Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Longest running bands still recording/touring with the original members
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Am struggling to think of anything older than ZZ Top.

Anyone else?

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Aerosmith?
    Motley Crue – although ZZtop and Aerosmith are older.
    Heart, think its still the original band and they were around in the 70’s.

EDIT: Rush? U2?

kennyp
    Free Member

Rush changed their drummer after their first album, about 40 years ago. Since then though the line-up hasn’t changed a bit.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ti_pin_man
    Free Member

and of course aerosmith have parted company with various members in the past, albeit reunited. I suspect Heart may be the same. Motley isnt that old and of course neither is U2.

mogrim

Are the Rolling Stones still touring?

Junkyard
    Free Member

the line up changed though as one died

Status Quo – are they still the original line up?

Mersey beat one – jerry and the pacemakers?

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

The Stranglers are currently on their 40th anniversary tour with three out of the original four still producing studio work and two of the originals on stage. Jet Black’s health isn’t up to touring now.

warton
    Free Member

Are the Rolling Stones still touring?

Ronnie Wood?

Status Quo – are they still the original line up?

No, drummer and bassist. I only know this as there was a program on BBC4 on Friday about them.

DezB
    Free Member

The Stranglers are currently on their 40th anniversary tour with three out of the original four still producing studio work and two of the originals on stage.

Er, so not the Stranglers then!

vinnyeh

The Seekers. Kind of.

Stones have lost Jones, Wyman and Taylor at a a minimum, over the years.

woody2000

the answer is “Golden Earring” – all original members, formed in 1961 (I cheated!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Earring

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Woody, from your linked article;

Current members of Golden Earring are Barry Hay (vocals, guitar, flute and saxophone, member since 1967), George Kooymans (vocals and guitar, founder of band), Rinus Gerritsen (bass and keyboard, founding member), and Cesar Zuiderwijk (drums and percussion, member since 1970).

Sorry, but if you’re going to cheat, at least do it properly! 😉

mogrim

Stones have lost Jones, Wyman and Taylor at a a minimum, over the years.

Fair enough, didn’t bother to check the detail – they all seem so old I kind of assumed they were original 🙂

woody2000

My bad. I was looking at another page, then noticed there was a Wiki page and never checked it!

I was looking at this

The Oldest Rock Bands still Performing Today, Then and Now

Which said:

Current members:

Name: Marinus “Rinus” Gerritsen
    Role: Bass
    Original Member: Yes
    Time: 1961 – Present

Name: Barry Hay
    Role: Vocals

Name: George Kooymans
    Role: Guitars

Name: “Cesar” Zuiderwijk
    Role: Drums

I took that to mean all original 😳

DezB
    Free Member

I think its definitely not Dr Feelgood:

How they can call themselves Dr Feelgood, I don’t know!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Its hard most of the ones I think off have dead members such as the Beach Boys or the Bee gees …i am racking my brain alphabetically!!!

bokonon
    Free Member

ZZ Top changed their drummer after the first release.

Longest ever was probably The Four Tops – 1953 – 1997, but they are no longer going as the original line up.

LS
    Free Member

^ Sort of – I think the first album was Gibbons, Beard and Hill but there had been other people with Billy before they got to that point?

If there’s any doubt, you could always qualify it with ‘and still producing great music’ – that way ZZ Top definitely win 😀

zippykona

The Osmonds / Jackson’s?

iolo
    Free Member

Atomic Kitten?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I think the first album was Gibbons, Beard and Hill but there had been other people with Billy before they got to that point?

That is indeed true. So not too sure if my own suggestion fits the bill or not! I suppose we could qualify it from their first album release!

Oh, and this;

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwjyBKPYtlo[/video]

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Chas & Dave?

bokonon
    Free Member

ZZ Top – The first single (Salt Lick) was Gibbons, Greig and Mitchell, replaced afterwards with Gibbons, Beard and Hill – so not the “original” line up of ZZ Top, because there is a record made with a different one.

bokonon
    Free Member

Unless of course you start from the fist album, rather than first release.

DezB
    Free Member

I reckon it’s U2..

bokonon
    Free Member

Chas & Dave?

Duo’s can’t count, because if it was a different line up, it would not longer be Chas and Dave – e.g. the Everly Brothers – spent a decade apart doing other things, but no one was the every brother in the interim…

bokonon
    Free Member

Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young – probably stretching the rules ( a lot) but the line up hasn’t changed since they started with that name in 1969.

DezB
    Free Member

Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young

still recording/touring – last toured 2006

Pigface
    Free Member

Sex Pistols if you can call them a band these days. Matlock, Cook, Jones and Rotten

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Sex Pistols if you can call them a band these days. Matlock, Cook, Jones and Rotten

How could you forget Sid?

zippykona

Sid was a replacement.

DezB
    Free Member

I don’t think reforming for the annual gig can be considered “touring”.

I’m still winning with U2 🙂

Northwind

Nine Inch Nails- consistently throughout their life have been Trent Reznor and 4 blokes nobody knows the name of.

rhid

sugarbabes

Vinte
    Free Member

Jethro Tull 😀

BikePawl
    Free Member

Well, if he’s^^ going to say Jethro Tull, I’ll nominate Fairport Convention 😈

peterfile
    Free Member

A bit closer to home, I’ll be having dinner with one of Teenage Fan Club on Saturday night.

1989 to present.

Andy-R

BikePawl – Member
    Well, if he’s^^ going to say Jethro Tull, I’ll nominate Fairport Convention

Certainly can’t be Jethro Tull, as they changed bass players from Glenn Cornick to Jeffrey Hammond-Hammond (JHH played on “Aqualung”) and it can’t be Fairport either, because Richard Thompson and Dave Swarbrick were in the original line-up.

bokonon
    Free Member

Teenage Fanclub lost Brendan O’Hare after Grand Prix, or maybe thirteen – before Songs from Northern Britain at least.

nick1962
    Free Member

Definitely not The Drifters that’s for sure though they must hold some sort of record for the most personnel ever.I remember when they were playing in two different venues in Manchester at the same time on the same night with two completely different line ups.They’ve aged well too 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Longest running bands still recording/touring with the original members’ is closed to new replies.