Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 146 total)
  • Losing around 6kg in 3 weeks, feasible? Tips & tricks invited :-)
  • molgrips
    Free Member

dinner – 3 high quality 100% pork sausages

Should have just had the salad..

Or eaten the sausages raw.

Point taken… though, I do have to eat something, so making sure it’s healthy and low fat (and in moderation) is a plus right?

Right, now you’re approaching the crux of the matter. Yes it’s eat less and move more, however actually achieving this is pretty difficult. So you end up trying to devise a strategy to help you achieve it, and this is where all the complexity lies.

How many strawberries did you eat? It isn’t going to make any difference TO YOUR WEIGHT if you switch an afternoon choccy bar for half a punnet of strawbs.

hora
    Free Member

Furious masterbation doesnt work. I am living testament to that.

molgrips
    Free Member

Maybe you weren’t angry enough when you did it.

psychle
    Free Member

How many strawberries did you eat? It isn’t going to make any difference TO YOUR WEIGHT if you switch an afternoon choccy bar for half a punnet of strawbs.

probably 6 strawberries and 6 rasberries with around 220ml of yoghurt (85kcal/100ml, so around 190kcal)… so, so far today I’ve had around 650kcal I’d guess?

Don’t worry, the sausages were the last to be eaten for a while, they were in the fridge prior to this whole idea being hatched, seemed wrong to throw them out!

molgrips
    Free Member

Strawberry = 5kcal (about)
    Raspberry = 1kcal

So your snack contained 220kcal ish which is more than a bag of maltesers! Much better for you tho of course.

nickc

Not really much better for you its still just sugar. Just stop eating ok? Why did you have the fruit? You don’t need it it’s just 200Kcal you’ll still have to work off later. You need to be down to about 500 for the Whole day to be getting any where near losing the weight you want to

molgrips
    Free Member

Not really much better for you its still just sugar

It’s natural sugar which has a low GI and is not bad for you. It also has loads of antioxidants and nutrients from the yoghurt.

But yes, my original point was the same as yours nick.

Actually – just got the calculator out – to lose 6kg of fat in 2 weeks you’ll need to use up 2200kcal more per day than you eat.

Not gonna happen.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

loads of antioxidants

You’re going to need LOADS of these if you’re going to survive the increased levels of exercise… green tea?

Molgrips – Possibly you’re right, but… if Psycle does >2 hours of pretty hard exercise a day and only consumes 1600 calories he’s bang on track. Don’t discourage the man!

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Fructose gives you the squits

molgrips
    Free Member

If he does that, he’ll burn out within days. It’s not sustainable. If he exercises hard he’ll be using up muscle glycogen stores so he’ll probably a) crave food like nothing else and b) feel like utter crap.

You could maybe do it with 6 hours of steady low-intensity cycling per day and eating carefully to sustain that.. that might work.

In other words, jack in work and do LE-JOG.

psychle
    Free Member

6kg’s was just a random number chaps, picked mainly because it’d get me below 90kgs again, which would be a nice start 🙂 Probably not realistic in just 3 weeks, but it’s a stretch target to aim for!

Good tip on the antioxidants, shall start drinking a cup or two of green tea to help with this.

Not exercising hard, trying to do everything at around 130-140bpm on the HR watch, trying to keep in the ‘fat burning’ zone I guess? How many calories would around 2-3 hours a day at this level roughly account for? According to the Polar estimate, it’s saying around 700kcal p/hr, would this be realistic (doing spinning, jogging, swimming)?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

C’mon, it’s an experiment and I’m in a ‘the glass is half full’ kind of mood.

So what if he find’s himself down the 24hr garage at 3am gourging himself on donuts in 3 days time….

molgrips
    Free Member

Your ‘zones’ will be different for different sports when measured by HR. Basically, you’re burning *proportionally* more fat when you can still just about talk fairly normally, versus when you are coughing up a lung.

However you’ll be burning fewer calories overall, and iDave will point out that there is a school of thought that if you don’t have enough time to crank out the hours in your fat burning zone you’re better off dong short sharp stuff to raise your metabolism. I think that that may work but it may have side effects with fatigue and/or muscle gain, which could be good or not depending on your goals.

If your Mrs is not at home, could you just ride for 3 hours from work every day? It’d be great but you’d HAVE to do it slowly otherwise you’d get fatigue mounting.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Hard out on the spinning machines it’s possible to do 1200 cal/hr so 700 at steady should be about right.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

uplink – Member
    6kg in 3 weeks

That’s Numberwang

That made me laugh! 😆

Mainly ‘cos I’m an idiot. 🙂

psychle
    Free Member

I had to google Numberwang, had no idea what it meant, figured it must’ve meant loco or something 😆

If your Mrs is not at home, could you just ride for 3 hours from work every day? It’d be great but you’d HAVE to do it slowly otherwise you’d get fatigue mounting.

Will be doing longish rides on my days off, could certainly do one before/after work I guess, but an hour or so in the gym is easier…

C’mon, it’s an experiment and I’m in a ‘the glass is half full’ kind of mood.

So what if he find’s himself down the 24hr garage at 3am gourging himself on donuts in 3 days time….

mmmm… donuts…

Amazingly, I ain’t feeling that hungry, despite a fairly hefty reduction in what I usually snack/feast upon throughout the day… a little light headed though, wonder what that’s about? Just had my plate of salad and 200gms of chook breast, it’s filled me up completely, wouldn’t have thought it possible a week ago 😆

The experiment continues… ’tis a ‘fun’ thing to undertake, gets one thinking about what you’re doing thats for sure!

molgrips
    Free Member

Well that’s a good attitude. I predict though that you will start feeling more and more tired and run down, and feel the need to eat more keenly.

But good luck all the same 🙂

nickc

I’d concentrate my efforts on eating less rather than exercising more.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

NickC I can see your logic, but as Molgrips has pointed out he needs to consume 2200 calories less than he uses every day.
    Basal metabolic rate for a bloke is about 1600, so he needs to do at least an hour of exercise even if he eats nothing.

Psychle I’m 100% behind your efforts… chapeau!

molgrips
    Free Member

How far is your commute?

psychle
    Free Member

How far is your commute?

7 minute walk! 😆 But the gym is smack bang in-between, so that’s handy… what I’m doing is basically making the gym session my commute, which was always the intention when I joined up a year ago… but 12 months down the line and I have hardly used it! 😳

Psychle I’m 100% behind your efforts… chapeau!

cheers guv 🙂 posting on here is going to make it harder to slip up or get slack, a key part of the strategy!

BadlyWiredDog

Why don’t you just aim for a more realistic target that will allow you to make sustainable changes to your diet and exercise routine instead of this comedy blitzkrieg approach which is probably just going to be a temporary blip?

psychle
    Free Member

Why don’t you just aim for a more realistic target that will allow you to make sustainable changes to your diet and exercise routine

The comedy blitzkrieg approach is the first step, kind of a ‘shock and awe’ approach to rebuild/entrench some good habits, plan is to tone it down a bit once the wife is back but definitely want to keep it up!

Jamie
    Free Member

This^^

…and as for this:

…. but as Molgrips has pointed out he needs to consume 2200 calories less than he uses every day.

This should be a slight hint that what the OP is trying to do is stupid.

vinnyeh

This is the important one. I watched my weight increase steadily over a year or so, tried to control it by exercising more, and at the same time justified eating what I wanted by saying that I was burning a lot of calories. Obviously not enough.
    Losing 400 calories is just a matter of 5 minutes of ‘won’t’ power, as opposed to a big session of exercise.
    FWIW, I’ve lost nearly 2 stone on the iDave diet, down from about 15 1/2 stone. Keeping to it less rigidly now, but since it’s more an eating plan, rather than a weight loss one it’s totally changed my eating habits, and the weight is staying off- avoiding bread, potatoes, pasta, dairy products for most of the week seems to be core, and I feel a lot better for it.

molgrips
    Free Member

FWIW, I’ve lost nearly 2 stone on the iDave diet

Over how long?

vinnyeh

lost the first stone before the end of the first month (first week was 6 pounds!!), starting June 29th, then another 10 pounds by first week September. Only another 2 pounds since then, but to be fair- my weight can fluctuate by 2-3 pounds from week to week at the weigh in, I’ve had a few binges, and I’m not sure how accurate or consistent our scales are.

For me though, it worked very well, and wasn’t too difficult (mostly). Then again, it doesn’t seem to have suited everyone- for me, I liked the foods he suggested.

psychle
    Free Member

This is the important one. I watched my weight increase steadily over a year or so, tried to control it by exercising more, and at the same time justified eating what I wanted by saying that I was burning a lot of calories. Obviously not enough.

exactly the same here… back when I used to train 14 times a week for triathlon, this idea would’ve been true, and I think it’s a habit that’s hard to break. Were you a big exerciser/trainer a while back Vinnyeh?

psychle
    Free Member

95.2kg last night before the gym, 95.4kg after (so must’ve drunk enough water yes?)… 94.1kg this morning before the gym, 94kg after… so that’s down from 96.8kg on Sunday night, 2.8kg change… scales are digital ones at the gym.

So… weight is coming off (if the scales are accurate!), but what is it? Purely water, or fat as well? I’m drinking plenty at the gym and 4-5 pints during the day (pissing like a champion 🙂 ), so I should be fairly hydrated?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI6r6APUwK0&ob=av2n[/video]

Go Phsychle! If you’re going to the loo loads, and it’s clear then you’re properly hydrated. You still feeling light headed though?

molgrips
    Free Member

1lb of fat = 3,500kcal

So 2.8kg = 21,500 kcal. That’s 7,000 ish calories a day, including the 2000 you are probably eating you’d have to have been using 9,000 calories a day roughly. Are you secretly a Tour de France cyclist? 🙂

Water loss and large bowel movements, most likely. If you’ve stopped eating loads of salty food then you’ll be losing water quite properly.

AndrewDrummond
    Free Member

Don’t eat after 8pm
    Decent breakfast
    Eat turkey for lunch
    baked potato in the evening
    ensure you are slightly peckish before each meal – if not back off the amount you eat for the previous meal
    run at a slow rate as the ‘fat-burning’ zone is at quite a low heart-rate, or walk
    weigh yourself every morning
    no chocolate
    def no marzipan 🙁

psychle
    Free Member

No large BM’s here (getting all very personal now 😳 ). Hydration has been good, specifically making sure I’m drinking heaps each day, no headache and pissing clear and copiously 😆

It’s not just about what you’re burning during exercise is it though? My metabolism will also be running higher now, right? So I’m burning calories just sitting here and in my sleep, aren’t I?

vinnyeh

Agree with Molgrips. I could have shat for my country the first week or so, then next to nothing. I reckon it’s water, and food in your gut slowly clearing itself out!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

*massages Physchles shoulders*

Don’t listen to ’em, you’re gonna do this.

Sod the slow pace ‘fat burning’ zone. If you have to choose… it’s all about HIIT
    High Intensity Interval Training.

Burns more calories during, and increases basal metabolic rate. Think spinning classes.

For some additional inspiration look to professional skinny person Kate Moss

‘Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels’

molgrips
    Free Member

My metabolism will also be running higher now, right? So I’m burning calories just sitting here and in my sleep, aren’t I?

Not after a couple of days.

Your metabolism might start speeding up a bit after some hard exercise because it has to repair the damage caused by exertion (aka getting stronger and fitter – this is good not bad as it sounds). Also if you build muscle that takes more energy to run.

But it’s not going to triple your metabolic rate in three days.

Sod the slow pace ‘fat burning’ zone. If you have to choose… it’s all about HIIT
    High Intensity Interval Training.

Burns more calories during, and increases basal metabolic rate. Think spinning classes.

This works in some ways but not others. You can only do so much of that before you burn out. And to delay burnout you’ll end up wanting to eat tons.

Long slow DOES work very well but it takes a LOT of hours. However you can do more hours without burning out because it’s slow.

Solo
    Free Member

def no marzipan

really ?

This thread is completely mental
    😆

So its on the right forum
    😉

Pieface

3 week bike tour should do the trick

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Molgrips! I’va had enough of your pessimism (or realism if you want to call it that).

I’m sure psychle’s got enough in him to make it through 3 weeks without completely burning out!

Think like you’re in a chain-gang… think like Luke! Luke’d do it…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n0mgkaEGQc&feature=related[/video]

molgrips
    Free Member

Lol!

Ok then..

*grabs popcorn and drink*

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 146 total)

The topic ‘Losing around 6kg in 3 weeks, feasible? Tips & tricks invited :-)’ is closed to new replies.