Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)
  • Lord of the rings trilogy………….??
  • ton

for the 3rd saturday night running i am enjoying watching a lord of the rings film.
    watched return of the king 2 weeks ago, fellowship of the ring last week, and watching the two towers tonight.

i think they are the best films ever made.

opinions please if interested………… 8)

Shakey
    Free Member

Great films but would be better to watch in the correct order! 😆

firestarter
    Free Member

book was great not seen films but are you riding wed night thats what i wanna know and where 🙂

ton

yes, and i will let you know..

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I enjoy the films though they took such liberties with the plot!

firestarter
    Free Member

sound cheers fella

lister

never seen them, never read the books.

do i really have a hole in my cultural education or is it just goblins having a scrap? (cos that's what it looked like a minute ago when i flicked past channel4)

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

or is it just goblins having a scrap?

I think it's an involving story (if very long). I've read it at least 5 times over the years.

Kuco

I thought it was Orc's having a scrap.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Tolkein seems to use goblin/orc interchangeably…

Kuco

Besides I thought the original LoTR film was better.

Nezbo
    Free Member

Great films.

Watched a number or times, even got the extended DVD box set, Great escapism for me to escape in to the world of the rings.

lister

you see, I have no idea what your're talking about…am I missing out? I like big long books and quite like sci-fi/fantasy stuff (but prefer straight fiction).
    The maths geeks at school all read the trilogy so it put me off and I've never got round to the films…should I go for the books first or the films if I bite the bullet?

jahwomble
    Free Member

bedwetter friendly & pretentious,effects heavy godawful tosh which is almost entirely unwatchable in my opinion, the books were mind numbingly crap as well. mind you I do seem to be in the minority, so I could be wrong,

er……….. does that answer your question?

Kuco

Books are better though start off with the Hobbit.

sc-xc

they might be good, but they are no Legally Blonde.

pennine
    Free Member

I think it's an involving story

Ever read 1st & 2nd Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen Donaldson?

joe1983
    Free Member

I remember having a day hungover when I didn't get out of bed and watched all 3 on the run – it was class. VERY wierd dreams that night though

Flaperon

Hated the books, loved the films.

lister

now there's a film ^^^ . with you there my man! 🙂 seems to be a lack of blond 'fit' in the orc-y thing…

lister

and now there is a tree talking…i'm coming down on the 'it ain't my cup of tea' side i'm afraid.back to sky sports news 😉

ton

drug inspired??????

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Ever read 1st & 2nd Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen Donaldson?

yes, but the rape scene seemed gratitous (and evil) 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

book superb
    Films superb but they do take liberties.
    Yes you have a cultural hole/bad taste (good film BTW by director) IMHO.

EDIT:

drug inspired?????? [/Quote]

yes me to but did not know you did though Ton 😉

Punk_Drummer
    Free Member

Me personnaly I just don't Get Lord of the Rings, Its not through dislike or anything like that. I would like to read the books and watch the films but for some reason they just don't hold my attention, I think IMO they are a bit heavy reading/watching.

Mind you Know where your coming from did similar with The Original Star Wars DVDs

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Great films made for good sized TV's

The CGI was a bit ropey in places on the cinema screens.

pennine
    Free Member

but the rape scene seemed gratitous (and evil)

As intended I think!

I've read both 1st & 2nd books of the Last Chronicles. I was hoping the third might be out now but looks like 2010. Can't wait to see how Linden Avery and Stave of the Haruchai get on 😀

LOTR film may have taken liberties but without CGI making the orc hordes look real any film would have failed. I first read it in the early 70s like a lot of others, particularly rock climbers. First ascents in the Lakes are littered with names from the books.

adamdv8
    Free Member

read the books, including 'Hobbit' first… loved it

Watched all three films…loved it

Thought about it on a second viewing recently and spotted a massive flaw (based on the assumption we all accept this world exists in the first place) …..but….in the first film wasn't Gandalf rescued by a ferkin massive eagle from the top of a massive tower? why could his new best mate the eagle not have then flown him and the troublesome ring straight to the top of mount doom and dropped the fekker straight in there. Instead he goes and forms this little camp gang, "from now on we shall be known as the Fellowship of the Ring"?? says who? We want to be the "Black Hand Gang" etc etc.

Discuss.

PS I can ruin Shawshank as well!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Oh and irks me that they use the same actor for Gimli and the voice of Treebeard 🙁

lister

go on then, tell me about shawshank…:-)

bikemonkey
    Free Member

why could his new best mate the eagle not have then flown him and the troublesome ring straight to the top of mount doom and dropped the fekker straight in there

I thought that too! Legolas on the back of that eagle wouldn't even have to be than close, he could attach the ring to an arrow and do it from half a mile away.

Do you reckon I thought about this a bit too much?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

why could his new best mate the eagle not have then flown him and the troublesome ring straight to the top of mount doom

it's called "artistic license" 🙂 But it's possible Gandalf feared the power of the ring in the same way Galadriel turned it down when Frodo offered it to her…

dyna-ti

Great movie 8)
    Lots of action,lots of humour.
    And they legitimise smoking drugs 😀

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

And they legitimise smoking drugs

I consider Tolkein's smoking propaganda to be understandably quaint

samuri
    Free Member

Tolkein seems to use goblin/orc interchangeably…

I must have missed something, I thought he was very specific about the distinction between Goblins and Orcs.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

, I thought he was very specific about the distinction between Goblins and Orcs.

ah, well I did miss it! What is the difference ?

Northwind

The films are pretty good, I thought. I was never a fan of the books, massively overwritten, purple prose everywhere… Good concepts though.

The films did take some liberties but I'll forgive all that for NO TOM BOMBADILO. Inspired decision that, what a c**t he was. Though it would have been nice to have the scouring of the shire in it.

Expat
    Free Member

Still keeps plenty of tour guids busy her in NZ.
    this is the place where so and so said this to so and so and by this tree here is where the giant orc was tickled to death by that small elfy bloke etc etc.

robinbetts
    Free Member

Films are some of my favorites. Books are even better. Must admit to having read most of the material (silmarilion etc) multiple times.

Did anyone see the Fellowship of the Ring at the Royal Albert Hall earlier this year? Now that was a performance! Live orchestra playing the score in front of the film on a huge screen. Done really really well.

Two Towers in being done next year, can't wait. Get tickets, if there are any!

Earl
    Free Member

Great movies – extended cuts are much better. But even Jackson admits there is far to much action.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘Lord of the rings trilogy………….??’ is closed to new replies.