Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • looking for vegan biking gloves 661 etc
  • ratswithwings
    Free Member

Looking for a pair of vegan biking gloves for winter. Anyone?

Can anyone tell me which 661 gloves are vegan aswell.

cheers

float
    Free Member

…wut 😆

alfabus
    Free Member

My fox sidewinders are partial to the odd pork pie.

I’m pretty sure my old endura strikes were veggie, but they would still ocassionally drink cows milk, so no good.

Sorry.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    njee20
    Free Member

What?

Serious question… but what excludes ‘normal’ gloves? They’re not made of leather or owt. Winter gloves in general, Gore get my vote. No idea on their ethical origins though.

MTG’s your man!

Junkyard
    Free Member

most are synthetic leather so it would be down to the glues – why not e-mail a manufactirer and wait a long time for a response?
    I use ALDI ones as they are material one the outside but wind and waterprof due to BBT { Bin Bag Technology]

What winter boots do you use and do you wear merino?
    Serious questions and I am probably the only non troll on here as I am also a vegan

ratswithwings
    Free Member

Yeah I’ll do a couple of emails. No, no merino. Winter = summer for me in the footwear dept. Skate shoes and wet feet.

I don’t check with manufacturers for what glue they use, I just look at the materials listed on the label.
    I’ve got Halfords, Tenn and Fox fingerless gloves, Halfords full fingered and a pair of unknown winter gloves which I think I got in the last Aldi or Lidl sale.

chrisdw
    Free Member

Vegans are a peculiar breed 😉

lostboysaint
    Free Member

Why no merino? You’re not eating it, nothing’s died in the process of manufacture.

Vegans are a peculiar breed

It’s not me, it’s everyone else.

AlexSimon

I don’t think the guy/gal asked for a debate on the ethics of wool production ffs.

As mentioned, it’s difficult to find info other than the materials used.

I haven’t found any leather/wool/felt on the last 3 pairs of gloves I’ve bought. 2 years of Fox Sidewinders and Endura Singletrack. I looked at TLD too and they didn’t have any leather.
    Not many do these days as far as I’ve seen.

aracer
    Free Member

Hmm – what about the ethics of producing synthetics? How many cuddly bunnies get killed to build a chemical works? I bet you haven’t thought of that have you, eh, eh?

binners

Has there ever been a vegan glue sniffer?

Northwind

Incidentally, lots of people think Pittards leathers- fairly common in gloves- are synthetic but they’re not, it’s modified sheep leather IIRC. So watch that one.

lostboysaint
    Free Member

I don’t think the guy/gal asked for a debate on the ethics of wool production ffs.

No they didn’t but I’m genuinely interested so I thought I’d ask.

I’m sure they’re delighted that you felt the need to stand up for them like though. Fancy them do you?

epicyclo

I think it’s cruel to skin Vegans for glove leather… 🙂

(Sorry!)

nealglover
    Free Member

I was wondering about the “no merino wool” thing too.

Genuine question, what’s the reason behind not wearing merino ?

I understand the reasons for the leather and the glue etc.

ncfenwick
    Free Member

The no merino thing is because of cruelty to the sheep apparently.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

It’s a yes from Me, . . but I’m guessing a no from yew?

justatheory
    Free Member

I think it’s to do with the way Merino Sheep have been bred to overproduce wool that they can’t shed naturally, apparently they are prone to heat exhaustion. Additionally their skin is wrinkly, which causes problems. Then there’s the usual cruelty associated with mass farming – cramped holding pens, transportaion etc. There is a practice called mulesing which is especially cruel.

Where there’s money to made out of animals, cruelty and suffering is all too common unfortunately.

lostboysaint
    Free Member

Seeing as the gobshite up the board couldn’t be bothered to answer (presumably off stalking the OP and hoping for his celebratory thank-you shag) I spoke to a vegan friend of mine and got a very similar answer to what’s just been posted by justatheory.

Interesting to know these things, shame that some on here are so **** pompous that they’re not prepared those of us ready to listen.

binners

Would you still be able to do this type of thing while wearing vegan gloves?

Or do they not cast a shadow?

justatheory
    Free Member

You can’t wear Fox gloves either – the fox symbol infringes the animal’s image rights.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘looking for vegan biking gloves 661 etc’ is closed to new replies.