Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Looking to give up Egg Beaters for Time Atac
  • twoniner
    Free Member

Anyone have any good views on the Time pedals?

I’ve been using Egg Beaters for years and always had mid range pedals but just recently found that they need a little more TLC, especially the last 2 set’s I bought (new), always get that annoying clicking while riding.

I like the CB pedals because of the bit of float they have so that’s why I fancy tye look of the Time Atac’s, whats the build like on them? smooth, fit and forget or do they need a lot of TLC?

I dont really want to go back to Shimano if I can help it.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Anyone have any good views on the Time pedals?

I’d be very surprised if you can find anyone with anything that isn’t a good view on them!

Bombproof, brilliant pedals. Do it.

mangatank
    Free Member

Build and quality of Time is excellent, but I moved from Eggs to Atacs and really didn’t get on with them. My cleat seemed to pivot on the pedal too much and I suffered my only clipped-in crashes while using them. That was a few years ago though. Tried Looks instead and found them to be my perfect mtb pedal for years until they were suddenly destroyed at a trail centre. Now back on my (re-greased), 2004 egg beaters, and really glad I am too!

alaric

I had the same experience of Egg Beaters a few years ago.

Also frustrating having to pay extra for “Premium cleats” to get any vaguely reasonable life out of them and also having the pedal eat into my shoe sole! Oh, and replace bearings every few months…

Changed to Time I’ve never replaced a cleat or bearing. I’ve killed one pedal by wearing through the plastic body (most models now have metal at this wear point) and that took about 5 years…

Do it!

40mpg

Used Times for years. Get the Roc Atacs with the metal plate as they last longer (ie 5 years instead of 4 – the resin platform does eventually wear giving a bit of sideways wobble under the shoe).

Bearings are indestructible, and never had problems with my knees after switching from SPD’s (that was the reason for the change).

Edit – see ^^^ !

Clobber
    Free Member

Time for the win! I won’t buy any other sort of pedal again… I suppose they will wear our eventually…

benji
    Free Member

Out of interest how are the times with muddy conditions, as the egg beaters are superb in really muddy cyclocross events when your shoes are full, and the pedals can’t fill as there is nothing to really fill.

Clobber
    Free Member

Time are great in mud

mrmo
    Free Member

If you want to risk something different, Time have licensed Mavic to make the pedals. I don’t know what changes Mavic are making though.

But have used Time for 20 years, they last for years, the older ones are IMO more durable than the newer ones, but the new ones aren’t exactly fragile!.

mogrim

Bomb and idiot proof, great pedals (albeit a bit on the chunky side…)

spacemonkey

I’ve done 1000s of miles on my ATACs and they are indeed bombproof. Cleats work perfectly too.

P20

Times for some 14yrs. Brilliant bit of kit.

z1ppy

I’m a big believer in Time pedals, but will give Eggbeaters the nod for being the ultimate snow/mud pedal (but not by much). That said, given the maintenance requirment of the EB’s and habit of falling apart mid ride (I’ve witnessed), I’ll be sticking with the Time.
    As for idiot proof, well MTQG managed to break a set within a couple of rides (1st and only time I’ve heard of this), to be fair to him though he does manage to break near enough everything he touches 😉

crispy
    Free Member

Time Atacs replaced my eggbeaters and Candy2s and lasted for years with nothing but brilliant service.

Wish I had known about them from the start.

swavis

I’m still using a set of Time Z freerides, I think they’re about 8 years old and still going strong.

vinnyeh

Out of interest how are the times with muddy conditions, as the egg beaters are superb in really muddy cyclocross events when your shoes are full, and the pedals can’t fill as there is nothing to really fill.

Because the cage has fallen off?

benman
    Free Member

Got Atacs of some description on every bike. Oldest pair about 4 years old – I’ve never touched the bushings or bearings. All I do is grease the external springs now and then when they start creaking.

hammyuk
    Free Member

I have a set of ATACS here I don’t use – personally found them too tight on the cleats causing my one accident.
    Bulletproof pedals, took everything thrown at them just a touch tight in the springs in/out for me.
    Make me a sensible offer 😉

wobbliscott
    Free Member

In 2 yrs of riding my mate had carried out 2 bearing replacements on his mallets vs. nill to my £40 Time’s. They really are fit and forget.

bigdawg
    Free Member

Ive been a user of time atacs since the first pedals (still got them as I found out the other day) and after reading the reviews bought a set of the new carbon ones (XC8)for as much as anything the weight – during the summer and dry hot bits they worked faultlessly then a couple of semi muddy races and different story – one of hte beauties of atacs was always their mud clearing properties, first off I had huge problems clipping in with mud in the pedal and then when cleaning them noticed that theyve put in a kind of little tunnel in the back of the pedal where the mud is supposed to go into when you clip in, however it was clogged solid, the sticky clay type mud had blocked it totally, hence my problems clipping in but when I took them off to clean the pedal was at least twice its normal weight, and it was a right bugger to clean out too.

For muddy races Ive started putting my old pedals back on…

twoniner
    Free Member

Make me a sensible offer

My emails in my profile if you want to pop a couple of pics over. What sort of use they had and what model Atac?

Cheers.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Looking to give up Egg Beaters for Time Atac’ is closed to new replies.