Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Looks like I'm going to London!
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

But thankfully not till next August. With the Mrs, to ‘see a show’ & ‘visit a couple of museums’ How can I get out of it? The only positive part I can think of is the train ride back. 😕

footflaps

London on a nice day is lovely. Free Wifi outside the Science Museum as well, provided by my companies kit…

Exhibition Road from Science Museum Roof by brf, on Flickr

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Could be worse. You could have to spend the day in some cultural vacuum of a grim Northern shithole of a town filled with chippy Northerners whining.

😉

Embrace it, have fun. It’s a truly wonderful city.

ktmblag
    Free Member

you could leave her..i hate the place

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

But thankfully not till next August. With the Mrs, to ‘see a show’ & ‘visit a couple of museums’ How can I get out of it? The only positive part I can think of is the train ride back.

If you don’t wanna go, can I? Seriously.
    That’s my favourite day out in the world. We do it at least once a year, we either take our bikes and cycle round or hire Boris bikes, we go and see some sights (museums, the Tower, Olympics, whatever), some history and some wonderful sights, go for a meal (the best food in the world, I’ve eaten in London) then to the theatre or the Comedy Store. Then train home.
    Expensive? Yes. But worth every penny. If you’re bored of London, it’s time for the old fogeys home! 🙂

Kryton57

Could be worse. You could have to spend the day in some cultural vacuum of a grim Northern shithole of a town filled with chippy Northerners whining.

He’s already been here at StW for some time.,..

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

That’s the thing you see, I don’t do ‘towns’, unless theyr’e friendly ones, which in 1994 (last time I was there) London wasn’t.
    My son lives in Camden & he can’t believe how friendly people are oop North compared to London!
    I don’t even like shows or museums. 😕

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

we either take our bikes and cycle round or hire Boris bikes, we go and see some sights (museums, the Tower, Olympics, whatever), some history and some wonderful sights, go for a meal (the best food in the world, I’ve eaten in London) then to the theatre or the Comedy Store. Then train home.

What! You do all that in one day? You must be on a different time scale to me pal.

shifter
    Free Member

Don’t do towns & don’t like shows or museums, so why the hell are you going to London to do those things?!

MrSmith
    Free Member

[/quote]How can I get out of it?

Letter from your doctor? Feign illness? Or just man up and don’t go. What’s the point of travelling all that way if you don’t like going to London?

allthepies
    Free Member

Dude, stay up North.

tonyg2003

There are some great bike shops in London. Hire a Boris bike (so heavy they make their own gravity) and plan a tour of the really good/quirky ones.

Either that or bring your bike, leave her in London and we can show you around the Surrey Hills! Train Waterloo to Dorking. Sorted

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Well really it’s cos of my lovely Mrs, who has traipsed up to Fort William very year for the past 8 years to watch the SSDT! (she loves Scotland but isn’t much interested in magicians like Duggy Pumpkin riding trially bikes)
    So now it’s my turn.

Edit, PeterPoddy, if I die (or slit my wrists) before next Augoost, you can go instead. But forget about biking. She don’t do biking)

shifter
    Free Member

Well she has a point! I was very sceptical before my first ever show, quite enjoy them now.

zippykona

Get this, we have a switch on a wall and when you move it the room is magically filled with light.
    No flames involved at all.
    It must be worth thr trip down here just to see that.

johndoh
    Free Member

Are Boris Bikes heavy? I was so pissed I didn’t notice last weekend on my 1am jaunt around Regents Park 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

John, you should try and session one at the South Bank!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

John, you should try and session one at the South Bank!

whilst you can…

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Get this, we have a switch on a wall and when you move it the room is magically filled with light.
    No flames involved at all.
    It must be worth thr trip down here just to see that.

WOW! Is that this ‘electrickery’ that we’ve heard about.
    (wev’e still got gas televisions oop north tha knows!

benslow
    Free Member

Footflaps …

Was that out on the flag platform ?

Had many a smoke out there when I worked at the museum ….

Are you with Convergent ?

jekkyl

Cycling a Boris bike through hyde Park and alongside the serpentine, with all the youths & black fellers roller blading & skating past you is great. You don’t get that up north!

MrSmith
    Free Member

Cycling a Boris bike through hyde Park and alongside the serpentine, with all the youths & black fellers roller blading & skating past you is great. You don’t get that up north!

You don’t have people of different ethnic origin in the provinces? Well I never.
    😯

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

with all the youths & black fellers

Whoaa, hang on a goddam minute there bwoy, I ain’t goin nowhere near no black lumberjacks!

grum
    Free Member

There’s some great museums and nice places to eat in London. It’s nice to visit but every time I go it reminds me of how glad I am I don’t live there.

Going to see a ‘show’ sounds rotten though.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Going to see a ‘show’ sounds rotten though.

‘The Bodyguard’ apparently. I (reluctantly) saw ‘Jason & His Amazing Technocolour Waistcoat’ in about 1986 at the London Palladium.

It was shite.

easygirl

If you are bored of london, you are bored of life

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I mustv’e been bored since 1994 then. 🙄

I get a bit claustrophobic with all those miserable commuters on the underground to be honest. Although I can see why they’re all so miserable. 😉

skaifan
    Free Member

Rather you than me. Ill only go if someone is paying me.

user-removed
    Free Member

I’ve been many times but the only visit I enjoyed was the one I took by myself. I had a photography job for an intellectual society – a mass debate (really!). I had three days to kill between two events and just wandered about with my camera, soaking it all up – the markets, the tourist stuff, the back streets.

With no clue as to where I was or where I was going, I hopped on and off the tube wherever the notion took me. Second best holiday I ever had – got some cracking photos too.

khani
    Free Member

It’s ok, loads of different nice food all over, a show can be good, the museums are good, if it’s a nice day it’s nice 😀
    If she mentions the Opera, kick her in the Fanjio and run…

ask1974
    Free Member

‘The Bodyguard’ apparently. I (reluctantly) saw ‘Jason and His Amazing Technocolour Waistcoat’ in about 1986 at the London Palladium.

My wife went to see the Bodyguard recently and quite enjoyed it. I however, let her go with her sisters and stayed home, London maybe one of the best places for a day/night out but there’s no show on earth that’ll get me on a train… I sympathise 😐

Might I suggest that you arrange for an early viewing so you can go eat/drink/dance somewhere fun afterwards, at least that gives you something to look forward to 😉

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

The tickets arrived & I inadvertently saw how much they cost.

£174 for two tickets. To a show.
    It better be the best thing I’ve ever ever seen in my entire life, in fact it wants to better than anything I’m even liable to see, ever. If I didn’t love her I’d kill her.

shifter
    Free Member

Don’t be going in with that Mr Grumpy face!

Onzadog
    Free Member

I love the running joke about electricity reaching the north yet. Hilarious if you actually know anything about the history of electricity generation and networks.

I don’t come from the north, but I’m really no fan of London either.

MrSmith
    Free Member

It’s a west end show, it will be a pile of pony. Like amateur dramatics with added singing of songs you don’t really like.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Why not just let your wife go with someone that might enjoy the experience, It’ll be better all round. You can stay at home and do whatever it is that you like doing. Your wife can enjoy her trip without the constant reminders about how much stuff costs and how unfriendly people are and one of her friends can get a free day out.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

It’s a west end show, it will be a pile of pony. Like amateur dramatics with added singing of songs you don’t really like.

Eggs fooking zactly!

Why not just let your wife go with someone that might enjoy the experience, It’ll be better all round. You can stay at home and do whatever it is that you like doing. Your wife can enjoy her trip without the constant reminders about how much stuff costs and how unfriendly people are and one of her friends can get a free day out.

Like I could stay at home & go biking? Excellent, why didn’t I think of that? 🙄

‘Enjoy the experience’

Yeah right. Whatever. I’d rather go bivvying with Dr P!

toby1

Tip 1, don’t use the tube, get on a bus or walk, or even in summer just bike. Tip 2, find something you want to see or do there plenty there and if you keep moaning about it to the wife it’ll only end in a fall out!

AlasdairMc

Loads to do in London if you hate the place. Personally I’ve grown to love it in small doses as I’m there quite often.

What about war museum type things? Churchill War Rooms, HMS Belfast etc? Plenty of good food to be had, and not just the arm and a leg fine dining. Loads of good pubs with local ales too, and again not too expensive if you move out of the centre.

Avoid Covent Garden like the plague though. On a weekend in summer it’s impossible to wade past all the tourists at any pace.

CountZero

Miseryguts! Don’t like museums or galleries? I’m from a smallish market town in North Wiltshire, surrounded by open countryside, but I love going up to London, there’s just so much to see and do, without even going to a museum. You could walk across Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens, go over to London Bridge and wander around Borough Market, then go up the Shard, or walk along the South Bank, go and look around Tate Modern, which is chuffing huge!, and free. Go over to Greenwich, have a look at the Cutty Sark, catch the river boat back.
    The words ‘uncultured’, and ‘yokel’, spring to mind. 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Looks like I'm going to London!’ is closed to new replies.