Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 167 total)
  • Looks like PlanetX aint afraid of Mr Jones
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

It’s amazing isn’t it.

Such a subtle change they made yet it manages to make the bar look total ass.

Looks like a Jones and a Confucius made love.

I’m still curious why JJ and biff took exception to alpkit doing similar bars when humpert have been doing them from years -unless of course the extra width was the part they applied for a patent on.

postierich
    Free Member
    garage-dweller

That should be called the “are you taking the” bar.

dmorts

“Wolves did it” Hahaha. “You won’t get a drop on you Brian”

officerfriendly
    Free Member

Great, I can finally try some. The UK prices for the Jones bars are taking the piss.

ampthill

I thought Humpert stopped doing Jones copies

trail_rat
    Free Member

Great, I can finally try some

Why finally ? Plenty of options for backswept bars.

These are no more trying Jones than buying any of the other back swept bars …

trail_rat
    Free Member

While technically you are correct ampthill they just moved the space bugle and boomerang to their ergotec brand.

Poopscoop

I wouldn’t mind giving one of them a go at that price.👍

iolo
    Free Member

There does seem to be a lot more stealth On One ads on this forum once more.

ampthill

Or a few threads linking to products might want to know about …

sillyoldman

All I’m seeing is links to products that point PX out to be utter douchebags. Some things will never change.

montgomery
    Free Member

Pre-ordered, thanks. Could be the bar to replace the various Marys I’ve been using for the last 12 years.

whitestone
    Free Member

Longish thread on BB about it – http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13945 – seems like it’s straight from a Taiwanese catalogue.

For the record, I’ve two sets of Jones Loop bars. Agree with the comment that the UK prices are exorbitant especially the carbon bars.

martinhutch

I wonder if they’ve licensed all the League of Gentlemen stuff on their product lines and website? Their attitude to Jones suggests not…

Cheezpleez

Swept bars of various designs have been around for yonks. These aren’t exact H-bar copies but they are very obviously inspired heavily by them.

I admire Mr Jones’ innovation and I understand that he’s developed a business model that hangs on the perception that he produces ‘premium’ products but I also instinctively dislike the idea of the benefits of innovation being restricted to those few who can afford them.

IANAL but I doubt JJ has a legal case for preventing ‘copies’ of loop bars like this. Given the absurd pricing of the originals (especially in the UK), I’m not sure he has much of a moral case, either. I’m conflicted.

Cheezpleez

I’ve had a Jones bend bar (no loop, same sweep) and now have an Alpkit FMC (same sweep plus loop), which I actually prefer. Not entirely sure why but it’s slightly narrower, which may be it. The On-One bar is from the same catalogue, I believe, but is labelled as 710 rather than the 660 or 680 (forget which) states for the Alpkit bar.

richardthird

This could actually drive Jones sales. Try the PX one, like the shape, buy the blingier one.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

This could actually drive Jones sales. Try the PX one, like the shape, buy the blingier one.

By that logic everyone that bought Alpkit bike bags would now be using Revelate Kit.

They don’t.

They just stick with the cheap stuff.

Fair one really, if it ain’t broke, why fix it?

brant
    Free Member

I believe, but is labelled as 710 rather than the 660 or 680 (forget which) states for the Alpkit bar.

Because I don’t pick something straight out of a catalogue if we can make it better.

Be quick if you want some. First preorder will be sold out by end of weekend I reckon.

bullheart
    Free Member

… and he’s back, ruby slippers a’ rubbin’…

greyspoke
    Free Member

As far as I can tell, the patent application never made it through to grant, though patent searching is not much of a skill of mine. Of course, Jones may have been asserting other types of rights in the design.

ton

about time someone brought a good copy out that are cheap. Jones have been having our pants down for years. and I have had a few sets, so should know.

duckman

Well it got me to look at the PX site for the first time in a while. Good to see even updated models have “142 through axles for strength” Must have got a total bargain on a job lot of wheels and recon forks.

DezB
    Free Member

Well done Planet X. Sensible price instead of ‘hahaha! niche mtbers are ****!’ price charged by Jones.
    More power to em.

brant
    Free Member

Duckman – I thought you were the guy who likes standards not moving forward?

restlessshawn
    Free Member

Was very tempted to try some as I wonder if I didn’t give the loops I had long enough before deciding they weren’t for me.

Think I am going to hold out for the bull moose revival though. About 20 deg sweep, 700mm wide and 70-80 mm stem and 20 mm rise please 🙂

duckman

Nope, you must be mistaking me for somebody else. I don’t like change for changes sake, but also like to be able to replace wheels etc. It’s why I will buy the Ribble 872 disc instead of the RT80 in March….Well; that and having the misfortune to expect PX to get the correct rear mech hanger out to me for my Dirty Disco in less than 3 attempts, which meant I couldn’t take it on holiday with me. But you weren’t there at that point so it would be churlish to lay that at your door.

5plusn8
    Free Member

At the risk of appearing thicker than I usually do, isn’t the loop just extra weight? Isn’t where the stem goes, the stiffness and where your hands are the only thing that you need? Surely the most efficient way of doing this is a basic swept bar with the geo, diameters and butting of your choice?
    The loop thing is pointless no?

greyspoke
    Free Member

I think it is for holding with the hands. And partly for attaching the brake levers to.

whitestone
    Free Member

@5plusn8 – The loop gives you a couple more hand positions. You’ve also got more room to mount lights, GPSs, etc. without getting in the way of hand positions.

@greyspoke
    – the brakes (on Jones at least) go on the backsweep just behind the join.

greyspoke
    Free Member

The patent application suggested they go forward of the join.

whitestone
    Free Member

Never actually seen the patent application before – the manual that comes with the bars has them just behind the join with the comment “Position your levers up to but not touching the crossbar joint

whitestone
    Free Member

@brant – any reason you didn’t go for a different sweep angle?

brant
    Free Member

@brant – any reason you didn’t go for a different sweep angle?

Factory tooling dictated that angle on this batch.
    I’ve got some new tooling going through and we’re looking at some new versions. This was (as much of what you’re seeing) first raft of products landing for our new push with the brand.

Our Nitto made bullmoose will come in three different specs as Nitto, me and my dad disagree in what’s right. I guess that’s why most bars are adjustable 😂

matt_outandabout

first raft of products landing for our new push with the brand.

This is good. I used to buy a lot from OnOne – decent products, good price and all that.

I stopped buying when items arrived incomplete or just plain wrong – and then the multiple issues of QC and refusal to deal with things seemed to arrive after you had left.

Is there an upgrade of the customer services as well, or will come back to you Brant having to step in online again?

restlessshawn
    Free Member

Any hints on the bull moose specs ?

I used to have laverda jota bars on a moto morini back in the 99s why can’t someone make a bicycle version so we can adjust away

scotroutes

first raft of products

Going after Alpacka too?

brant
    Free Member

Going after Alpacka too?

Just outdoor swim for now, but packrafts are on the list.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/outdoor/swimming

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 167 total)

The topic ‘Looks like PlanetX aint afraid of Mr Jones’ is closed to new replies.