Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Looking For Coffee Beans
  • Milkie
    Free Member

Looking for Coffee Beans for a Bean to Cup machine for Espresso & Americano’s.

My go to bean has bean Spiller & Tate but could really do with a bit more variety! I’ve tried Coffee Masters & Hampshire Coffee and find them quite good, but tend to go back to Spiller & Tate.

What beans do you use/recommend?

RicB

Pact are good

Used Rave previously, who were also good but a bit expensive

Very easy to manage the Pact subscription

5thElefant
    Free Member

After trying lots we settled on Pelican Rouge 1863.

Pyro

I have a Pact Coffee subscription that I got gifted a couple of years ago that’s good for interesting stuff once a month. Other than that, I buy regular top-ups from Break Fluid, and if I’m in town and it takes my fancy, grab a bag of Square Mile Red Brick from my local nice coffee house.

the00
    Free Member

We have had a subscription from Dusty Ape for 4 years. Enough variety through the year that we haven’t felt the need to change.

Alex

https://jamesgourmetcoffee.com/ – great coffee, Peter (who runs it) is an absolute coffee genius. He’s been at it 30 years and he’s still so enthusiastic.

Loads of variety, lovely people to deal with, all ethically sourced….

mariner
    Free Member

Have you had a look at Union Roasters?

sobriety
    Free Member

I use:

Stewart’s Coffee of Trent Bridge

As they’re my local coffee roaster, and the coffee is more than good enough for my tastes.

johndoh
    Free Member

My bean of choice for some time has been the Guatemalan Elephant bean from Whittard’s – half the price of many of the beans above but I find it makes a wonderful espresso.

tmb467
    Free Member

Coffee Gems

I’ve had some lovely coffee off Ricardo at Coffee Gems. He does a lot of the markets down here in Henley & Wokingham and he’s a nice guy

Fresh beans and very tasty covfefe

BillMC
    aP
    Free Member

Rosie and Java in Richmond.
    We buy single estate and vary throughout the year to suit how we feel about things.

jamesmio
    Free Member

Farm Boy Brews keeps the office coffee machine going here.

Top, top bloke and the coffee’s good too:

https://farmboybrews.square.site/about

kynasf
    Free Member

I pretty much stick to the chocolate/caramel type of flavours from medium to dark roasts, so can recommend ‘Italian Job’ from Ravecoffee, or current favourite ‘Stronghold’ from Origin coffee. Union have some good espresso blends too.

bobbyspangles

Costco. Guatemalan, Costa Rican, Ethiopian usually 1kg bags under a tenner. I prefer the Ethiopian dark roast myself

Milkie
    Free Member

Thanks guys! Ordering Pelican Rouge 1863 and Italian Job for now.

I had a look at Pact subscription, but I have no idea how many cups of coffee we drink and I have no idea how expensive it would be. We go through 1.5Kg of beans a month for two of us.

Wow, some of those beans are pretty expensive! £30 for a kilo is a little rich for me.

Found out the burnt toast I keep smelling every week at work is a local coffee roasters, but there is no way I am paying £12-£15 for a 250g bag of beans!

I have to pop into Brizzle at the weekend, so I might detour via Clifton Coffee Roasters, they seem to have a bit more variation to the last time I went. I’ll be trying out your suggestions in the new year, I’d like to find a place that can recommend a bean for my machine or what settings I should change to make the bean taste great.

fadda

I really like the roasts from Manumit coffee in Cardiff. Just ordered some of the seasonal special, but the house coffee is great (IMHO).
    Their story is pretty compelling too…

Sandwich

Bristol based? You may need to swing by Wogan mid-week for a bag of Cafe Feminino Peruvian beans. Around £9 for 500g. The Kenya Peaberry is good as is the current monthly special, Tarrazu from Costa Rica.

If you want a bit more bite in the cup then Riposo is a good all rounder.

medlow
    Free Member

http://www.hasbean.co.uk
    ‘bean’ using them for years.. Roasted to order and will provide any grind you specify. Or whole beans like I do.
    I personally enjoy the south american. Guatemala or Niguragua (spelling?) Finca Limoncillo.
    Great stuff…

thered

HasBean

They’re great

The Barzilian Fazenda Inglaterra is lovely and the El Salvadorian Finca la Fany, a treat.

kcal

Union have been good.
    Cafe Direct do a handpicked range which we’ve found really good – and varied – over the last year. Sadly the discount code has expired and they’re now reverted to headline price.
    https://handpicked.cafedirect.co.uk/

You didn’t mention a budget. They may be fine for you.

andylc
    Free Member

I’ve been through Lavazza Crema e Aroma, Super Crema, Pienaroma, Pelican Rouge and some local roasted stuff so far in my Melitta Barista and boringly prefer the Lavazza Crema e Aroma. Currently on Pelican Rouge but it’s a bit harsh for me. Not really too keen on spending £20-30 per kilo which probably narrows it down somewhat. For an all round bean that will do a good Espresso, Ristretto, bog standard Cafe Crema and a decent Latte the Lavazza seems to be the best so far.

jjprestidge
    Free Member

Hasbean and Peter James are both good choices.

I’ve got 20KGs of various beans form Gardelli coming in this week. He was the world roasting champion last year and buys only the best green beans. I’d definitely put Gardelli at the top of the best roasters in the world, and I’ve tried coffee from hundreds of roasters over the years

Only downside is that it tends to be a bit pricey, but I can do an STW discount if you’re interested – DM me.

JP

spanishfly
    Free Member

We use the Algerian Coffee Store in Soho via their mail order service. No sure about postage/prices, Mrs Fly does that bits. I

I just get humoured by several bags of my favourite flavour “Algerian Special”

andylc
    Free Member

A bit pricey???? In the same way that Piers Morgan is a tiny bit irritating.

TiRed

I use Rave and enjoy their coffee. As regards pricey – for the cost of 3-4 ready made coffees per month, I get nice roasted beans that last errr well about half a month. Things like this aren’t really expensive when you compare them with other offerings. Even at £10 for 250g. Of course cheaper is available, but I always think that paying more for nicer is better at this end of the spending (I have a very cheap car).

MrSmith
    Free Member

I’ve got 20KGs of various beans form Gardelli coming in this week.

I have bought beans from JJprestige and they have been excellent, but you are looking at the best speciality beans available so not at the budget end.
    I’m happy to pay for quality though as I can buy a mixed lot from my favourite roasters (gardelli, Collona, roundhill)

Don’t forget to DM me when you get stock!

jjprestidge
    Free Member

I’ve got 20KGs of various beans form Gardelli coming in this week.

I have bought beans from JJprestige and they have been excellent, but you are looking at the best speciality beans available so not at the budget end.
    I’m happy to pay for quality though as I can buy a mixed lot from my favourite roasters (gardelli, Collona, roundhill)

Don’t forget to DM me when you get stock!

Cheers!

Should be in on Friday – was roasted today. I’ll drop you a line.

JP

RichPenny
    Free Member

Monsooned Malabar from Rave is my staple, tend to use that in the office machine as it’s exceptional value and pretty forgiving. Have tried plenty of others but keep coming back to this.

peteroughton169
    Free Member

try looking up the trail coffee co. #trailcoffeeco adam the owner is quite a passionate bloke where coffee is concerned

paul4stones

Unorthodox roasters in Kinross (you’ve missed the Christmas post though). They have cafes in Dundee and Stirling I think.
    Also a little place we found on holiday near Osmotherley in Ingleby Cross I think – yes, https://www.rountoncoffee.co.uk/shop-c1/our-coffee-c9

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Aldi No4 – the No5 is not so good.

onewheelgood

https://www.monsoonestatescoffee.co.uk/

Nice people, nice coffee.

neilc1881
    Free Member

http://Www.dragonroastery.co.uk
    I was on the monsoon malabar but have just got through 1kg of Huehuetenango and I’ll definitely be ordering more of those in the new year.

DM52
    Free Member

When I first got my Espresso machine I went all around the houses looking for beans including hasbean’s starter packs (I seem to remember they did and 8 variety one) ending up in an artisan coffee shop buying beans that they claim were flown back from the county of origin personally and how they needed to be ground under specific conditions as the average kitchen was too humid for an optimum grind. (what a load….)

I have somehow ended up settling on these: https://groceries.morrisons.com/webshop/product/Morrisons-Espresso-Coffee-Bean-/348160011?param=espresso&from=search

My preference is for stronger tasting coffee, never thought these own brand beans at £2:50 a go would fit the bill and it proved to me that I could not base quality and flavor on cost alone.

I am sure others may find the same beans not to their own tastes but for a regular everyday bean I am very happy with them.

Milkie
    Free Member

I’ve been through Lavazza Crema e Aroma, Super Crema, Pienaroma, Pelican Rouge and some local roasted stuff so far in my Melitta Barista and boringly prefer the Lavazza Crema e Aroma. Currently on Pelican Rouge but it’s a bit harsh for me. Not really too keen on spending £20-30 per kilo which probably narrows it down somewhat. For an all round bean that will do a good Espresso, Ristretto, bog standard Cafe Crema and a decent Latte the Lavazza seems to be the best so far.

Andy, I have the same machine! Giving Pelicon Rouge a try from today, I might grab a bag of Lavazza Cafe Crema to try for Bean 2 long drinks. How are you getting on with your machine?

Maybe I should pop round to Collona and grab a bag to see what I’m missing… Or will I not get the benefit with a bean to cup machine?

cookeaa
    redmex
    Free Member

Well I’ve just ordered 1/40th of what jj is getting from l’italia, postage just a wee bit more than what robbin mail charge for a small parcel in the Uk lets hope it good. I can never taste the logan berries, lavender, caramac, fruitellas etc you sometimes read others can taste from their beans
    I occasionally use Artisan roast steampunk but would only buy beans as you order a flat white and unless you drive an old vdub, have a hairy pus or look like a dude they think you know nothing about coffee and give you it lukewarm by the time they bring it over

andylc
    Free Member

I have to be honest some of the flavours they claim to be in there are complete fantasy!
    Love the Melitta, can’t fault it really although you do have to clean it regularly for it to work perfectly. It does great frothy lattes and the dual bean container is great as my other half has decaf a good deal of the time, so we keep full fat in one half and decaf in the other.

ChuckMorris
    Free Member

My good lady has just given me a Melitta Barista Smart TS machine for my birthday so I’m looking for a decent subscription.

I’ve been following these guys on Instagram for ages Trail Coffee Company so I’m going to give them a try.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Looking For Coffee Beans’ is closed to new replies.