Viewing 25 posts - 81 through 105 (of 105 total)
  • Looks like that’s me leaving the country then.
  • Caher

18/24 think I’ll move to Spain.

mariner
    Free Member

Tried for a total fail – and failed. 1/24 should have been 0/24 and free one way ticket to France.

taxi25
    Free Member

22/24. Although a couple of those were educated guesses. But your score coming into it cold is irrelevant. The intention is to take the test after a period of study, something to show at least a bit of commitment to your new country. I’m sure plenty of other countries have similar tests.
    I found the study guide linked to on page one is interesting, if I was looking to settle in the UK it wouldn’t be a chore to read through it.

easily
    Free Member

50% – oops.

Could I go back to Thailand please? I liked living there.

v8ninety

12/24; I’m outta here! (If only😏)

**** insular inward looking little Britain with the loonies in charge of the asylum. I genuinely worry for my kids.

prawny

Ahh, yeah retook test 15 and got 11/24 😂

See you all in Belgium

ajaj
    Free Member

The intention is to take the test after a period of study, something to show at least a bit of commitment to your new country.

No it isn’t. Or at least it’s not supposed to be. The reason is to show that “a person has sufficient knowledge about life in the United Kingdom for the purpose of an application for naturalisation”, i.e. to show that you know what you’re signing up for. [Nationality, Immigration and Asylum Act]

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

11/24 and half of the correct answers were guesses.  I’ll move too Hawaii, that’s still part of the Empire isn’t it?

taxi25
    Free Member

No it isn’t. Or at least it’s not supposed to be

??? Of course it’s indended to be taken after some study.

– Life in the United Kingdom: A guide for new residenst” contains all the information that you need to pass the official life in the UK test. You must read and understand the contents of this book in order to prepare for the test.

Studying for the test will both show commitment and educate a person about the UK. I doubt many taking the test resent doing so and would have pride in completing it successfully.

Edukator
    Free Member

show commitment and educate a person about the UK

Britain needs nurses, if they are committed to their job that’s surely commitment enough, and believe me they will soon learn all they need to know about the UK. When I went to work in Spain what I knew about the place wouln’t have covered two sides of A4. That didn’t stop me contributing to the economy, quickly learning to fit it and learn enough Catalan/Castillano to get by. I picked up things about the country and have done ever since, just learning as I went along. If you need a work permit (which you did then) – you work out how to do it, you need somewhere to live – you work out how to do it, you need a bank account – you work out how to do. Knowing in which places el Cid fought with or against the Maures and where he is buried, or where Napolean’s army got ambushed (I’ve walked to both of them) makes no differnce to anyone in Spain as I walk along a Spanish street.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

I’ve lived here from birth and got 8 correct and probably genuinely only knew 4 of those answers, the others were lucky guesses.

It’s almost like they want people to fail if those are real questions 🤔

batfink
    Free Member

Aussie citizenship test (official practice version) linked below:

straya

Got my citizenship a couple of months ago, since then we’ve had droughts, bushfires, giant funnel-web spiders, hailstones the size of golf balls, and now pestilence….. still rather be here than Borisland.

brads
    Free Member

And I care not one jot.

garage-dweller

Can I skip the test and just relocate to somewhere with some nice biking and sailing and be done with it?

pinetree
    Free Member

Well I’m out too – 14/24 though I’ll admit the majority of them were lucky guesses.
    Just as well we buggered off last year…

I don’t know how I feel about these kind of tests. On one hand it is good to educate yourself on the history of the place you’re living; but on the other it’s pretty unfair to expect people to go and study history that many, if not most, citizens of said place wouldn’t have a clue about.

dudeofdoom

Hmm same sorry score here 12/24.

Didn’t know we clebrated Vaisakhi Thou 🙂

This smells like another of those outsourced from the government to their buddies money making scam.

I’m really not sure knowing the answers to any of it has any Tangible benefit.

dudeofdoom

Absolutely no mention of monty python or the two world wars we single handily won 🙂

locum76
    Free Member

There should be questions about passive aggression, queuing, rosy tinted reminiscing about war, the good old days and respecting your elders even when they’re arse holes.

pondo

Studying for the test will both show commitment and educate a person about the UK.

Well, it will apart from the questions that are wrong.

stevextc
    Free Member

Well, it will apart from the questions that are wrong.

They are not “wrong”, they are the answers the government has decided best represents it’s narrative.
    If the study guide say’s the Brexit Bonus is £250M then that is the correct answer for the purpose of the test.

Hence it perfectly educates someone for living in the UK. Obviously Sajid Javid would fail if he kept insisting it’s not £250M… as that is not the answer required or published on the side of a bus.

alpin
    Free Member

Wow… 13/24 on the first test.

20/24 on another test.

Questions and answers don’t seem that relevant to the majority of people. Sikh and hindu festivals?
    When was Giants Causeway created?
    When did the first agriculturalists arrive in UK?

I had to do the German citizenship test which I remember being somewhat more relevant than the UK test.

alpin
    Free Member

Haha…. Just got 20/20 on the Aussie test.

There’s an example of a test that is relevant to the country and its laws.

stevextc
    Free Member

I had to do the German citizenship test which I remember being somewhat more relevant than the UK test.

The UK test is more relevant to the UK today though….
    It’s a test in being able to answer with what the government has determined is the correct answer, even when it’s technically incorrect.

alpin
    Free Member

Orwellian.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

And they even make the spouses of British citizens do it, after putting them through 1 2k Visa to get married, 1 2k FLR M visa, a second 2k FLR M visa – followed by a 3.5k ILR visa after 5 years. At each stage they ask you for letters, holiday photos, private correspondence, a reason why you can’t live in your souses country, bank statements (which if you print, you have to get signed by the bank but not before 28 days before your visa application).

You get anything wrong? Pay again or **** off home.

The people who push for this shit genuinely think all the brown people are out to take everything off them.

We also have two tier citizenship in this country, if you earn 18k and above – you have the right to apply to have your spouse live in this country with you. If not, you’re an unworthy sub-citizen and should **** off and die whilst we take your benefits off you for the bantz.

Viewing 25 posts - 81 through 105 (of 105 total)

The topic ‘Looks like that’s me leaving the country then.’ is closed to new replies.