• This topic has 14 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Loose sprockets on XT cassette spider
  • matlockmeat
    Free Member

Noticed today the gears were making a strange noise.

Upon inspection a couple of cogs on the centre spider are loose.

So no matter how tight the cassette is done up there is some movement when using 2 of cogs.
    I’m sure I’ve heard of the pins coming loose and developing play on cassettes and it being a possible warranty job.

The cassette is only 3 months old and done very few miles.

Before I bang it back in the post to CRC does this sound like a warranty job that will get accepted?

I don’t want to be without a bike for weeks only to be rejected warranty.

robhughes
    Free Member

Phone them…

damascus
    Free Member

What’s your free hub like? Is that worn?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    matlockmeat
    Free Member

robhughes – Member
    Phone them…
    POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

I’ve never had the pleasure of getting through to them. I was hoping to find out from people on here if it was a common problem.

matlockmeat
    Free Member

damascus – Member
    What’s your free hub like? Is that worn?
    POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

Free hub is in surprisingly good condition.

What bearing would that have anyway? The spider is tight on the freehub. It’s the rings on the spider that are loose.
    So there is no movement caused between the free hub and spider.

The only wear that can occur is between the sprocket and he rivit pin. I can imagine the sprocket will just get looser and looser as it moves around.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Been a few recently, see no reason why that wouldn’t be a warranty job.

matlockmeat
    Free Member

Shout out to CRC. Warrantied it straight away and already have the replacement. They mentioned there is a problem with them doing this.

oldfart

Mine did it as well , don’t think warranty would have worked , cassette was nearly 3 years old ! Sounds like I’d better keep an eye on the new one though . 🙁

al

I’ve had 5 XT cassettes go like that. Shimano deny there is a issue. I’ve been given a new one everytime.

scotroutes

What model of cassette is this? I’ve been using 9 and 10 speeds ok.

welshfarmer

Interesting. I have recent XT cassettes on 3 of my bikes and since fitting I am convinced they all have bottom bracket issues or the cassette is loose on the freehub due to strange noises. I think this needs investigation.

jsync

Thanks for the heads up, just looked at mine and it’s pretty bad so emailed CRC. Model is M771 10 speed 36-11.

al

All M771-10 11-36 here. CRC will just ask for a photo then send you a new one, that’s what they’ve done everytime for me. It’s always been the largest two cogs on the smaller of the two carriers that one loose or indeed come off if you leave them too long. Alloy carrier deforms and rivets come loose.

jsync

CRC are sending a new one out, no fuss.

DT78
    Free Member

Same issue here as well….will be walking for a replacement too

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Loose sprockets on XT cassette spider’ is closed to new replies.