Longshot Rocket or Aeris 145LT?

Home Forum Bike Forum Longshot Rocket or Aeris 145LT?

• This topic has 22 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 3 days ago by  Neb.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Longshot Rocket or Aeris 145LT?
  • skybluestu

I think I’ve narrowed down my choices to one of these 2 bikes however not ridden either yet.

Anyone ridden both and can offer any opinions on plusses/negatives of both/either?

1timmy1

Not ridden either but you can’t go wrong with either Cotic or Bird, both great companies!  It will probably come down to which fits you better.  The Geo is very similar and it also depends if you want the option to change the rear travel to a shorter 145mm or not.  Get some demo’s arranged!

sv

Transferable lifetime warranty on the Aeris.

skybluestu

Tested the pre long shot rocket the week before the new one came out. Not sure how different the new one would feel from the one I tested.

Will get to cwm carn and test out the bird I think before going any further.

Bird seems to get a little more for your money but the Cotic rode so well when I tested it!

Premier Icon joebristol
    Subscriber

I haven’t had a go on the Cotic to comment but echo the customer service from Bird is awesome. Love my 145lt – round Cwmcarn it’s really fast on the bumpy bits. Rode my hardtail round the Twrch a few weeks ago and got a shock at how bumpy it was!

Burchy1

I’ve got the new Longshot Rocket and its flippin good, rides amazingly well on the stuff i tend to ride (winch up, plummet down),with the extra wheelbase over my old bike really noticeable when it gets steep. It’s a little bit much for flatter stuff but not unenjoyable.

A friend has a Aeris which i’ve had a roll round on, that felt good aswell and he’s certainly a better rider using it.

I think the Rocket looks better though, but thats subjective isnt it 😉

Premier Icon Neb
    Subscriber

I’m pondering the exact same decision! I was thinking of an orange  alpine 6, but it seems a bit short compared to the rocket and the aeris 145lt.

Does anyone have any frame weights? I can only find full build weights.

Opinions on the CC coil inline vs the fox X2?

Premier Icon rossburton
    Subscriber

As a Cotic fanboy I say Cotic.  They’re customer service is also great.

Probably best to ride one before committing: Sam the Cotic Demo Man is always touring and you can ask him to come to you.

milky1980

I’ve ridden both, I now own a Rocket.

There was very little between the bikes, certainly not enough to say one was definitely better than the other.  The Aeris was a bit dead feeling, most likely due to the basic shock and forks the demo bike had fitted but was a proper steamroller ob the rough stuff.  The Rocket was a bit more lively but still a steamroller pointing down.  I decided between the two by the Rocket feeling a better fit despite the figures being within millimetres (both mediums).  I could also get the Rocket in the exact spec I wanted out of the box where the Aeris would have meant a few changes to start with.   TBH either bike would have been great for me but the Rocket won it’s way into my heart and continues to do so.

You need to demo them really.

Aeris has bottle cage bosses if it matters to you (it did to me!), alongside the lifetime warranty.

Premier Icon joebristol
    Subscriber

Just to add I’d not be keen on an orange Alpine 6 – whilst its only one case by mate has one and cracked the swingarm. Orange replaces it under warranty but it was still a faff waiting to get the bike back fixe sand the Internet seems littered with cracked orange frame stories. That’s without the fact it’s a single pivot without even a linkage controlled shock.

milky1980

My Rocket has a set of bottle bosses, under the top tube.  Not the greatest position granted but they are there.

I did look at the Alpine 6 as I was replacing a 5 and it’s not as nice as the Rocket or Aeris.  Something about the cable routing at the front just looks wrong.  Add in the VFM issue and it was a no-go for me.

Premier Icon joebristol
    Subscriber

How much does rhe rocket weigh – the Aeris is no lightweight but the rocket is steel?

Just looked at the build options for the cotic and no Rockshox / Fox forks – seems lower level builds have X Fusion and everything else has the Cane Creek Helm. What’s the Helm like in comparison to say a Lyrik or 36?

raybanwomble

Same as an Alu Nomad V4, 8lb without a shock. The alu Nomad climbs better and tracks the terrain better as well.

Yhe Helm is a lot more damped than thr Lyrik and 36, suffers more noticable suck down and has more stiction. Damping is great for hard hitting riders out the box though.

Premier Icon joebristol
    Subscriber

Is that light or heavy? Not a clue what my Aeris frame weighs with or without a shock. Think it comes in around 32lbswith a fairly heavy build kit – Yari’s / DT Swiss E1900 wheels / 11 speed GX / heavyish tyres / brand x dropper etc.

Premier Icon Neb
    Subscriber

Any thoughts about sizing? The large Aeris is 502mm reach, which seems massive to me! I’m 5’11” and currently riding a 440mm reach bike and it is a touch too small. An extra 60mm reach seems a big increase.

Any idea why the large rocket is the same wheelbase as the large Aeris, despite 20mm shorter reach? Head angle, chainstay length and stack height are almost identical…

skybluestu

I will be going from a large Rocket 26″ so interested in sizing as well. I would imagine a large on either would work for me. I am a shade over 6ft and when tested the 27.5 rocket pre long shot found not a lot of difference but large worked better as easier to manuvure slightly.

Premier Icon andytheadequate
    Subscriber

@neb you could go for a medium instead. I think the reach is about 455mm, so would be a bit longer than your current one.

I’m considering a rocket but not sure a super long bike would suit me. I’m going to have a test ride of one at some point but have a feeling that it will just feel weird as I won’t have enough time to get used to the geometry.

swanny853

Cotic quote sagged geometry, that might do it? Or fork offset? Or some combination

Premier Icon bungalistic
    Subscriber

I’m trying out a new Rocket this weekend, but that’s not much help really. I’ve ridden the latest Aeris and while the one I tested (nicked off mate) was a bit too big for me it felt pretty nice.

Premier Icon Kamakazie
    Subscriber

Neb: What stem length are you running? The Cotic is going to be running a 35-45mm stem so you can take any length difference out of the reach figure in terms of how stretched you will feel.

Not sure on the wheelbase query but don’t see how sagged geometry could be the reason. Wheelbase likely to shorten when sagged unless the rear axel path is significantly rearward.

“Any idea why the large rocket is the same wheelbase as the large Aeris, despite 20mm shorter reach? Head angle, chainstay length and stack height are almost identical…”

I think the wheelbase numbers are based on the 145, not the 145LT, and with a shorter fork. The Rocket has an external lower headset so that would add a few mm of wheelbase, but not 20mm. So the 145LT with the same fork as the Rocket would be longer size for size in reach and wheelbase.

Premier Icon Neb
    Subscriber

In comparison between the rocket and the Aeris, the numbers don’t quite add up for me. Not that it matters that much, just curious!

I have been running a 45mm stem on my current 440mm reach bike, so a ML Aeris at 480mm reach would feel about 30mm longer with a 35mm stem (seat angles are the same). The L would be 50mm, which does seem big. The chainstay are longer and the head angle slacker too. The wheel base is 70mm longer!

I like steep, very technical descents often with tight switchbacks, so I’m a bit worried I’d regret buying a bike so big. Any thoughts or experience to suggest I’m wrong?!

I’m thinking the ML size would be better, with a 170mm dropper…!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.