Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Longest downhill trail in the UK
  • joolsburger
    Free Member

Is what?

Thanks.

br
    Free Member

Off a big hill/mountain?

Guessing Scotland due to ‘restrictions’ in England/Wales.

We’ve plenty upwards of a mile long in the Borders, so there’ll be far longer stuff up north.

jekkyl

great question. Lots of things to consider in that question. Legally rideable or otherwise? by downhill do you mean anything pointing downwards, i.e. not flat, so can include very gently declining land?
    continous roll? i.e. you don’t have to get off and open a gate.

P-Jay
    Free Member

As in Downhill or a downhill bit of a trail?

I believe the longest DH track is the red at Ft. William, it’s 6km.

Climach-x in North Wales was always sold as having the longest unbroken downhill section on an official XC trail, but I’ve ridden longer ones, they’re just broken up by gates to stop MX riders. I’d guess Terry’s Belly as BPW is longer too, but is that DH or just a trail, BPW doesn’t count itself as a DH venue, it’s not really a DH track that’s 4.5km

ads678

Surely Snowdon has to be up there? Is there a bridleway from the top of Ben Nevis?

Edit: Stupid boy, just cos it’s high doesn’t mean it’ll be the longest!! 😳

scotroutes

There are no bridleways in Scotland.

Golspie used to claim to have the longest downhill trail in the UK. Don’t know if that’s been superceded.

The descent off Carn Ban Mor in the Cairngorms must be a contender.

ads678

You know what I meant.

br
    Free Member

Is there a bridleway from the top of Ben Nevis?

Which is why I mentioned ‘restrictions’, pretty much any trail can be ridden in Scotland.

jekkyl

this has been debated before and there was some consensus that (in england at least) it was one of the drops off Helvellyn. It really needs sorting out into some resulty. Maybe there’s a magazine somewhere who could take it, measure the disctances and communicate their results. With a top10 or something.

Spin
    Free Member

I’ve said on other threads that the descent from Beinn Fhada is probably the longest 100% rideable trail in the UK in terms of height loss, about 1016m.

br
    Free Member

I’ve said on other threads that the descent from Beinn Fhada is probably the longest 100% rideable trail in the UK in terms of height loss, about 1016m.

Call me pedantic, but you can’t have a longest height 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

I think we did this and there is one off Scafell that is the longest in the lakes – its not very good either – not ridden it myself- if i am remembering correctly

Surely we want fun rather than just long?

molgrips
    Free Member

Llanberis path is 7km long IIRC.. does that count? Did it back in the day – very very fast in places, and on a modern bike insanely dangerous for both you and the walkers I reckon!

jekkyl

how can you measure fun Junky? length however can be quantified. *speccy emoji*

fergal
    Free Member

Spin i remember you spraying about Beinn Fhada, Can’t really picture this descent though, did you go down to the bealach.

Ben Lomond circa 900m trumps Carn Ban mor(600m now kitty litter and water bars oh the joy!)

Spin
    Free Member

did you go down to the bealach.

No, we did it as an out and back from Morvich leaving the track a bit before the bealach on the way up then heading up into corrie and onto the summit ridge by a zig zagging stalkers path.

mactheknife

Spin i think you have it, apart from being the longest IMO its also amazing fun. V Techy.

Junkyard
    Free Member

how can you measure fun Junky?

true but we have all done long descents that were crap and not worth the struggle up

scotroutes

TBH, I was thinking length rather than height loss. I’ll have to go and look at a few maps…

thomthumb
    Free Member

doethie valley – 7 km singletrack descent

matt_outandabout

Point the wrong way on an escalator?

rotten
    Free Member

Lochnagar to Loch Muick is quite long with plenty height loss.

lerk
    Free Member

I thought Glenlivet was supposed to be it?

That’s certainly what I was told when I was riding up the bleeder!

fifeandy
    Free Member

How long is Glentress from the mast to the bottom of pie?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I think we did this and there is one off Scafell that is the longest in the lakes – its not very good either – not ridden it myself- if i am remembering correctly

Biggest vertical bridleway decent in England.

Depends what you define as ‘fun’, the top section is a flat out scree field, the middle bit is the same but with a long slalom of corners, then there’s another duller bit interspersed with rocky chutes, then it’s into the woods.

It’s not particularly singletrack, but it’s not completely without merit. Depends how fit you are as to whether it’s worth the climb or not.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Ben Nevis to the car park at Torlundy (barely 50m ASL) should be rideable, so that pretty much ties-up the biggest vertical drop. Not sure on longest continuously-descending trail.

whitestone
    Free Member

Where’s the bridleway on Scafell?

postierich
    Free Member

As above!!!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Perhaps it was sty head- having just checked a map!!!- but i recall someone saying a descent from scafel was the longest gateless in the Lakes
    If my memory is incorrect – at it looks like it may well be then – the apologies

Spin
    Free Member

Ben Nevis to the car park at Torlundy (barely 50m ASL) should be rideable, so that pretty much ties-up the biggest vertical drop. Not sure on longest continuously-descending trail.

Depending on route, getting down from the half way lochan involves sections that are unrideable for even quite skilled riders (possible for some I’m sure) or pointless bog riding.

scaredypants

Point the wrong way on an escalator?

surely that wouldn’t count once you’d taken off ?

joolsburger
    Free Member

doethie valley – 7 km singletrack descent

That’s the sort of thing I’m after, you know, a downhill trail not a DH course.

parkedtiger
    Free Member

but i recall someone saying a descent from scafel was the longest gateless in the Lakes

It’s the other Scafell out towards Hesket Newmarket.

Woodentop
    Free Member

Where’s the bridleway on Scafell?

It’s the other Scafell out towards Hesket Newmarket.

Great Sca fell
    Part of the Uldale Fells (a few miles north of Skiddaw House), its about 2.5 mile I’d say, claimed to be the longest natural downhill trail in the UK??
    Its pretty much all on grass, if your local to it its worth a bash, can tie it in to a few routes, nothing to write home about though.

Spin
    Free Member

its about 2.5 mile I’d say, claimed to be the longest natural downhill trail in the UK??

England maybe.

mcnultycop

Riding on the grass and ropey bits of surfacing along Cragg Vale.

justinbieber

hmm… there’s Esk Hause to Stockley bridge which starts at roughly 750m and drops to 200m (ish) over the course of 4 miles or so. Best descent in the Lakes if you ask me, and then Helvellyn via Dollywagon and Grisedale Beck drops you from 950m to 150m over a similar distance and is just as good. No idea about Scotland, and I’d have thought that the Rangers Path off Snowden would be longer.

Si
    Free Member

Lochnagar

Spin
    Free Member

Lochnagar

Which way?

chickenman

Almost every hill in the Cairngorm National Park (slight exaggeration I know )now has a bulldozered track going up: Lots of potential for long boring descents there!
    The descent NE off Ben Avon to Linn of Avon is about 5 miles long, not all downhill however!

Bowderdale (Howgills Fell) must the one of the longest in England.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Longest downhill trail in the UK’ is closed to new replies.