Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Looking for a new job
  • MSP

Has anything changed in recent years? or is it still just a case of settling on a search criteria on the main jobsites?

Does linkedin premium offer anything worth while?

I am still employed currently, though I am considering putting in my notice after the new year to kick myself in action.

z1ppy

shirely is depends partly on your industry?
    I’ve always shoved my CV onto job search websites and the majority of work (IT bod) I’ve gotten was from agencies contacting me through the those same websites.

footflaps

I wouldn’t resign until you have a job to go to, it always looks better of you’re employed when job hunting.

Can’t you network to find a new job?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jambalaya
    Free Member

I am still employed currently, though I am considering putting in my notice after the new year to kick myself in action.

This is NOT a good plan. You shouod ask yourself why you need a kock into action then you should get on with the job search. AFAIK LinkedIn Premium is most useful for browsing contact details of people you are not connected to.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Get youself out there and talk to a few recruiters, look and contact people through Linkedin. Don’t make it too obvious to your employer though. My boss told me last week that he’s in contact with recruiters on a regular basis. If he is, why shouldn’t I be?

bikebouy
    Free Member

This needs to be a sticky.

Plenty of people will be looking for jobs in the next few years, unless they are into theme parks,

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Don’t quit until you have a job, it will depend 100% on your field, some stuff is all word of mouth other stuff is via corporate HR etc. The Application to starting process can also be incredibly drawn out so unless you want 2 months waiting keep your current job.

oldnpastit

Update your CV. The rest is easy(*).

(*) In comparison.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

The more senior you are in your career the more picky you get about where you work, what you do, and who you want to work with.

With this in mind do some research on the companies you think you want to work at. There are tons of resources out there now. Once you’ve identified a few choices take some time to see what vacancies they have. If they’ve not got anything suitable, then take a look at their competitors. Then apply, see if what they’re offering is something you’re interested in and go from there.

When I switched jobs recently I used this approach and it worked quite well. I also had contact with recruiters through LinkedIn. Most of these people are using a scattergun keyword search and it’s pretty simple to weed them out.

Good luck.

jonny-m
    Free Member

It’s just taken me best part of 4 months from application to offer.
    And I still don’t start till early next year!
    Some company’s don’t rush
    If you can afford it, do it, but be prepared to wait

MSP

I have to give 3 months notice in my current position, and the politics in my current position are killing me. The trouble is that I am putting so much effort into just holding everything together currently that I have nothing left to give in searching for a new role. So that is my thinking in handing in my notice, I have known I need to move on for over 12 months.

djglover
    Free Member

I used CV library, reed and indeed. Never bothered much with LinkedIn. Got loads of calls from agencies and a couple of interviews. You seem to need to upload a new cv to kickstart the activity.

Ultimately what worked though was a direct application to the company I wanted to work for.

dogthomson

Controversial I know, but I’d recommend using a recruitment agency. The key thing is picking a good one, with a strong reputation in your industry and then being crystal clear with them about what you’re looking for.

That way at least you aren’t having to go through the faff of online application forms and testing etc.

Most will want to run the rule over you once in person before putting you in front of their clients, but I found this a good opportunity to help them understand what you’re after and what you will and won’t move for.

Best of luck!

gonefishin
    Free Member

Notice periods are for all practical intents and purposes unenforceable. I’d not worry too much about a three month period.

DezB
    Free Member

Linkedin has some industry specific and local groups that you can sign up to – a lot of agencies use it, as do internal recruitment bods. Not sure if you’d need premium.

I honestly found the government website ‘Universal Jobmatch’, that they use for the great unwashed to do their job hunting, pretty good. It searches more agencies than most other sites and you can save multiple covering letters/CVs etc to the site.
    You have to sign up to it, but the good thing is, unlike signing up to an agency website, you won’t get bombarded with emails/phone calls. It’s also good for looking at jobs available in different market places, like cleaning, farming, postal etc! Here’s the sign up link https://myaccount.gateway.gov.uk/Pages/Registration/RegisterWithUserId.aspx?role=i&cks=1
    I’ve got an account that I don’t use, so if you’re weary about signing up, email me and I’ll give you my login so you can have a look.

MSP

Notice periods are for all practical intents and purposes unenforceable.

They are enforceable if a company can show loss due to the breaking of the contract, in my case they probably could if they decided to take that path.

yamyamblade
    Free Member

I’m currently working my notice period of 3 months so leave Mid Feb, I could of pushed to leave earlier but seeing as my new employer also wants me to be on 3 months notice I didn’t see the need.
    I got my job through an agency who found my CV on monster and asked me if I could submit it, I never actually met the consultant but glad she got in touch !!

Mackem

The change I’ve seen is not really how you search but once at niterview it all seems to be competency based interviews, which I find a bit odd.

footflaps

They are enforceable if a company can show loss due to the breaking of the contract, in my case they probably could if they decided to take that path.

Extremely rare that a company ever tries to enforce it in the courts (a few cases a year at C level for multi-nationals). And even in those cases they can only stop the person joining the new company, they can’t make them work their notice period.

chakaping
    Free Member

it all seems to be competency based interviews, which I find a bit odd.

First one of these I had really caught me on the hop. Got better at them but they can still be a bit stressful.

I’ve had quite a few interviews over the last couple of years. None of the jobs have been quite right, but I’ve learned how to be relaxed and natural so when the right one pops up I should be in good stead.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Does linkedin premium offer anything worth while?

Depends how buoyant your job market is, O&G is still rock bottom so it’s just giving you more details of places to look for jobs that aren’t there. In an average to good market it would probably offer more.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Controversial I know, but I’d recommend using a recruitment agency. The key thing is picking a good one, with a strong reputation in your industry and then being crystal clear with them about what you’re looking for.

This.

Takes a lot of faff out of the process; also they help polish your CV. The last time I did a CV it was on a typewriter, so mine needed a polish.

So far, my experience has been very good, but the guy I picked is a good egg.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Looking for a new job’ is closed to new replies.