Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Lossiemouth and area
  • Premier Icon MrSparkle
    Free Member

Going on hols up there at end of June. I’ll be taking the gravel bike and fell running shoes. Please advise with some cycling, running and walking routes. Plus owt else worth seeing or doing. Ta.

Premier Icon scotroutes

Moray CoastTrail runs through Lossiemouth (though it’s currently rerouted round the East Beach due to a footbridge being closed).

Quite a few bikers up that way, some on this forum. I’m sure one will be along presently ( @kcal   )

Premier Icon tomlevell
    Free Member

Burghead worth a visit nice cafe in town although some of the locals don’t appear to like them. In Burghead get the key at the Visitor Centre to have a look down the Well.
    Spey Bay dolphin center – Probably a nice ride from Lossimouth
    There’s a massive (pictish I think) stone in Forres to look at.
    Baxters factory shop for all your local produce gifts :0)
    Dallas Dhu Distillery – Not in use but a good look round a Heritage site. (Free if you have English Heritage)
    Duffus Castle just south of the runway.
    I’ll let Callum advise on outdoor riding stuff.

Premier Icon kennyp

For shorter walks (or runs) the Moray book in the Pocket Mountains series is very good. Findhorn is worth a visit, and inland a bit the new centre at Culloden is excellent if history is your thing.

Premier Icon tjagain

Last yaer we walked from Findhorn to burghead and back – one way along the beach the other thru the duneland and woodland. Nice walk

Also saw the pictish stone in Forres

Premier Icon kcal

finally caught up enough to drop into this topic.

Based in Lossiemouth, and with a gravel bike – plenty options to head west towards Burghead as tom says, nice cafe – and beyond through Roseisle forest to Findhorn – more decent cafes and a couple of pubs, one good the other so-so. Can also head east – once you work out the paths – through the woods eastwards to wards Kinston and Spey Bay. Tracks on these vary from firm packed fire roads to really soft sand and pebbles that will sap all your efforts. A spin with no overall height gain will take its toll.

Further afield there are a good number of quite roads heading up and over towards Speyside if you’re feeling adventurous, or further west to Forres on back roads and forest tracks.

Obviously the above work equally for walking and trail running. Nothing too adventurous in the coastal area – some cracking routes in and around Aberlour / Knockando area. Dava Way / Speyside Way for a big day out.

Additions to Baxters – Walkers shop is in Elgin as well as Aberlour, and sells heaps of package damaged stuff – broken shortbread, misshapen cakes, cake ends – for really not much.

Dallas Dhu distillery is – I understand – back in production or will be @tomlevell – that’s quite in the recent past though. So not sure you’d get a tour at present. Plenty of other distilleries about, very few do free tours any more though.

Premier Icon convert

rerouted round the East Beach due to a footbridge being closed

The best thing about Lossie (apart from being my birthplace obvs) is the beach. The sandy end, not stoney end you can get to from the car park at Arthur’s Bridge. The footbridge being out of action properly sucks. I think there is a plan to replace it but sadly not before your trip.

Got to confess despite being born there I’ve only been an occasional visitor for the last 40 years so local knowledge a bit limited. However, best thing about that area is your access to everything else too. I’d be throwing your gravel bike or trail shoes in the car and heading into the Cairngorms for at least one of your days.

Dava way from Forres to Grantown is a gravel bike trip. Not mega inspiring as a ride (disused railway line) but a good off road way to get into the Cairngorms from the coast. You can make a very gravel bike friendly loop using the Dava way then (you’ll need an OS map to find this) picking up the estate tracks just North of Duthill on the B9007 over to Drynachan (the run section of the old Nainshire challenge) and linking it with some very lovely back roads via Dulsie bridge and Logie Steading for a cuppa. Watch out for grumpy farmer in an estate cottage within the first mile of the track. I’d push your bike through his yard if you don’t want a row! Actually Logie Steading is nice to take the family too with Randolph’s leap a short stroll away.

Premier Icon paladin

convert

The best thing about Lossie (apart from being my birthplace obvs) is the beach. The sandy end, not stoney end you can get to from the car park at Arthur’s Bridge. The footbridge being out of action properly sucks. I think there is a plan to replace it but sadly not before your trip.

New bridge next year.
    In the meantime, it’s not that far to walk/cycle from boars head carpark, and some eccentrics paddle across the river at low tide.

There’s loads of decent biking between lossie and spey bay, WW2 gun and lamp emplacements to explore.
    Cycle West to burghead and beyond.

You can go up to the top of the lighthouse too, that’s pretty good.

Premier Icon maccruiskeen

I’ve nothing helpful to add as I’ve forgotten pretty much everything from when I used to live up that way…. except for the Plain Loaf from Maclean’s bakery. It makes absolutely sublime toast.

Premier Icon MrSparkle
    Free Member

Thanks all. Will store all this for future reference.

Premier Icon dahedd
    Free Member

Lovely climb from the Dallas Dubh distillery up the Dava Way then into Newtyle Forest. From there you can take a variety of fire rds up to Loch Rommach. Its well worth a visit, had a spot of lunch there on Monday before heading back to the town to get the boy from school.

If your feeling even more adventurous (spelt that wrong) then you can head up onto the Dava Moor and loop round the the village of Dallas.

Premier Icon stanfree
    Free Member

Im from Elgin originally but never really biked whilst I was living there. As others have said Speyside way is good but has a big section which is unrideable near Tomatin (i think) distillery then good into grantown and Aviemore.
    Locally good beaches at roseeilse and primrose bay . I cycled from carrbridge to Elgin via the dava which was also good and you usually have the wind at your back. Its a lovely area and everyone I know who visits always remarks on why I have never moved back there. It also has a better climate I think than further south hence why the air bases were situated there.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.