Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Lose 14lbs in 14 weeks – best way?
  • cakefest
    Free Member

I am 43 and 5ft 9in and currently weigh 12st 11lbs. I want to lose a stone to help climb quicker. I’ve entered Mayhem solo and want to improve on my position last year, 32/150.

I ride about 4 times per week, with lots of climbing in the Shropshire hills of home:

MTB 2x per week, 2hrs hard effort on hills and easy on the flats and downs;
    MTB 1x per week, 4hrs easy effort throughout;
    Road 1x per week, 2-4hrs easy effort throughout.

I sleep well between 7 and 9 hrs per night. My diet is healthy – fish, tofu, veggie sausages, rice, cous cous, fresh herbs, roasted seeds, lots of roasted veg, lots of fruit, lots of water. Occasional sweet snacks.

While riding I fuel on Jelly Babies and SIS Go or water, and flapjacks and bananas on longer rides.

My weight has been stable at 12st 9-13lbs for about 2 months since Xmas.

I will usually lose some weight from April onwards as the diet changes to lighter summer food, but just wondering if anyone out there has some top tips on losing a stone in 14 weeks.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Eat less than you expend.

jam-bo

Move more than you eat.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

don’t eat anything after 7pm

thetallpaul
    Free Member

Eat lighter summer food now?

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

Reduce portion sizes
    Eat fewer carbs
    Eat more protein
    Use myfitnesspal to track in vs out calories

alfabus
    Free Member

I’ve been exiled to London for work for the last 6 months… was starting to get a bit porky due to big lunches and no riding, so I’m trying a 5:2 diet.

On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I skip breakfast and dinner, just eating a reasonable lunch.

I’ve lost 7kg since new year, so that is about 15 pounds (just over a stone) with no increase in exercise (working away plus young baby == very limited biking 🙁 )

Dave

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

can of worms, this thread will soon explode with advice as theres loads of diets out there to loose weight but in essence eat less than you expend is a +1.

I’ve lost just shy of a stone in nearly 2 months, I can only say what worked for me, more veg, lean greens for breakfast, no treats at all not even on a ride and I cut a lot of carbs out such as bread and cut back on booze. its still slowly coming off and worked for me. Results arent over night nor should they be. 4lbs to go and I reach my target.

mrben100
    Free Member

Stay the same weight and increase power/stamina? (slight tangent).

Some people lose weight at expense of power.

You may stay the same weight but drop body fat percentage.

All in all very ambiguous/rubbish/non-advice sorry.

kcal

My diet is a good bit less healthy than yours — too much bread, biscuits, even oatcakes; too much alcohol as well if truth told;

but at reasonable weight for height (just under your height, bit under 11st.) and can usually keep it at that – I imagine my metabolism is quite high; don’t get as much sleep, and while ride less, usually march around town rather than taking car, in winter other activities – curling – keep me out of the kitchen and using caolries.

But 14lbs in 154 weeks is a fair whack, might need to up the exercise regime a bit, or try intervals on your road rides to get activity levels up – use HRM?

FWIW I have been trying to shed a couple of the rounded pounds, and have been using myfitnesspal – is useful to see where the calorie consumption is coming from. But I’m not disciplined and although I’d lose weight if I cut out some stuff, I’d really rather not!!

thorpie
    Free Member

Juice diet.

woody2000

You need to use (or not put in) about 3000 calories extra a week (rough amount of cals in a pound of fat). Ditch the sweet snacks and move a bit more, 1 pound a week should be easy.

iolo
    Free Member

paging idave, idave to the forum

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

myfitnesspal +1

I just found it usefull to see what ~500Calories looked like when planning a meal. I think one of my problems was ‘sides’. Spag bol is healthy, half a garlic baguette with it has an equal number of calories, but no real value nutritionaly (just fat and carbs).

ChrisI

myfitnesspal – track calories and eat 500 less a day than you burn. In theory this will net you 14lbs in 14 weeks.

I surprised myself in how much I snack and by reducing it just a little bit I’ve been losing 0.5-1lbs per week for the last 6 weeks. As per TINAS, I was amazed at the amount of extras I was adding onto a healthy meal, often just eating too much of a good thing 😳

In 14 weeks this may plateau somewhat so you might need to throw in some new exercise, like weights or kettlebells to keep the loss going.

scud
    Free Member

Try and put some High Intensity Interval work in, I think if you ride a lot the body adapts to that work load, if you “shock” it a bit with intervals or something new like weight training (not heavy weighs, but circuits with little breather in between) it can help get over a plateau and it raises the metabolism greatly so you keep burning calories for a longer period after finishing, seemed to help when looking to drop weight

Also if you are exercising a lot, don’t cut your calories drastically just eat more sensibly otherwise you’ll be knackered by mid week

brakes
    Free Member

I’m the same height as you, and was the same weight (up to 13.5 stone at one point), albeit younger 8) . Last year I got down to your target weight through counting calories and reducing them to 1600 per day, fasting 5 days a week between 8pm and 12pm the next day and going the long way home on my commute (doubling the normal distance) even if that meant I was late or it was raining, oh and not eating pasta at dinner time.
    The key for me was knowing the calorific value of what I was eating which I kept a log of for a month or so until I got used to it.
    Boiled eggs are filling.

peter1979
    Free Member

Do you really need both your arms?

brakes
    Free Member

oh, and I told everyone what I was doing to add a bit of peer pressure.

BigJohn

Lose 14lbs in 14 weeks – best way?

err, a pound a week?

If you Google “the famous idave diet” You will get the basic diet and the basic explanation.

I’ve followed it for a few years and it’s good for weight loss, being a better rider, never being hungry and feeling fit and healthy with lots of energy.

I have always followed it only from Monday to Friday lunchtime, and I’ve never been hyper strict and it has worked for me.

Those who say “eat less move more” leave me speechless.

welshfarmer

My mantra is “eat less, do more”. If you can give up bread completely then I reckon you will lose weight everytime, especially if you only eat the rubbish bread that comes in a plastic bag.

ton

chicken is your friend…… 😀

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Botulism.

miketually
    Free Member

My wife lost 14lbs in January, doing Slimming World.

Or, simple:

Ditch the booze;
    Boiled/poached eggs with smoked salmon for breakfast;
    Salad for lunch*;
    Something from the Hairy Dieters books for dinner*;
    No snacking.

If you do that, you’ll lose weight.

*dinner
    **tea

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

eat less, ride more (whilst wrapped in clingfilm)

or

a couple of years ago, I ate a bad curry. I think I lost a similar amount in 72 hours!

ChrisI

a couple of years ago, I ate a bad curry. I think I lost a similar amount in 72 hours!

Food poisoning is a very quick way to loose some excess poundage. I didnt put on the 4lbs I lost when I was last ill with it 😯

munro
    Free Member

Reduce fruit intake – lots of quick convert fruit sugars. Try exercise first thing on an empty stomach – speeds metabolism and seems to burn fat for me. Drop “white carbs” and bulk up with fibrous greens – loads of carbs in veg.
    That’s what I do food wise and then add in some more cycling – nothing shifts the weight like miles for me.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Apart from diet I added some quality to your training. Your doing a lot of the same. Add different amounts and effort. Should be some interval training. I add a couple sessions in the gym for overall conditioning and a session of hard lengths in the pool. If you want to go up hill faster then where is the hill interval session?

Your body has got used to the same old training regime.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Get rid of everything roasted, water on training not SIS and sweets. Make your own power bars. Sausages aren’t healthy. White chicken turkey is better.

epicyclo

There’s a nice simple way and it’s very old from the early days of cycling, and it’s specifically to help lose weight for climbing.

Go out before breakfast, but after a coffee. Ride a loop that takes you to edge of bonking. Have a protein breakfast – it used to be 2 or 3 eggs and bacon.

And don’t starve yourself for the rest of the day, but don’t overeat either.

Not very scientific, it was just based on what worked.

pondo

If you Google “the famous idave diet” You will get the basic diet and the basic explanation.

Ooo, last thing I was expecting was for doing that to lead to anything interesting looking. Might give that a go, ta. 🙂

dotty197
    Free Member

“Carb the **** up” and train hard…just eat balanced diet and your sorted for life.

craig5

Chop your head off. I know it’s a bit drastic but it will work

matther01
    Free Member

Stay away from bread and booze

rOcKeTdOg

move more eat less, there is no other diet

miketually
    Free Member
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

as a research starting point it’s highlighting something, I guess we will start and see when people on low carb high protien diets get older.

Marmoset
    Free Member

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/10676877/High-protein-diet-as-bad-for-health-as-smoking.html

Uh-oh, high protein doesn’t help either, damn these scientists, I don’t think anyone has confirmed that cake is bad though?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Lose 14lbs in 14 weeks – best way?’ is closed to new replies.