• This topic has 20 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Looking for an MP3 player recommendation
  • PJay
    Free Member

I’m looking to buy an MP3 player for my partner for Christmas; she likes Creative models but I’ve found them rather ropey.

I’d be looking for something in the 8-16mb range with a reasonable screen; she’ll use it mainly for audio books. I’m not a great Apple fan but would consider one if they’re well recommended.

funkmasterp

Cowon make players with great audio quality. Not cheap for a decent one and can have issues if you’re a Mac user. Definitely worth a look though.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

why would you buy anything other than an iPod?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    funkmasterp

Not liking iTunes or wanting something with better sound reproduction would be the main reasons. Says the man who owns an iPod…. Nobody else builds them with enough space for all the music :'(

dirtyrider
    Free Member

she’s listening to audio books, so the sound point is moot

funkmasterp

I would go iPod to be honest. The classic is best for pure value to storage space.

richpips
    Free Member

I have a Fiio X3 but that’s probably overkill for listening to audiobooks.

twoniner
    Free Member

Im looking for the same for my GF. I currently use a Sony and it’s been brilliant.

nicko74

Another vote for Cowon – Advancedmp3players have most models. They’re fairly small, amazing battery life, and perhaps most importantly don’t require any software on your PC whatsoever (they’re just dragndrop). Which would remove the need for iTunes and its associated bloat.

Conqueror
    Free Member

Can recommend Sony, drag and drop in any OS and quality output..

Some might argue also no frills – but its a music player right?

I use my with Linux and windows (occasionally) and not tied to a particular music/player or organiser

prawny

iPod nano for me, as a user of various sony/creative/sandisk/iPod classic user.

Currently using the sansaclip+ but the interface is a bit of a ball ache once you’ve got a fair few tunes on there.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Used to have a Sony. was very good, as above, drag and drop simplicity and open format.

Now? My phone has a 64gb memory card. One less gadget.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Sony fan here too, drag and drop pleasure and simplicity.

However, I’ve started using my iPhone more and downloaded a decent (IMO) app called EQ10 that allows you to tweak the sound to just how you like it, coupled with some rather expensive but excellent sounding Shure 425 headphones with iPhone lead, so I can take calls without removing ear phones, I have to say, it sounds excellent.

Sacked iTunes off and use Copy Trans for drag and drop to the iPhone!

Bought a 64gb 4s iPhone and sold my 16gb 4s for about £40 less! Bargaintastic memory upgrade.

Not used the Sony since. As above, one less gadget.

PJay
    Free Member

Cheers. I have to say that Sony seemed to come up trumps for all the players I’ve looked at online, so they’re certainly worth a look.

CountZero

Not liking iTunes or wanting something with better sound reproduction would be the main reasons. Says the man who owns an iPod…. Nobody else builds them with enough space for all the music :'(

I’ve yet to find a sound quality issue with iPods that a decent pair of phones won’t cure, without the need for EQ, too.
    And I’ve tried quite a few ‘phones, too, so I know just how much sound quality can vary.
    The Cowon players are bloody expensive for just listening to audiobooks, which might as well be in mono, for all the quality that’s needed.
    A 16Gb Nano would be perfect, and it doesn’t need iTunes for audiobooks, as others have pointed out, although I don’t have any real issues with it.
    If it’s on a PC, I understand that version can be a bit flaky, however. The Sony’s look pretty tasty, too.
    When can we have music players with 128 or 256Gb of solid state storage? Preferably 256.

jekkyl

I bought an ipod nano in 2006 and it still works perfectly and I use it every single day. Failing that, just put her audio files on her phone?! and spend the money on something else.

funkmasterp

When can we have music players with 128 or 256Gb of solid state storage? Preferably 256.

I can’t wait for the day this happens. Good point regarding the Cowon players, I didn’t read the audio book bit. I take your point regarding sound quality, but it’s such an individual thing. I just find the iPod lacking compared to other players I’ve owned.

DezB
    Free Member

128 or 256Gb

Why not a couple of GB – that would suit me!

iPod – Nano (I’ve got 2 older gen ones, they’re perfect. Also got iPhone, iPod Classic, iPod Mini. Only one I don’t use for music is the phone.
    Had a Sony – it died.

Saccades
    Free Member

sony e585.

proper tactile buttons with hold function and quality noise cancelling headphones. nice little screen with drag and drop on pc.

and a massive battery life, plus setip for podcasts and take virtually every file format.

funkmasterp

128 or 256Gb

Why not a couple of GB – that would suit me!

Like to record at a higher bit rate and can never be bothered swapping and changing music around. More of an album as opposed to individual tracks kinda listener and always seem to run out of capacity 🙁

DezB
    Free Member

Duh, I meant TB!!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Looking for an MP3 player recommendation’ is closed to new replies.