Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Lost…
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

…after a 15 year break I’m now officially addicted but with the added help of Lostopedia which explains everything…
    I know there will be the haters who say it adds up to nothing, loving it though.

It’s one of those programs that seems to transport you away so it must be doing something right.

Let’s hear the haters and the lovers ( if there are any)

🌴

scotroutes

I watched it through again about a year ago. Knowing the outcome actually helped and I picked up lots of clues along the way that I had missed first time around. Being able to binge it was also an advantage.

johndoh
    Free Member

I enjoyed the first series. I tried to enjoy the rest.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hols2
    Free Member

I never watched it. Was going to, but I heard the big twist at the end and decided I hated it, so I hate it.

funkmasterp

The ending was shite. Quite clear they were just making it all up as they went along as opposed to having a plot outline to start with. It had so much promise, but the last series and that ending……terrible

P-Jay
    Free Member

I was obsessed with the first few series, and even bought Sky for the first time when I moved from Ch4 to Sky1 just so I could keep watching.

But it quickly became clear to me it could never live up to the hype it created with it’s endless cliffhangers, eventually I was reading a magazine article about it in which one of the writers casually dropped in that rather than a large story arc that was carefully being followed to a known conclusion they were just making it up at they went along. I think they were trying to reassure fans that it wasn’t going to end soon, but it back-fired (for me anyway) I was only hanging on to know why all this mad shit was happening, it was a sudden realisation that the mystery would never be solved, it would just end one day when they cancelled it and I never watched another episode.

It was years later I read about the Bobby Ewing style ending and I was glad I had.

scotroutes

Quite clear they were just making it all up as they went along as opposed to having a plot outline to start with

And yet there are lines in the very first episode that relate to the story ending.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I thought lost was awesome first time round. Felt original back then. The conclusion was a bit disappointing as try always are, but I enjoyed the journey immensely. Wouldn’t want to go back ad re-watch – significant amount of time to be sat in front of the telly and bound to not be as good second time around. Don’t recall a Bobby Ewing style ending though.

funkmasterp

And yet there are lines in the very first episode that relate to the story ending.

They probably did that to make you think there was a link. There definitely wasn’t and the writers pretty much admitted this

johndoh
    Free Member

Well yes, that wouldn’t be difficult to do, but they just filled in lots of stuff around it too.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I watched and thoroughly enjoyed the first series of lost & I think I saw some of the second series but missed a few and wasn’t interested enough to catch up by then (back when that meant buying or renting a DVD) as the plot seemed as lost as the characters.

On a tangential note of things I only saw the first series of but enjoyed that much at least…

Is heroes worth watching?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

At least they gave some sort of an ending.
    I was really enjoying Alcatraz. They had a nice car chase in the last episode of S1 around San Francisco and a great tease for the next season, and that was it. Gone.

funkmasterp

Heroes definitely isn’t worth watching after the first series. Becomes pretty terrible with some truly awful plotting and character arcs. Think it was hit hard by the writers strikes. Could be wrong though.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Is heroes worth watching?

Starts really well, Series 1 is brilliant, Series 2 less so and 3 and 4 pretty terrible.

scotroutes

scotroutes

Heroes.

First time around I watched all of season 1 then gave up after a few episodes of season 2.

I caught it all again recently. S1 was good, 2 and 3 went downhill but I stuck it out to S4 and was glad I did.

I hate following one of these then they suddenly stop. Enjoyed The OA, waited for the second season but then found out there wouldn’t be a third, so didn’t even bother watching the second.

johndoh
    Free Member

Prison Break followed a similar trajectory – a great first season them diminishing returns.

hols2
    Free Member

Season 1 of Prison Break was entertaining, but stupid. After that, the stupid just grew until it was laughable by the end. Pity, it had a fairly decent cast.

zippykona

Tin Star.

How shit did that get in such a short space of time?

hols2
    Free Member

I tried Tin Star too. Abandoned it after the first episode, it had all the hallmarks of a shit avalanche about to launch itself.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Tin Star.

How shit did that get in such a short space of time?

Yep, there were warning signs. I’m always wary of ‘American’ TV series which aren’t, it’s a Sky1 production and they’re usually cheesy shit.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Billions is very good if anyone hasn’t seen it.

Has anyone seen Yellowstone yet? It’s been getting decent reviews in the US, it’s on in the UK now on some random channel, but it’s a big budget job.

AlexSimon

It was such a relief to know that Watchmen was a 1-series and done show.
    After Lost, I don’t think I would have watched another Lindelof show without knowing it ended decently.
    The Leftovers was a bit in-between for me. Definitely some elements of making it up as it went along, but at least it was entertaining along the way. The ending was at least thought out beforehand and the show didn’t drag on too long.

toby1

I still haven’t forgiven Lost for the ending, it went from strong to written into a corner and needing to back out of it weakly hoping no one notices, rubbish!

hols2
    Free Member

I watched the first season of Billions. Good cast, but looked to be turning into a soap opera so I stopped there.

hols2
    Free Member

Oh, and the GOAT of turning shit has got to be True Detective. Season 1 wasn’t perfect, but it had some stunningly good bit. Season 2 was just a huge stinky turd.

Hohum
    Free Member

I love Lost and have watched it 3 times now, once on my own, once with my son and then once with my son and daughter.

The ending wasn’t that good, but some of the previous episodes were great.

I really like Michael Emerson playing Ben and he is also excellent in Person of Interest.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Ended up disappointed but the first few series were some of the best TV ever, Locke and Boon discovering the hatch and all the orienteering stuff was mind-blowing for me at the time, might have to revisit.

Cougar

I think the last Lost episode I saw, they were building a raft. Dunno why I stopped watching now, probably just stuck in the “I’ll go back to that at some point” pile and never quite got around to it. See also, Game of Thrones and 90% of video games I own.

Heroes.

First time around I watched all of season 1 then gave up after a few episodes of season 2.

Exactly the same for me. I thought the first series was some of the best TV I’d seen in years, S2 was toilet in comparison and I gave up about halfway through. I didn’t even know they’d made 3 and 4.

scotroutes

I’m currently watching The Expanse and it is a bit like Heroes in that the notion of Goodies and Baddies is a bit fluid. Makes for more interesting viewing as you find your loyalties swaying.

cookeaa

Lost seemed to suffer from the “Curse of JJ”.
    i.e. gets off to a good start, interesting premise, characters seem to have some depth and plenty of plot points that will needing resolution as things progress. The network wakes up to the positive reviews and higher than expected viewing figures, commission a longer run. Then Mr Abrams realises He never really knew where the story was going, or how to finish it off, let alone treble the episode count. Eventually everyone wanders off mumbling about how crap it became…

I never got past about the third episode of season 2 and had no good reason to revisit. There’s way more interesting things out there to draw my attention…

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I’m currently watching The Expanse

Very good telly but by the end of the last season I wanted to slap “holden” something* about Steven strait just grates, and frankie Adams as Bobbie just doesn’t work for me as an ex special forces type.

*edit, thinking about it he’s just a bit too moody teenager for me.

molgrips
    Free Member

TV series are made by TV studios, which will keep commissioning a show for more series until ratings drop, cos they only care about money. If writers get fed up with this, they leave or are fired and are replaced.

Netflix seems often (but not always) to have a different approach – write the show until the material is exhausted, then it finishes and the writers are free to do write something else. Hence loads of 2-3-4 series shows.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I think the difference in approach is almost entirely down to delivery format.

There’s no need to produce a show for 12 episodes so it fits nicely into the TV schedule which historically (in the US especially) was seasonal. As such to sell a show it had to have a certain number of episodes of the networks weren’t interested as it didn’t schedule well.

With Netflix that doesn’t matter, a 4 episode show doesn’t cause scheduling problems and you’re not selling a 12 week run of ads split over 3 4 week shows like you would have so it frees them up to simply make things the right length.

P-Jay
    Free Member

TV series are made by TV studios, which will keep commissioning a show for more series until ratings drop, cos they only care about money. If writers get fed up with this, they leave or are fired and are replaced.

Yep, look at The Walking Dead, the first series was genuinely one of the best bits of TV ever made, but it didn’t take long to turn it into a cash cow. They pay the stars relatively terribly compared to any other hit TV show, they use the same unused bit of freeway and a couple of large sets for everything. It doesn’t matter if the ratings are half their peak and the story lines repetitive dead ends, because it costs peanuts to make.

HBO still makes the best stuff IMHO, they’re not always perfect, but the don’t drop the quality or start dragging out the story lines if they hit it big.

toby1

I’ve recently started series 14 of Supernatural where even the writers joke about the longevity of it. It’s been silly for ages, but it never really took itself seriously and has had all sorts of daft plotlines, even the main story arcs are usually secondary to the one off fun episodes they make. It’s not clever or challenging TV, but sometimes you just want to be entertained.

molgrips
    Free Member

With Netflix that doesn’t matter, a 4 episode show doesn’t cause scheduling problems and you’re not selling a 12 week run of ads split over 3 4 week shows like you would have so it frees them up to simply make things the right length.

True but Netflix also have the courage to stop a show when the material is worked through. With network TV shows you can see the writers trying to conclude a storyline and the network says ‘no, we want more’ so they do some stupid plot twist to open everything back up again. Inertia means that people continue to watch something until it gets really poor then they just drift away, and the show just stagnates.

Having said that, few Netflix shows are ‘monster/crime of the week’ because when people are bingeing shows they want to follow a big storyline. This format is less amenable to endless episode making.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve recently started series 14 of Supernatural

My wife binged that entire show. It was hard work at times but she made it, champion that she is.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

True but Netflix also have the courage to stop a show when the material is worked through.

I think its more likely their stats tell them people don’t drift away from Netflix and instead just watch the b to z list junk, of which there is oodles and oodles, once the good show runs out and even if they do switch off only a tiny % stop subscribing. vs a traditional network where people do turn over/off making the ad space worth less. Keeping a series going, beyond its obvious end, but holding viewer numbers is important to keep the business afloat.

Not bravery vs “cowardice” so much, just freedom born of a different funding model. (which last time I saw wasn’t paying Netflix’ bills in a way that would bankrupt an old fashioned media company but with web/tech stuff seems the norm)

senorj

I watched the first two series that were free to air . Was ok.
    I did love heroes at the time and I recorded the reunion on channel 5 but only watched two episodes….
    but Dexter! I did all of them.
    Currently deciding wether or not to help junior j out, like dexters dad did. Ha .

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Lost…’ is closed to new replies.