Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Look at me. I’m happy!
  • Premier Icon Mark

How accurate is it? You can try for yourself on that link up there. On an individual post level it can give some wonky results, but it works best on longer sections of text. Shorter the post the less accurate it is.

For example..

Mogrim’s post above scored -2 which is clearly wrong as it was quite funny. My last post scored 0 ie neutral.

Scotroutes opening post scored +9

Premier Icon TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

This level of misery makes me happy enough to start posting again.

Keep up the good work.

Premier Icon HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I don’t like positivity, so the negativity cheered me up, but that in itself made me sad again

Premier Icon Mark

That post just scored you -9 so that’s good then. Right?

Premier Icon donald
    Free Member

Happy Würst eaters

Premier Icon HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I’m too confused to know anymore

Premier Icon matt_outandabout

Does it measure pictures?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jux242]DSC_3095[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

Premier Icon dougiedogg
    Free Member

I’ve definitely learned a lot from this place, there have been negative points, mostly caused by my ignorance but they are far outweighed by what I’ve learned.

I use this place to get my news, I start here then read up on what I learn. If only I’d known to do that sooner. Haha.

Premier Icon tjagain

What about if being grumpy makes you happy?

for what its worth I have found this place to be a boon over lockdown and I do try to walk away from threads that irritate me – with varied amounts of success.

the thread i started at the beginning of lockdown would probably come out negative by the algorithm as it was full of doom and gloom being discussed but its effect was very positive to me

Premier Icon perchypanther
    Free Member

Would you be interested in knowing how generally positive or negative you are?

Id definitely be interested to see how I scored on that scale as I try my best to be relentlessly positive but express it in an unrelentingly snarky manner.

Premier Icon Rubber_Buccaneer

It would be a personal score so it’s not something we’d ever make public

Really?  I’d love to see it alongside the username in posts

Premier Icon Mark

I imagine many would but I think that may be over stepping the privacy boundary. Maybe we could let you decide if you want it to be public? Maybe an option in your profile?

Premier Icon dougiedogg
    Free Member

don’t put numbers beside people, it makes them behave strangely, it will skew conversation. Think XP scores in games.

Premier Icon martinhutch

Just stuck a tract about the Holocaust into the API demo and got a positive score, so from now on I’ll be boosting my numbers by writing exclusively about genocide.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash

Maybe we could let you decide if you want it to be public? Maybe an option in your profile?

That sounds a great idea

Premier Icon scotroutes

We don’t need a score, just turn it into an emoji.

😂😁😊😐😩

don’t put numbers beside people, it makes them behave strangely, it will skew conversation

Much as it would entertain and interest me to see the scores I think dougiedogg is right on this one.  In the past I’ve used forums that displayed post counts and others that allowed members to up/down kudos one another and it rarely added in a good way

Premier Icon chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Right then let’s get to the bottom of this Brexit malarkey.

Premier Icon TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

In the past I’ve used forums that displayed post counts and others that allowed members to up/down kudos one another and it rarely added in a good way

VOLVO FOR SALE

VOLVO FOR SALE

Ah yes, the good old tagging 😀. I forgot we’d already had a great example.

BTW I’d be super happy to advise you on use of the quote function.

Edit: Ah, I see you sorted your quotes.  That’s made me even happier

Premier Icon fasthaggis

Would you be interested in knowing how generally positive or negative you are?

Most of my life I have been an annoyingly optimistic person, very glass half full.
    Last year my glass was slowly drained, blowtorched and booted down the road, where it managed to miss the recycling bin and smash to pieces.

STW is one of the better places to hang out so maybe I should have a points system while I look for a new glass.

Premier Icon johnx2
    Free Member

…self-congratulation for posting on here aside, what is zero on the Y axis of that graph? What’s the baseline for ‘average happiness’? I ask because it looks like everyone’s happy through a major Tory election victory and significant Brexit events. Are we sure it’s not all just a wiggling line of depression?

I ask very much as an outsider to all this happiness nonsense. I’m from Yorkshire and very much prefer to be miserable.

😉

Premier Icon scotroutes

OK, how about an emoji for each thread? Dynamically generated. That way you’d know before opening it whether it was happy or sad.

@mark – is it possible to generate that graph for each of the sub-forums? I wonder if we’d see any trend in the Bike section that varied from the Chat. Maybe a wee happy spike when @munrobiker posts his annual Mountains thread.

Premier Icon donald
    Free Member

I miss Cressers

Premier Icon Mark

The 0 in the Y axis is in the middle. Where I’ve labelled ‘Positive average sentiment’ that represents + scores ie above 0. Below that are negative scores. Christmas 2019 was a positive number. Christmas 2020 was negative.

Premier Icon IdleJon

Last year my glass was slowly drained, blowtorched and booted down the road, where it managed to miss the recycling bin and smash to pieces……….while I look for a new glass.

You don’t need a glass – just drink your wine out of the bottle. Nobody can see you slobbing there in your underpants anyway!

Premier Icon brakestoomuch

The thing that worries me about scores like this is what if the AI was written by grumpy people? Would it be biased towards giving everything a grumpy slant, much like the reported AI inaccuracies when trying to recognise black faces because it was written by a bunch of white blokes?

I’m sure if I wrote machine learning software, it would absorb a lot of information and forget it about 15 minutes later.

As a general point, what if AI is being written by stupid people? Are they making stupid AI? If the creation eventually exceeds the limitations of its creators, will it be the most stupid thing in existence?

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.