Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Longest running bands still recording/touring with the original members
  • warton
    Free Member

The Nolans

nostoc
    Free Member

I don’t usually rise to things like this, even on STW, but I don’t think Dave Swarbick was in the original line-up of Fairport Convention

warton
    Free Member

agree with nostoc. but, there’s no way they’re on their original line up. i saw them about 6 years ago, and i don’t think there was one original member. they were shite as well.

oldboy
    Free Member

Definitely not The Drifters that’s for sure though they must hold some sort of record for the most personnel ever.I remember when they were playing in two different venues in Manchester at the same time on the same night with two completely different line ups.

I saw one incarnation at The Twisted Wheel (one of the two venues). Couldn’t wait for the DJ to get back on if my amphetamine obscured memory of the period serves me correctly! 🙂

wiggles
    Free Member

Sugarbabes… Oh wait

peterfile
    Free Member

Teenage Fanclub lost Brendan O’Hare after Grand Prix, or maybe thirteen – before Songs from Northern Britain at least.

*extreme pedant alert*

i don’t think Brendan O’Hare was technically an original member?

julianwilson
    Free Member

Not an answer at all, but I saw the Yardbirds live the other day and there were 2 original members and three lads who must have been in their 20’s. This also meant they rocked rather hard for a 47-year-old act though

iirc there are 2 discreet/different versions of the Animals that still tour, each with one original bloke in them.

bokonon
    Free Member

i don’t think Brendan O’Hare was technically an original member?

Well quite – wasn’t an original member, did go on to be the drummer for 2.5 albums or so, then replaced by someone else, then they were replaced by Francis Mcdonald who did half of the first album.

If we are going to play that game, then Black Sabbath – they have played fairly recently with the original line up.

Andy-R

nostoc – Member 
    I don’t usually rise to things like this, even on STW, but I don’t think Dave Swarbick was in the original line-up of Fairport Convention

You were right and I was wrong………

Lifer
    Free Member

Clutch – recording and touring since 1990.

bob_summers

Blind Boys of Alabama. Playing since 1944. Sure, four of the six founding members are dead but surely they deserve an honourable mention 🙂

mikey74
    Free Member

Neurosis: If you ignore their various peripheral members, the core of the band have been together since 1985 and still going strong.

maloney19710776
    Free Member

Twisted Sister

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

UK Subs – formed in ’79 or ’80 iirc. Saw them a few months back – Charlie Harper is now 68 and was still giving it some on stage – fair play!

flap_jack
    Free Member

Underworld. Well, they changed the band name but the members are still Fleur…

edlong
    Free Member

If we are going to play that game, then Black Sabbath – they have played fairly recently with the original line up.

Erm, they did a press conference as the original line up and promptly fell out with Bill Ward and he didn’t play the shows.

Question on definitions – how are we meant to define “original line up?” – most bands go through changes in the formative period, but often establish a stable line up prior to recording the first album. U2 fall into this category, t’Edge’s brother was originally part of the band, but had left before they recorded, and they’ve kept a stable line up for their entire recording career.

And what about bands that change their names? U2 also fall into this category btw.

edlong
    Free Member

Having looked at the wording of the question again, I’m taking it as being original members, with no new members, but it doesn’t say that all the original members have to be there, so on that basis, since the official members of the band are Brian May and Roger Taylor, I’m calling Queen (1971?)

bokonon
    Free Member

Erm, they did a press conference as the original line up and promptly fell out with Bill Ward and he didn’t play the shows.

Ward played with them and recorded stuff around 2001 definitely – I saw them.

edlong
    Free Member

Ward played with them and recorded stuff around 2001 definitely – I saw them.

If thirteen years ago counts then that does open the field up somewhat. If that was the last thing they had done together then maybe you could have it, but since they have subsequently both played live and made an album without Ward, I don’t think you can really..

shermer75
    Free Member

When did U2 form?

bokonon
    Free Member

When did U2 form?

1978?

shermer75
    Free Member

I’ve thought of one- Kraftwerk

leadbasher
    Free Member

Cliff Richard

shermer75
    Free Member

Wikipedia says 1976. I’ve just looked up Kraftwerk too, they’ve had loads of members.

brooess
    Free Member

Cliff Richard

I was about to say that!

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Longest running bands still recording/touring with the original members’ is closed to new replies.