Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Longer XC/Singletrack Central-ish Scotland
  • swin
    Free Member

Let me start with an apology because I know this will have been asked plenty before…Myself and a few friends are just getting back into riding, all of us on hardtails. We’re looking to try and get a day trip fairly soon somewhere in Scotland. We’ve done Glentress and another couple of trail centres but looking for something more ‘natural’ i guess for this occasion.

Question 1: Whats the best way to find what i guess you would call natural, singletrack that is bikeable. I’ve had a look on strava and trailforks but it seems to only really show small, individual trails rather than bigger cross country loops?

Question 2: any recommendations for specific routes/trails within about 2/2.5 hours of glasgow?

I may well be asking for something that doesnt exist but if you dont ask you dont get!

Edit: Doesnt have to be all singletrack obviously but would like tro try and avoid spending a full day on landrover track

Beagleboy

Menteith Hills loop around Aberfoyle. Start in Callendar, head along the side of Loch Venachar, then up around Loch Drunkie (I fell in there once when I was very drunk), eventually you’ll start descending down through loads of lovely built singletrack towards Marshall Lodge and down to Aberfoyle. Then back along the side of the golf course, and up through the glen back towards Callander.

It’s a fair sized ride, a lot of double track grinding, but also a lot of fun singletrack.

BigR

http://www.mtbtrails.info/Trail_main_page.aspx or Scotland Mountain Biking: Wild Trails vol 1 and 2 are good places to start.

swin
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies, put them both together, is the route from Callander passed Loch Drunkie this:

http://www.mtbtrails.info/Trail_Venue_Map_TrailViewer.aspx?VenueNumber=142&TrailNumber=461&Unique=637300067937314280

Cheers for the suggestions

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Have you tried Drumlanrig? A trail centre in name only, really quite natural feeling. I’d say firmly xc but there are some nice wee bits to practice on.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

You can get into the bigger hills too from Drumlanrig. Bit of southern upland way to Wanlockhead then there’s some singletrack down from the radar station.

Ochils and Stirling area have plenty of singletrack.

StirlingCrispin

Comrie Croft is awesome.

Or for more natural stuff you can’t beat starting an explore from Callander or Aberfoyle or Balquhidder.

swin
    Free Member

Cheers team really appreciate the suggestions. From looking them up so far its exactly what im after. also the MTBTrails.info site is exactly what ive been looking for.

Lets hope theres no spills

2tyred

Not sure where you’re starting from, but the Kilpatrick hills make for a great day out from Milngavie, so much brilliant singletrack up there and so many ways you can loop it all together for a big day out. All natural.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Was gonna suggest the drumlanrig and wanlockhead ride, it’s a belter.

matt_outandabout

How about a different day – Ben Chonzie.
    Yes more than half is double track, but the top single track and summit pedal is delicious, as is the speed and rocks of the main track…. Trust me, it’s a fine trip…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ben chonzie is indeed a guid yin. Matt, there’s some decent looking paths around where you cross the burn (bridge) not far from the bottom, you ever explored there?.

There’s a really good ride from comrie up to loch turret and along sone of the tops the other side of the loch from chonzie, if you Google turret and stw you should find my strava of the route. It’s braw.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Longer XC/Singletrack Central-ish Scotland’ is closed to new replies.