• This topic has 18 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by oxbow.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Loooong roof mounted bike racks.
  • haggis1978

Can STW advise me on which carrier they’re using on their roof bars. My Stumpy’s wheelbase is 1232mm and the Thule ProRide I currently have just won’t cut it. Don’t mind changing to the through axle type variant if required. Looked at a Yakima High-speed but they’re a bit too short as suited for bikes at a max of 1219mm. Thanks

jamesfts
    Free Member

My bike has a WB over 1260mm and fitted fine on my Thule 591.

longmover
    Free Member

A Thule ProRide will just about fit a wheelbase of 1320, 1232 wouldn’t even trouble it. Apparent a Thule UpRide will fit slightly longer but I haven’t tried one.

pdw
    Free Member

Sorry for asking, but have you tried sliding the arm further forwards? It undoes with a few bolts and can then be slid along the rack.

The bend in the downtube of a stumpjumper will make it sit further back on the rack, so you probably need to adjust the arm forwards a bit.

nbt

I have two of these

https://pendle-bike.co.uk/collections/tandem-racks

but then I need to transport tandems

dc1988

As above, you should be able to adjust. My bikes have very long wheelbase and fit fine.

mikertroid
    Free Member

I’ve got a Highspeed….think it would be a bit tight. Think the Thule 595 version would be okay.

hatter

My Thule Upride takes XL Mondrakers and my long old 18 bikes no problem. Clamps on the front tyre as well so good for weird frames or kids bikes etc.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

you defo need to adjust the rack, some are easier than others, you may have to use a hammer to move the poles forward.

honourablegeorge

Have driven from Ireland to ales with a Geometron G1 29er on a Proride, no issues.

sharkattack

Geometron with a 1328mm wheelbase on a Thule 598 no problem. They are adjustable but you need to take them apart and move the arm around.

StuF

You can also turn your bars 180 deg, thus reducing the wheel base – works on my Cotic Soul and old Thule rack

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

If you do go down the new rack route a seasucker or similar isn’t limited by anything beyond the length of your car

docrobster
    Free Member

Likewise, Thule proride 598 here. Wheelbase 1260, I moved the arm a bit to stop the front wheel being too far forward on the rack. Fairly easy to do.

haggis1978

Ahh right ok, thanks. Didn’t realise the arm position was adjustable. Thank you all.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I got a Kona Ute (long cargo bike) on a Thule ProRide quite easily, should be long enough

dhrider
    Free Member

It’s all down to the frame shape / downtube height, not necessarily wheel base.

My L 2018 Nukeproof Mega 275 needed the arm moved backwards to give more space at the front where as my 2021 XL Mega 290 fits on the standard rack with no adjustment needed.

In theory the XL 290 should have been harder to fit than the L 275 but wasn’t the case. I was actually worried the 290 wasn’t going to fit at all given the original overhang the 275 had.

SuperScale20
    Free Member

I have a Stumpy and use Pro Ride 598 with no issues and previously used 591 also with no issues, you maybe need to adjust something to fit.

oxbow
    Free Member

I have Thule ProRide 2-up for me and OH. There is more room from claw to front on the passsenger side. Reversing the fittings changes the geometry.so that I could fit an Orange Five that would not fit on the driver side.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Loooong roof mounted bike racks.’ is closed to new replies.