Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Looking for a decent bluetooth speaker for my office
  • ericemel
    Free Member

So I am looking for a reasonable sounding speaker for my office, to stream music from my iPhone and conference calls from my PC (usb or Bluetooth). Ideally stereo, portability not necessarily needed.

Current top pick is Cambridge Audio Yoyo (M) at 250

Any other suggestions I should look at?

Drac

Amazing little speaker.

Anker [Upgraded] SoundCore 2 Portable Bluetooth Speaker with 12W Stereo Sound, Bluetooth 5, BassUp, IPX7 Waterproof, 24-Hour Playtime, Wireless Stereo Pairing, Speaker for Home, Outdoors, Travel https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MTB55WH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_b1CFDbD6T1EVY

ericemel
    Free Member

I know these speakers, they are good. But def looking for something a little more upscale.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    FunkyDunc
    Free Member

But def looking for something a little more upscale.

Naim Muso then.

I’ve got an Anker Soundcore Boost (which sounds way better, and looks better than the soundcore) and it’s brilliant

The Naim is just another level, although at £40 v £900 it should sound better. To be fair though some people can’t tell which is which and prefer the more engineered sound of the Anker

sadexpunk

also have one of the anker jobbies which has always served us well.

two questions. one thing thats always puzzled me is im sure the bumph said not to keep it plugged in (charging) whilst using it. unplug when charged, use until dead then re-charge. why?

secondly, just googled that boost and it mentions that theres a usb port so it can be used as one of those portable chargers for phone etc. will it be as powerful as a dedicated portable battery, so a good all-in-one jobbie, or will it just be pared down for charging, not as good as the proper item?

cheers

timmys

Maybe the new Sonos Move?

DrP

I’m massively impressed with my UE boom 3…

360degree room filling sound, plus fits a bottle cage perfectly for banging choonz out on the bike!

DrP

kimbers

Was.in ikea yesterday the demo of their one was very impressive, I believe they are made by sonos

Cougar

one thing thats always puzzled me is im sure the bumph said not to keep it plugged in (charging) whilst using it. unplug when charged, use until dead then re-charge. why?

Depends on the battery technology, but often keeping them on perpetual charge is a great way of sodding it. The battery in my cordless phone has a life of about two minutes (not that I care because the land line hasn’t worked in about three years).

squirrelking
    Free Member

I was going to x2 Drac but if that’s not what you’re after then I’m not sure. The Soundcore Motion B I have can be run in stereo mode when paired to a second speaker IIRC so I’m sure the Boost would too.

stumpy01

The problem with a lot of Bluetooth speakers as alluded to above, is that they have batteries and shouldn’t be plugged in all the time.
    I had this dilemma about 6 months ago while looking for a speaker for our bedroom.

I emailed several companies about their batteries and whether it was ok to leave them plugged in and they all said that it wasn’t OK for the battery life.

I eventually ended up with a Pro Audio T5. It has no battery.

Addon T5

They do a smaller one (T3) which does have a battery, but it can be removed. Audio Pro recommended to use it with the battery removed if it was gonna be plugged in for extended periods.

It’s a really good speaker with decent sound quality and finish.
    Just be aware that I don’t think it can be used to divert calls through it via a mobile – it doesn’t have a built in microphone.

You can currently get the T5for around £100 if you don’t mind limited colour options. That was the site I got mine from…..

https://www.coolshop.co.uk/product/audio-pro-addon-t5-bluetooth-speaker-grey/AJ6R84/?gclid=CjwKCAjwwvfrBRBIEiwA2nFiPdh0FcUcqz3_toMQVvBo0DBlVbl6Qzip7MNuSKLHqHkX6WI2NRwanxoCQ50QAvD_BwE

squirrelking
    Free Member

Charging is hardly an issue given the long battery life.

Cougar

I had this dilemma about 6 months ago while looking for a speaker for our bedroom.

I emailed several companies about their batteries and whether it was ok to leave them plugged in and they all said that it wasn’t OK for the battery life.

If it’s always going to be plugged in, why would you care if the battery gets screwed? There’s little practical difference between a duff battery and no battery, no?

stumpy01

If it’s always going to be plugged in, why would you care if the battery gets screwed? There’s little practical difference between a duff battery and no battery, no?

True, but I’d rather not buy something with a battery in it, if it doesn’t need it – seems pointless and wasteful.

Bit like buying a laptop and then leaving it permanently plugged in upstairs in the study…

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Audio Pro T3 is what I’ve got. It’s really good.

tdog
    Free Member

£79.99 for my Fresh ‘ n ‘ Rebel RockBox Bold L

15hrs playback and can charge mobiles on the go.

Is incredibly defined audio with no distortion at max volume.

Up to half way on it is max volume for most bluetooth speakers.

It’s waterproof snowproof and is superior in every way to my previous Bose speakerS.

They also do a cube mini version for £15 which really impressive for the money.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

If portability not an issue then what about a mini amp and speakers? Or active speakers?

Drac

I got around the problem with the batteries by simply unplugging it once charged, quite a radical idea. It means it can also be used as a portable speaker.

onewheelgood
    bikebouy
    Free Member

JBL Xtreme 2, between £165-£199 depends where you buy from..

deepreddave
    Free Member

Ultimate Ears Boom. As recommended by my teenagers and they were right (for once).

CountZero

Was.in ikea yesterday the demo of their one was very impressive, I believe they are made by sonos

They are, and they work with Sonos apps as well as other Sonos kit.
    They’re apparently very good, as well as significantly cheaper.

granny_ring

I got around the problem with the batteries by simply unplugging it once charged, quite a radical idea. It means it can also be used as a portable speaker.

😂

ericemel
    Free Member

Some good options thank you! TBH I’d but the Naim Muso tomorrow if it had a mic for calls!

But seems I have done my research well – the Cambridge Audio Yo-yo is probably the best option for my requirements!

ericemel
    Free Member

I use a Ruark R1 in my office. https://www.ruarkaudio.com/products/r1-deluxe-bluetooth-radio

Like this but no mic?

petec
    Free Member

@ericemel

I had (note past tense….) the Yoyo (M) at home. Absolutely superb speakers; odd blip here and there with the sync between the two, but 99.5% of the time very good. At the time there was no other bluetooth proper stereo speakers (there may be now)

then the Bluetooth died on the master speaker. Meant the other one couldn’t be used either.

It was 18 months into a 2 year John Lewis warranty. Took them back, and got the Google Home max (which was reduced at the time). Now that is lovely – superb sound again, but so much easier to manage over the wifi. And, it’s also bluetooth should the wifi be no good.

I’m tempted to get another for the lounge.

wwaswas

2nd the Ruarks – proper stereo, battery powered if you want to be, sound is fantastic.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I love my Bose Soundlink and Soundlink Mini. Both have batteries but also have intelligent charging systems.
    Soundlink Mini was office and on the go speaker and after 4 years of very heavy use battery life seems as good as ever.

sharkbait
    Free Member

New Sonos Move.

Battery/wireless charging.
    WiFi or BT
    Waterproof

Sounds perfect for you.

Maybe the new Sonos Move?

Doh!

retro83
    Free Member

Cougar

If it’s always going to be plugged in, why would you care if the battery gets screwed?

Well just keep an eye on it if you do that…I’ve had lithium batteries swell a few times from leaving them on charge all the time (on a laptop, tablet & cordless phone). I’m not sure how dangerous it is but it certainly **** up the case of the device 🙄

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Looking for a decent bluetooth speaker for my office’ is closed to new replies.