Losing the chain guide.

Home Forum Bike Forum Losing the chain guide.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Losing the chain guide.
  • Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Maybe….
    FS or HT, rough or smooth riding? Only way to find for sure is to try.

There will be 50/50 posts on I was fine/it didn’t work to follow

cobbdu1

Hardtail. Nothing savage but I guess I ride a lot at Cwmcarn which is pretty bumpy.

Bagstard

Is it really worth the gamble for 56g?

cobbdu1

I’ve got an shimano saint unramped chainring and clutch type XT rear mech. Do you reckon I can get away without a chain guide?

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

I’d be inclined to try it with the new Works/Wolf Components XX1 style ring, would suggest it won’t work on a normal one.

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

what type of chainguide just the top cage or a full uper and lower, im sure with just the top guide youd be fine

geetee1972

You will 100% need at least a top guide unless your riding consists entirely of roads, towpaths and anything else that is marble smooth.

Even with a top guide, you will lose the chain from the bottom part of the ring. Nine times out of ten, when you pedal forward, the chain will just come back on but occasionally the chain will push down between the back plate of the guide and the chain ring. Then it can be tricky to get the chain back and most likely you’ll need to loosen the top guide to do so.

How often that happens will depend on the type of guide/backplate your using. The e13 back plates are thicker and so stiffer than say an MRP one, which is very pliable. When I ran the MRP 1.X guide, the chain was constantly jamming and in the end I gave up.

Correct set up will not make any difference to whether you keep your chain or not if you’re riding off road and riding with any kind of pace. Nor will using a clutch type rear mech although this does make the bike quieter.

EDIT – all of this insight does not apply to XX1, which I am led to believe really does work.

lornholio

Try it first, the worst that’ll happen is you have to put your chain back on a few times on your first day.

I just had the first ride on my Mega here in Chamonix (very rocky) without my guide because it hasn’t arrived yet (MRP AMG), using a Zee clutch mech. No problems whatsoever, but I’ll be putting the guide on for bash protection and a little extra security for when I’m hitting the rough stuff fast.

fuzzhead

+1 on you’ll need at least a top guide.

I’ve held off putting a guide on my Meta SX as I wanted to see how good the clutch mech was at helping to retain the chain – I still have the front mech on as a top guide – I’e lost the chain a few times, but even on full bore rocky descent it’s mostly OK

Duane…

I thought I could get away with just a top guide on my hardtail, only being ridden on smooth dirtjumps and flowy trails so nothing too rough. However, I’ve had the chain work it’s way off quite a number of times, had to unbolt the guide once as the chain was truely stuck..

Will either be fitting a full guide, or going singlespeed soon..

cobbdu1

It’s not a weight issue. My front mech is direct mount and bottom bracket is pressfit, making it difficult to find a guide at all. I’m wondering if a wolftooth type chain ring may negate the need for a guide.

Premier Icon clubby
    Subscriber

I’ve been running a bionicon chain guide since last summer and its been great. Light, very little drag and I’ve only lost chain once since. Added an extra zip tie to it for stability and I don’t think it would take a big hit but sounds like it may be what you need. A bit too much money for what it is but IMO all chain devices are, but it works.

cobbdu1

The direct mount front mech means the seat tube is a funny shape so I can’t attach a guide here. The pressfit bb means I can’t attach a guide via the bottom bracket.

mtbmatt

Get a direct mount guide, such as the CSixx

Easy to install, works well.

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

does seem poor that a frame would be made pressfit but with no iscg tabs, designers take note!

cobbdu1

The CSixx guide is £99! The cost of chain guides is ridiculous!

cobbdu1

I take it all back. The direct mount one is only £69. Bargain!

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Clutch + normal unramped ring – chain device = total failure, in my experience. Like, put chain back on 6 times in one desdent of falla brae at glentress, hardly the most gnar of trails. Might work with a fancy XX1 device, I doubt it though, lots of SRAM’s paid athletes have refused to do that so that’s not a good sign…

Maybe with a narrow cassette it’d be less of an issue though, change the amount of chain slack.

svalgis

I’ve had some success with a clutch mech, SS chainring and just a bash in the past on a HT. I reckon that it might work well with a XX1-style chainring even without bash. Worth a punt. Just cover the BB shell with an inner tube in the meantime in case you do drop the chain excessively (and buy a chainguide at that point).

MRP or the XCX above depending on the type of direct mount.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=61255

cobbdu1

Clutch + normal unramped ring – chain device = total failure

I thought the ‘normal’ type of chainring was ramped? By ‘normal unramped’ do you mean those that are not of the XX1 type?

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

There are normal Ramped and normal Un Ramped just depends what your doing.
    The Less than normal XX1 has much deeper teeth I’m lead to belive

cobbdu1

MRP or the XCX above depending on the type of direct mount.

How do I know what type of direct mount I have? I didn’t know there were different types!

cobbdu1

Cancel that. I’ve just looked it up. It’s a high mount.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

cobbdu1 – Member

I thought the ‘normal’ type of chainring was ramped? By ‘normal unramped’ do you mean those that are not of the XX1 type?

Yup.

patriotpro

Bashguard only user here.

Have ridden most of the North-Walean trail-centres, Never used a CD, never had problems losing the chain.

The only reason I would currently fit one is to reduce chain-slap noise.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Losing the chain guide.’ is closed to new replies.