider’s sick of trying to herd cats, the less experienced riders sick of being berated and bored, they always seems like the most miserable lot when you pass them… but at least their tops all match… smaller clubs, or just a few mates out for a ride together seem to be the happiest bunch, regardless of attire…

Does any of it it really matter though? not really, I’ll give them all a nod and a smile while I trundle on by in my £5 Decathlon top and bargain bin DHBs, I’m sure they think I’m some sort of pauper, but at least we’re all out doing what we want…

We can all sneer at everyone else if we want, but nobody’s really any “better” are they…

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve just taped over the logo on my satellite tuner box.

Feel so ashamed.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Feel so ashamed

not enough to put a blanket over the tv while watching Oprah though?

scandal42
    Free Member

To me, and because I have a modicum of self-respect.

You go girl, what a superstar.

Everyone can see the self respect pouring out of you when you ride, if only the branded kit wearers would aspire to be like pondo rather than Wiggins

molgrips
    Free Member

A lot of team kit is quite hi-viz, without being actual hi-viz, which is actually quite a good thing imo. Not Sky though!

jaaaaaaaaaam
    Free Member

Haha I don’t think this thread went quite as planned. It’s OK op, I think it’s funny too 🙂

phil40
    Free Member

My careful criteria for what to wear on the bike is a delicate balance between what is cheap, and what actually works! Team kit especially bib shorts always seemed to be really comfortable, so I would bag pairs whenever the sponsors changed and the team sold off kit in a sale 😀 I made quite the fashion statement riding round in FDJ shorts with another trade teams jersey 😀

Since getting a flat bared commuter bike with panniers I have come to accept that I am the lowest of the low on our roads! Club runs never even acknowledge that I exist! It must be the mix of flat pedals, baggy shorts, and trade team jersey! I am so stylish 😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

How does a yellow strava jersey go?

pondo

You go girl, what a superstar.

Everyone can see the self respect pouring out of you when you ride, if only the branded kit wearers would aspire to be like pondo rather than Wiggins
    I was hoping we could comfortably have a difference of opinion, but clearly I must conform. I’ll go buy me a rainbow jersey right now. 🙂

scandal42
    Free Member

I was hoping we could comfortably have a difference of opinion, but clearly I must conform. I’ll go buy me a rainbow jersey right now.

That opportunity was lost when you suggested anyone wearing team kit has no self respect.

The most important thing though, is that you post pitchers of yourself in the rainbow jersey, then and only then can we declare the thread a raging success.

pondo

That opportunity was lost when you suggested anyone wearing team kit has no self respect.

Let me remind you, duck –

I choose not to wear mine when riding because I think I’d look a tit riding that slow in pro kit, if you choose to that’s entirely up to you

Look like a tit to who? and why would you give a flying shite?[/quote]
    Is not me saying I think everyone wearing team kit has no self-respect. I don’t wear team kit because I think I look like a tit in it and I have a modicum of self-respect.

* Apologies for feeding the troll.

binners

You’re arguing about the relative levels of looking-like-a-tit-ishness?

Could I just raise a pertinent point…

Its all lycra, right?

So the sponsors logo’s/no sponsors logo’s arguments are all fairly acedemic. You look like a sex offender.

scandal42
    Free Member

Its a strong look at the moment binners, totally in fashion.

annebr
    Free Member

This is a sad judgmental attitude. Can’t we all just get along.

pictonroad

I’ve never considered this to be an problem; I wear a Credit Agricole and Gerolsteiner top on the road, these are defunct teams, is this worse or better?

I wouldn’t wear matching shorts though, is that the issue? The FULL kit?

WTF
    Free Member

I have my own team kit….

convert

Can’t we all just get along.

Where would be the fun in that?

cookeaa

I have to admit this thread has made me think about old classic jerseys more than modern Rapha rip offs…

Anyone know where I could get a reasonably priced Repro’ Tomasso ‘Z’ Jersey circa 1989/90 style?
    Or a nice pink Fluro ‘ONCE’ top? I’d have one of those but I wouldn’t want to pay much for it…

imnotverygood

The basis of this sort of snobbery is the idea that people wearing team kit or whatever are trying to pass themselves off as professional cyclists. Once you accept that they are not doing that then the whole thing becomes ludicrous.

IdleJon

WTF – Member
    I have my own team kit..

Ooh, can I be in your club?
    (Actually I’m already in, just don’t have the kit! 🙂 )

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 166 total)

The topic ‘Lost tdf peleton riders’ is closed to new replies.