Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Looking for a heating solution for your man cave?
  • mcmoonter

This could be it 😀

http://naturalhomes.org/timeline/juured-rocket-stove.htm

Premier Icon althepal
    Subscriber

An oil barrel surround by clay /plasticine??
    I have a gas BBQ I use sometimes..

TooTall

Have you just found the non-cast-iron corner of the wood-burning internet?

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

mcmoonter for pope.

chewkw

hhhhmmm … I bet the Health & Safety people might want to question you … LOL!

I like it but surely someone can make it for proper home use rather than for mud house no?

TooTall

I like it but surely someone can make it for proper home use rather than for mud house no?

Some technologies work well together, and a rocket stove works well with earth. Given that most of these are self-made using self-sourced material for non-UK-vernacular houses (think 3rd world), I doubt anyone in their right mind is going to start spending the money to put them legally into UK housing…

Here’s a few basics – why not design your own?

globalti

Looks interesting but you’d need to do a bit of work on construction and materials to build one that lasted a few years without burning through or crumbling, I reckon.

Might try building a small version in the garden this summer.

Bear

Where is the flue?

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

low level, pokes out of the external wall, although there’s some sites that condone it flueing even into the room.

One reason why they wouldnt be “legal” in the UK, The presumption of full combustion wouldnt be permitted 🙂

Premier Icon Greybeard
    Subscriber

most of these are self-made using self-sourced material for non-UK-vernacular houses (think 3rd world)

But the example is in Estonia, of which Wikipedia says

As of 2012, Estonia remains the only euro member with a budget surplus, and with a national debt of only 6%, it is one of the least indebted countries in Europe

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

gti:

http://wildstoves.co.uk/diy-rocket-elbow-kits/diy-rocket-elbow/

I was thinking of making a little one out of welded mild steel box section with some little legs and pan support.

TooTall

But the example is in Estonia, of which Wikipedia says

most of these are self-made using self-sourced material for non-UK-vernacular houses

Is that a better selective quote from my post, or do you want to start a pointless discussion over the fiscal details of Estonia? 🙄

I have a gas BBQ I use sometimes..

😯

Got a Carbon Monoxide detector in your mancave?

Turbo trainer.

LoCo

I’m wondering how much smoke gets into the building while your starting it, as presumably they work on being up to temp. to ‘draw’ efficiently 😕

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

Was thinking the same loco.

Maybe starting with a ball of paper first to initiate a draw will do so quickly enough to prevent much smoke coming out of the firebox.

What if there was a hatch in the top of the oil barrel to drop the ball of paper directly below the inner chimney?

Bear

Well I suppose they look nice, but feel free to kill yourself with one…..

Think they must be a CO bomb waiting to happen.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Milkie

What about this, might try it at the weekend.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bus9EUMUmJM[/video]

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

See, I have been pondering this one. I love the whole rocket stove & kakkelovn thing.
    As with so many green/eco things, the dreadlock’d crowd get in there first and create a crusty image about them.
    I would really like to build a house with a kakkeloven/rocket stove thing in the middle of it.
    But I want it to look good as well as perform – not some pile of clay and crap.
    Why cannot somebody design something that looks as good as these, yet with the flues and mass either hidden in a wall or chimney breast, or ceiling?

righog

I am basing my next man cave around the first picture.

Premier Icon footflaps
    Subscriber

They seem to take up a lot of space, wonder if you could do a low profile one with just a metal conduit running along the floor rather than a huge clay box seat thing…..

of course you can

2 issues I can see are ash removal and lots of exposed hot surfaces, does look like a nice wee workshop heater though

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Looking for a heating solution for your man cave?’ is closed to new replies.