Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Look at the nights sky shooting star content
  • waller
    Free Member

Apologies if its already been posted but there is a bit of shooting star action going on tonight 🙂 thought some of you might be interested in making a wish or two 🙂

scotroutes

I’m waiting for updates from Houns. It’s a bit overcast hereabouts.

yunki
    Free Member

I wish it wasn’t so cloudy 🙁

Houns

That was last night and it rained 😡

waller
    Free Member

Nice and clear down south 🙂 apparently 12th and 13th will be the best nights to watch it.

Northwind

Last time we’d just arrived in the alps, sat in the chalet, power goes out… Cue most ridiculously perfect, light-pollution free, mountain starscape, with added perseids. Stunning. (we spent about an hour goggling from the chalet balcony, then just out of curiosity I went out into the street on the other side of the chalet and it turned out to be even better). Unforgettable stuff.

(the year before, I rode into the pentlands and found a nice quiet corner to watch from. After about 20 minutes 2 runners came up and, without seeing me, stopped about 2 feet from my head. It was a wee bit awkward so I decided to break the silence by saying “DARK, ISN’T IT”. They ran pretty fast :mrgreen: )

takisawa2

Stayed at Uluru (Ayers Rock), some years ago.
    I didn’t know there were so many stars.
    From any one spot on earth there’s supposed to be something like 3000 visible…

TuckerUK
    Free Member

When night fishing or camping somewhere with very low light pollution, I love star gazing. Amazing how many shooting stars and satellites you get to see.

Kevevs
    Free Member

went out in the backyard and got tangled up in my neighbours wet washing and tripped over the landlords ladders. Probably stood in a catshit. Bit bloody dangerous this lark.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Just woke up. Should I bother?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

If I can’t sleep again tonight, I’ll head out to the levels and take a look.

zokes
    Free Member

Bush camping in Oz reveals lots of stars!

That said, I’ve been even more amazed on a moonless night flight back from Singapore to Adelaide – 30,000 ft closer to the stars!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member
    MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

I had the same thoughts staying out in the sticks somewhere in Morocco some years ago. I could see huge numbers of stars but I couldn’t see my feet.

richmtb

Light pollutin map – zoomable

That’s a cool map.

Not sure its 100% accurate – everyone in Islay must switch there lights off! but very cool nonetheless

maxtorque

richmtb

Not sure its 100% accurate – everyone in Islay must switch there lights off! but very cool nonetheless

I assume it’s showing relative intensity compared to background light levels. So somewhere like Islay, with few street lamps, and peoples houses that have small, horizontal facing windows, will have a very low signature. I guess it must also be built up from a number of satellite images, as cloud and weather will affect the data.

teethgrinder

Triffids. That is all.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member
    Rich
    Free Member

Just saw 13 meteors in 20 minutes. Worth a look if you don’t have cloud.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Can you all see this morning? Are the stinging nettles on the move?

CountZero

Sat out the back last night, for about thirty minutes from 1am, but only saw five. Three were fairly bright, but it wasn’t what you could call exhilarating. 😐
    You could call it a bit brisk, though my winter weight flying jacket, beanie and a mug of hot Horlicks helped ease the chill.

freddyg
    Free Member

Stood outside in my back yard for a couple of hours between 11pm and 1am (on and off) in Ulverston, Cumbria and saw 1. I have a stiff neck today. 😐

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Saw about 30 last night. Not much light pollution in Andalucia.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Look at the nights sky shooting star content’ is closed to new replies.