Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 440 total)
  • Longshot SolarisMAX – when?
  • brassneck

Do I need a BOOST chainset? Reading conflicting opinions, and they seem harder to come by as groups of much cheapness. Still can’t decide GX Eagle or XT either.

metalheart
    Free Member

in my discussions with Cy he told me to convert my non-boost slx double to a single as ‘it would be in the right line anyway’. Now, as previously admitted, I didn’t exactly radge it up on Sunday but I didn’t drop the chain (and the clutch was off 😞).

but I think you probably would, why not drop Cotic an email, I’m sure they’ll be happy to advise. Or even give them a call, I’ve always found them helpful.

cokie

Website says none boost for clearance up to 32t, but any bigger needs to be boost to clear.

‘ Chainline: 50mm (regular cranks) for up to 32t chainring, 53mm Boost chainline for up to 36t chainring’

On another note, ‘mid-June delivery’. Is that to get to customers doors by mid-June or is that the containing arriving at Cotic?

metalheart
    Free Member

Im not 100% but I think ocean freight is 4 weeks behind air.

i guess clearing customs adds a certain unknown…

fudge9202
    Free Member

Re cranks here’s the answer I got from cotic

“Thanks for your interest in the SolarisMAX. You can fit a 30t non boost chainring and 32t might fit due to small variations in the chainstay bend but all other sizes need to be boost.”

brassneck

Ta, shall look for boost then to be safe.

kelvin

Do you get to have one of each bike, kelvin? For “research”?

Far from it! How many bikes can you ride at once? Anyway, the demo fleet means I can have a good ride on any size of any current/new model… and so can you! As it happens, I’m replacing an old old 26″ Soul prototype with one of these new Solari(s). Only need one hardtail, and I’ve been waiting for this updated big wheeler for aaaaages… just like lots of other people. It has everything I want in a modern steel hardtail. Everything.

metalheart
    Free Member

Aye kelvin, but what colour, eh?

🤪

StuF

Going to test ride the Soul vs SolarisMAX next week – can’t wait

retrobri
    Free Member

two excellent bikes StuF, I started on a Soul and currently ride a mk1 Solaris….both brilliant.  I’m sure modern versions will be superb…..  I might even test ride the new Solaris when time allows to see if worth the change

kelvin

@metalheart, I still haven’t picked which colour to go for, all three options have come out so well… I’ll probably end up going Cosmic Black, because it’s two looks in one… super subtle in most light, and then “bang” when the sun comes out.

StuF

I’ve previously tried the new Soul at Easter – I went there with the idea to prove that it wasn’t that much better than my Cove HandJ from 10 years ago and I didn’t need a new bike.

Oops, it was loads better, rolled over stuff and held a line better – then the new SolarisMAX was released which got me thinking that it might do those even better than the Soul.

So we’ll see next week. 🙂

cokie

@Kelvin any idea when the frames will be posted out?

Also, good choice. I was pulling my hair out deciding on what colour to pick!

kelvin

There are 2 small and 1 XL in stock… the main delivery is “soon” … (no, I don’t know when the boat lands beyond the fact it is due this month… I’ll ask Paul and Cy on Monday if they know).

nearabighill

The Green one blends in nicely…

IMG_20180602_154242358_HDR

cokie

@nearabighill looks nice! Love the orange bits.

What’s the frame size and how does it ride?

fathomer

@kelvin whilst you’re asking Cy & Paul about new bikes, can you ask them when the LS Flare might be announced. I’m sure I know the answer but I’m really, really impatient 😁

metalheart
    Free Member

Another one breaks cover… nice 😁

I had a quandary over colour, having one green one already though….

andykirk
    Free Member

Metalheart – any chance of some more photos old chap?

Of the bike not you 🙂

kelvin

Yeah, mo’ photos please! I haven’t totally made my mind up yet about which colour to punt for.

metalheart
    Free Member

I should be out tomorrow. Assuming I’m not swept away in the thunderstorms I’ll see what I can do.

light in the evenings hasn’t been great (and I’ve other stuff that needs doing…)

ill try get some up Sunday…

andykirk
    Free Member

Thanks Metalheart.

You might be able to sell the negatives to Cotic for them to use…

metalheart
    Free Member

On the Goat Track to Carrbridge…

WildHunter2009

I have a brand new BFe almost built up in the shed  (pesky reverb needs a bleed as I screwed up shortening the hose) but these do look lovely. Dammit

J273
    Free Member

I like that @nearabighill. Green looks spot on. That on 29er hoops and what size frame?

nearabighill

The wheels are 650b DT Swiss XM551 (40mm inner); 3″ Purgatory on front and 3″ WTB Ranger on back. Just moved dropper post across this week – the frame is a Medium.

Mostly Bridleway bimbling and general XC stuff for now. Still getting it set up…. Really liking the ride

fudge9202
    Free Member

@metalheart

Pics look great metalheart but more importantly how does it ride?  Predominantly from a comfortable standpoint, I’ve bad knees and my last hardtail was a Sherpa a few years back and then went to a Salsa Horsthief but that SolarisMax is absolutely lovely and rekindling my desire for a hardtail.

NormalMan

Looking great in the green 😎

cokie

Lovely photos guys. Those thin CS and SS look nice!

@kelvin
    any updates on that arrival and dispatch time please 😀 ?

kelvin

I don’t have a more detailed answer yet I’m afraid.

In less important news, I’m going to initially build mine up 29×2.5 front, 27.5×2.8 rear.

cokie

I see the frames have arrived 😀 !
    Hoping for a Friday delivery then..

Kelvin, I like the idea of that. 29er front with sus forks and then a + tyre rear to add a bit of give. Will be interested to hear how you get on with that setup.

kelvin

Frames will be going out this week… I imagine bikes will be next week, given how many need building.

I’m adding the stock to the website now…

Hold on… some options nearly sold through already! If you need a Large… get your order in now.

kelvin

Kelvin, I like the idea of that. 29er front with sus forks and then a + tyre rear to add a bit of give. Will be interested to hear how you get on with that setup.

The tyre going on the front is huge! It’ll have plenty of give as well. And the rim is an i29. It’s more about the different grip you get from these two options. A suspect it’ll be an ideal all year combo. If I’m wrong, the rear wheel can go on my Rocket anyway (I still have an old 26″ rear on that) and I’ll sort a 29er rear, so it’s a risk free experiment.

nearabighill

@fudge9202

Pics look great metalheart but more importantly how does it ride? Predominantly from a comfortable standpoint, I’ve bad knees and my last hardtail was a Sherpa a few years back and then went to a Salsa Horsthief but that SolarisMax is absolutely lovely and rekindling my desire for a hardtail.

The parts on my Solaris frame I transferred across from a Salsa Pony Rustler, prior to that I was riding a Mondraker Foxy (built up from a frame). The long front end on the Foxy felt very comfortable and confident going downhill, but the long travel (150-140) was a bit trail deadening for my majority of riding. Also want to have a go at backpacking – hence the PR. But the PR did not do it for me – felt a bit cramped and sluggish. A while back I had a Blue Pig and the frame characterstics were great. So I figured the Solaris Max would kind of combine all the benefits of my previous rides. Early days – but I would say spot on! One interesting aspect is the ST angle – I think Cy has pretty much got it spot-on. It positions you nicely over the BB and is very comfortable – I would think this should be a good angle to avoid knee issues @fudge.

Have got some 29er Hunt wheels on order – looking forward to experimenting; 29 front 27+ at the back was something I was also looking to try.

TheGhost
    Free Member

Whats the thinking with 27.5+ at the back and 29 up front? It sounds like less grip and harder to turn?

PolisherMan

Can I just check weight again? 4.9lbs? Ok, I know I’m splitting hairs, just humour me!

Is that 4lbs 9oz  or 4.9lbs (some sort of decimalization of an imperial weight? 😉

The only reason I’m asking is that I’m thinking of changing frames, I have a Genesis Tarn which weighs and absolute tonne, well 2.8 (and a bit) kgs.

kelvin

30 or 35mm stem… forget all about harder to turn… = ;87)

Just under 5lbs @polisherman

Just about mid way between Soul & BFe weight.

fudge9202
    Free Member

@nearabighill cheers for the info , funny I’m torn between the new Salsa Horsethief ( for my knees) , I had one a while back bought from clink and I loved it   But leaning towards the SolarisMax , I’ve a boost crankset and a 29” wheelset ( hope orange pro 4 hubs on wtb st i25 rims) just sitting waiting on a frame just need to make my mind up

boxelder

“It sounds like less grip and harder to turn?”

I used to run my Solaris mk1 with 29×2.4 front and 27.5×2.8 rear (as clearance on the forks was tight). Why would it be harder to turn out of interest? Grip on front aided by lower tyre pressure and suspension, grip on rear aided by wider tyre and lower pressure. No?

brassneck

Have just received shipping notification.

<am very excited :-D>

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 440 total)

The topic ‘Longshot SolarisMAX – when?’ is closed to new replies.