Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Looking for a Rear Mech Hanger
  • bolt7
    Free Member

A guy in our local village dropped off a bike to me the other day looking for me to fix it, it is nothing high end and as he has a couple of medical conditions, all he really wants to do is cycle around the town during the better weather.

When I inspected it, I found the rear mech hanger is pretty bent and would be best to replace. Problem is the bike is a “Reebok Optimum” which I think were once sold by JJB back in the day and I cannot find a mech hanger anywhere! I was thinking of going with a clarks universal derailleur? Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

simondbarnes

The bikes didn’t work from new so I’d just bend it back as best as you can to be be honest.

JackHammer

A good place to start would be GearMechHanger they have a good selection of hangers, although they aren’t cheap. In the past when I have struggled to match my hangers I’ve sent them photos of my mangled hanger and they’ve been able to help identify the replacement. Once you have a code you can then look for it on ebay/amazon if you’re trying to save a few pounds.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Agreed, a new mech hanger probably puts the bike beyond economical repair. Bend it back as best you can. Trying for perfection on bikes like this, especially out of kindness, is not a rabbit hole you want to go down.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yes, identical response to your last identical thread.

simondbarnes
    136stu
    Free Member

Take it to your local garage or tyre bay and ask them to give it a squeeze in the vice.

JoeG
    Free Member

That costs more than the bike sold for new

Take the bike to your LBS. They will almost certainly have the Park tool and be able to straighten the hanger at a small cost.

mav12
    Free Member

if you have a q/r rear wheel screw the axle into the mech hanger hole and use the wheel as a gsuge to straiten the hanger works a treat

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Looking for a Rear Mech Hanger’ is closed to new replies.