Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Looks like we've finally been scammed!
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

On the wife’s debit card so the money is pending to be paid. 400 quids worth of mobile phone top ups! 🙄

somouk
    Free Member

Just get it cancelled and inform the bank/police.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Yeah all done, some Russian telecoms company apparently. Just pisses me off, as I’ve got to wait to get my money back! Well assuming I’ll get it bloody back!

footflaps

You’ll get it all back in a few days…

chewkw
    Free Member

Looks like your card has been cloned …

ComradeD
    Free Member

Normally banks will give you the money back straight away now. If, after they investigate it, they find out that its not fraud they will take it back.

rickmeister

Been there too.

Small tester £3 phone top up
    Account opened in Canada on line gambling, £3k down
    Account opened in Russia on line gambling, £2.5k down
    On line mobile credit purchases…

Worked with the fraud team at the bank and all returned then a big fraud story in the news 2 months later.

Check all your accounts and statements..

enfht
    Free Member

I’ve been done a few times, one time though I queried a £200 cash withdrawal made in Liverpool which I’ve never been to, but it turned out the withdrawal was from Liverpool St station. 😳

MoreCashThanDash

My old M&S card was shocking got done several times – nothing expensive as they were pretty quick spotting the dodgy deals. Think the most anyone got away with was an Enterprise hire car and a night at a Travel Lodge in Taunton!

boblo
    Free Member

MoreCashThanDash – Member
    Think the most anyone got away with was an Enterprise hire car and a night at a Travel Lodge in Taunton!

Yeah, yeah. Is that what you told Mrs MCTD when you got found out 🙂

smogmonster

I remeber a few years back i went to check my bank account online just before we were due to head off on holiday to New Zealand…to find my account, and all our spending money had been wiped that morning. Phoned HSBC who said that as i clearly wasnt phoning from Russia, then it was obviously fraud…and stopped the transfer taking place. An immediate refund of the £7k meant that i was able to travel still… just glad i noticed it before we travelled or we would have been screwed.

samuri
    Free Member

I once bought a bike for cash.
    Went to the bank by work, withdrew the grand or so (I’d already phoned the bank to check that this was fine), went to the bike shop, bought bike.

on the way home I stopped to buy some petrol. My card had been blocked because of the unusual activity on it. What? like withdrawing a grand THAT YOU ALLOWED TO TAKE PLACE!!!!! And now you stop me spending a tenner on petrol?

Useless sods. Their checks are pathetic. If they were any good they would identify behaviour exactly like this and stop it before it takes place. I’d like to see banks implement some sort of two factor authentication for amounts over a pre-set limit that you define. If an attempted withdrawal is made, card holder present or not, they initiate an auto connect to your phone, you must then type in your additional 4 digit pin, withdrawal authorised.

binners

Think the most anyone got away with was an Enterprise hire car and a night at a Travel Lodge in Taunton!

Criminals are rubbish nowadays, aren’t they? What does that say about a person when they display such chronic lack of ambition. I know there’s a recession on, but still…. that’s frankly pathetic!

Useless sods. Their checks are pathetic

Samuri… They’re just arse-covering. I used to do quite a bit of work for a large Bank. What you don’t hear (because they make sure it doesn’t get out), but everyone internally knows, is that credit card fraud, cloning etc is a mere drop in the ocean compared to the fraud/scams being perpetrated from within the bank. Ultimately it represents comparatively trifling amounts.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS9ptA3Ya9E[/video]

MrWoppit
    Free Member

How do cards get cloned?

binners

Well wopster… there’s a mummy card and a daddy card, and they love each other very very much…..

wwaswas

a mummy card and a daddy card

and the offspring is called Master Card?

bentudder

My credit card got cloned once while a bunch of us were driving down to Morzine. Someone at the till of a service station probably cloned it.

The teefs then bought hundreds of dollars worth of jelly beans from an online store in Salt Lake City and some antivirus software. Natwest spotted it was dodgy, worked out from my transactions on by debit card account that I was on holiday in France and made sure I could still withdraw money. First I knew of it was when I got home and found a letter from them on my doormat.

Their service a few years later was shocking, however – bad enough for me to leave them and switch to First Direct. Natwest stiffed me completely while I was moving house, and refused to apologise, right up to the point I went into the branch to close my account. Numpties.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

samuri
    Free Member

and the offspring is called Master Card?

No, that’s what the daddy card ends up having for the rest of his life once they’re married.

100mphplus
    Free Member

Wife’s got done last week but bank actually phoned us to check some unusual payments to wonga.com!!

Money never left our account – First Direct are quite good TBH.

wrightyson
    Free Member

So it transpires it was 91 payments in total for £4.48 each time with 91 payments of £1 on top for each overseas transaction. Apparently our debit cards are good for 30 payments a day which they took, give or take any we rudely did to get in their way. I cannot believe the only reason it was spotted, was because the wife rang to see why we couldn’t pay the credit card bill which we pay every month in full.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Looks like we've finally been scammed!’ is closed to new replies.