Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Lost my best mate…
  • duncancallum

And I’m in pieces.

She’s not been well for a while and it reached the point it wasn’t fair.

Properly gutted 😢

PJM1974
    Free Member

I am so sorry to read this, what a beautiful dog.

dovebiker

Heartbreaking – just keep in your mind all the fabulous times you had together and the great life you gave her

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    alpin
    Free Member

😔

ton

feel for you mate. so so sad when the time comes.
    lost mine on xmas eve.

bet she gave you some fantastic times.

blokeuptheroad

Oh so sorry, such a dreadful sense of loss. Treasure the memories and despite your grief now, think how much less your life would have been without her in it all this time.

jamj1974

Such a beautiful girl. So sorry for your loss – it hits so very hard.

funkrodent

So sorry to read this, my condolences for your loss

The difference in lifetimes between humans and dogs is one of the great tragedies. I’ve been through this a few times and it never gets any easier.

At the end of the day you can take comfort in the fact that you fulfilled your half of the human/canine contract and gave her the food, shelter, love, security and adventures that made her life the perfect one.

My dog Bonnie is nine now. I’ll take her the long route for her evening walk in a bit.

breninbeener

She looks a brilliant dog. Treasure the moments you have shared together

Ian

Tom-B
    Free Member

😔

Not had to go through it yet. My little pal is 4 next week, already dread the day when I have to say goodbye. She looks like a beautiful dog, I’m sure that she had a wonderful time with you.

skink2020

Peace and love brother.

tuboflard

Sorry to hear Duncan, take time to reflect on the great times you had and don’t feel bad about getting upset about it. Look after yoursen.

ThePilot
    Free Member

So very sorry. Looks like a lovely dog, full of character.
    Take care of yourself.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Very sad, I feel for you. My best mate is nearing the end and I’m dreading it! 🥲

mrwhyte
    Free Member

So sorry, it is really difficult losing a best mate. I lost mine 18 months ago and still miss him. They leave such a big hole when they go, but leave so many amazing memories.
    Look after yourself. Take a walk and get out of the house. I found being at home the most difficult bit after I lost Wallis (my boxer rotty cross).

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

So so sorry to read this 😢
    We lost our first Ridgeback 18 months ago and although it does get easier you never get over it. All it takes is a FB memory to pop up of him out with us as a family, strutting his stuff on the dog show circuit or just me and him mtbing and all of a sudden it gets very dusty in the front room…
    Take solace that although she’s left a massive hole in your heart, she has also filled your head with beautiful memories
    Run free sweet girl ❤️

Cougar

Dude. So sorry.

As I said on a similar thread just now: try and focus on the good rather than dwell on the loss.

sandboy

So sorry to hear about this, it really is hard. Just remember the great times you had with her and the special relationship you shared. I really do feel your pain!

fatoldgit

Sorry to hear this….
    It’s always tough,

duncancallum

Thanks for the kind words all.

Sat on the couch n keep absentmindedly reaching out for her. It’s shit.

My missus is doing better than me which is a shock for us both🤣

Have to say thanks to the vets absolutely brilliant. Must be such a crap part of their job.

tonyd

It’s dusty in here all of a sudden. Sorry for your loss.

granny_ring

Sorry for your loss chap. It hurts loads when you lose a much loved pet.
    With time hopefully the happy memories will be more prominent.
    Take care.

willard

Really sorry to hear this, it is never easy and the loss never really goes away. It does get easier though, but I still talk to mine and it has been a year since he went.

Take care of yourself.

barrysh1tpeas
    Free Member

Really sorry to hear that. I have been there and my thoughts are with you. Genuinely

It’s incredibly hard, nearly broke me. I was closer to him than nearly every human.

Of course you never forget them, I think of him still frequently. But it does get better.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

damn.

looked like an ace companion.

The-Beard

I’m so sorry for your loss, I lost my girl last September and I’m still missing her every day.  Just take it day by day and let yourself grieve.  They’re not just dogs or pets, she was my best friend and constant companion.  I couldn’t live without them but I know what I’m letting myself in for every time.

darstadlydick
    Free Member

Really sorry to hear. We lost ours on Saturday so understand what you are going through. The one thing that keeps us going is knowing that she is at peace and not suffering.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve opened this thread a few times without comment. I think that’s because it makes me think about when I might next be in the same position and that sucks. Also, because of how awful it is, I want to say something helpful but there isn’t anything right now. It’s because dogs are so great when they’re with you that it’s so crap when they’re not.

Having said all that, just remember, the good always outweighs the bad. It must do, so many of us are repeat “customers”.

plus-one

My heart goes out to you. I own 3 dogs 8 year old 7 year old and a 2 year old. Can’t begin to imagine not having all of them by my side 🙁

amedias
    Free Member

So sorry for you, it’s properly shit and I know exactly how you feel.

We just said goodbye to our little pooch this morning, she reached the grand old age of 17 (and a few months) but had been slowly deteriorating for the last few months and we took the tough decision to call time before she started to suffer.

Vet came to our house and she passed away peacefully in my arms, it was the last kind thing we could do for her.

They’ll always be a part of your story, you just need to remember all the good times you had together and how both your lives will have been better for having each other in them.

mattyfez

Sorry I did’t reply earlier, I don’t like to click on threads like this, it Must be very difficult, my litle scruff means the world to me, just as much as any human family/friends.

Just try and focus on how you gave them a good life, and how much they enjoyed themselves.

With the best will in the world, any dog owner will have to face this day at some point due to thier life spans, they are here for a good time, not a long time.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

I too have opened this several times and not yet commented – I lost my first dog late summer last year. He was only 11, and I’d never wanted a dog til we got him. 6 months in and he was my best friend, and stayed that way. We got another a few years later, and they were just the best of friends. Absolutely broke my heart when he went; we have a new puppy now, and the now older dog has a new lease of life, so it’s not all bad. Just the circle of life.. Remember the good times – wherever she is, she will be.

mattyfez

hopefully it’s not upsetting, but I really love this Neil young song about his dog…

grizedaleforest

My girl has just come to see what I’m doing. Only 9 months old and already so much part of our life. I can only send the OP best wishes. Some lovely thoughts from the team here.

duncancallum

Thanks all again.

Slightly better. Just unfortunately angry for no good reason.

Getting her cremated. Going up to Mull as its the place I’ve seen her happiest.

Also where the photo of me n her are taken. Top photo was grumpy George on skye

granny_ring

I forgot to say on my other post that Blue Cross have a pet bereavement helpline.
    I used them a couple of times when we lost Felix and it really helped, you can could talk for as long as you wanted.
    We donate to them every year since.
    It might be of use to you and others on here that didn’t know about them, as I didn’t until I posted on here few years ago about Felix.
    Take care.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Lost my best mate…’ is closed to new replies.