Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Lost my phone- need to remove 2 step verification to access find my device.
  • Ambrose

Somewhere near Talybont on Usk I lost my phone today. It is set to silent. It’s an Android so I should be able to locate it using my Google account. But I can’t access my Google account because I have 2 step verification. I’m at home now, about an hours drive away. Can anyone suggest a method that will allow me to geolocate my phone? Much appreciated, Ambrose 🙁

I’ve used a pay for app to try, but the link they said they are going to send hasn’t turned up. I have a feeling I might have been stitched up. (Helpmobi.io)

Flaperon

Don’t pay for anything, it won’t work.

Do you (or does someone else) have access to another computer where you’re signed in (or an iPad or something?). Or the backup codes you saved when you turned on 2FA?

That is the only way, otherwise you’ll need to go the long way around via requesting the 2FA be removed via Google support.

(Been there, done that. Takes about 72 hours)

Ambrose

Botheration!

leffeboy

Watch out for the helpmobi stuff, it seems likes its a scam that  you need to cancel quickly

Helpmobi Reviews | Read Customer Service Reviews of helpmobi.io (trustpilot.com)

looks like the trial is 1 squid for 3 days then 29 a month after.  Naughty

from their site:
    Helpmobi.io subscription price
    The Helpmobi.io subscription costs £1.00 for 72 hours then £24.90 per month. Payment for your subscription will be made by direct debit with the wording helpmobi.io.
    Terms of the Helpmobi.io subscription
    The Helpmobi.io subscription can be terminated at any time and without conditions and at any time. In addition, the termination of your Helpmobi.io subscription is completely free of charge.</p>

Ambrose

Oh bluddy brilliant!

So- I have blocked the GiffGaff sim and phone. New sim is on the way.
    I can’t access my online banking without the phone, it is my digital secure key password. Thus for the moment I can’t check up on the Helpmobi payments.

Now I need to getonto Google/ Android to get them to remove the 2 step verification because I can’t find a record of any codes. Sigh.

leffeboy

Thus for the moment I can’t check up on the Helpmobi payments.

As far as I understand you need to email/call them to cancel as well as calling your bank and getting them to block any payments after the first 1 gbp.  If you leave it more than 72hours they can and will start taking 25/month.  Those trustpilot reviews are horrible

Ambrose

Oh double bol*x. Bank can’t do anything until the first transaction is complete, at the moment it is still pending. Does this indicate that although a message has been sent out to the phone it has not actually been located I wonder.
    And thanks for the heads up guys, between myself and my wife we managed to subscribe to three of those nasty sites.

leffeboy

just need to check but have you followed the unsubscribe process for each of these sites as well?  It will make life much easier with the banks if you have a record of having done it.  Use their online system as well as sending an email to their contact address as you won’t have a record of having sent it if you do it online

spooky_b329

Do you have an old mobile phone (or laptop) in a drawer that’s already been used to access your Google account? It might let you in without doing the authentication.

johnners
    Free Member

I don’t want to add to your pain Ambrose but hopefully some readers of this thread can take away a useful lesson on using 2FA – always make sure you’ve a backup method of authentication. In this case backup codes stored separately and independent of the device you use for authentication, particularly where the access is to something as key to your online life as your Google account. I keep mine in my password manager’s vault, but some I even have a hard copy of tucked away.

Ambrose

Too true. Adding to my pain is the SD card in the phone. Photos, music, screenshots…

seriousrikk

So I recently had a google account SNAFU as I changed my number a while ago. Turns out I was logged into Youtube on my desktop and could use that to change my 2FA to another mobile number. Bingo, problem solved.

bails

For anyone else, here’s the instructions on getting a set of backup 2FA codes:
    https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/1187538?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop

Ambrose

It’s all a bit annoying now- I can’t use pay-pal, banking apps or anything else that needs any kind of payment.

Google’s control/ power is really pervasive in my day to day life. far more than I’d initially imagined. Hmmm.

Replacement phone, case, screen protector and sc card now purchased from Mrs A’s laptop (she doesn’t use 2FA). I’m really hoping that when my replacement SIM arrives from GiffGaff I can access my Google account again.

phil5556

For anyone else, here’s the instructions on getting a set of backup 2FA codes:

I didn’t know this was a thing, but have just done it cheers.

I’m not as reliant on Google being an Apple user but it would still be a massive PITA.

Off to see if Apple has similar, I have an iPad & iPhone so should usually have a second option but if they were both stolen together I wonder how stuck I would be?

Funny, I smashed my iPhone to buggery today, so much so that it won’t pick up wifi, bluetooth, or cell. So I can’t erase the phone before sending off for replacement as I can’t turn off ‘find my phone’. Have to go into the apple store for them to do it. That’s a PITA.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.