Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Longer travel shock replacement? (but same length i2i)
  • sheeps

I asked this on Friday, and the only opinion offered was a bit ‘suck it and see’. Before I commit to buying a new shock, are there any other thoughts on replacing a Santa Cruz Superlight rear shock (200×50) with a 200x57mm Float RP2? The distance between the rear swing arm brace and the seat post is just over 60mm, so I think that the potential for swing arm hitting frame is unlikely.

However, has anyone done this and can say yeah or nay whether it will work before I press the BUY button.

(History… Current shock dead (and 12 years old). It’s as cheap to buy a new 2012 RP2 as it is to service the old one!)

Ta

havinalaff
    Free Member

get a piece of wood and drill 2 holes in it 143mm apart and mount it instead of the shock, roll / ride it around see if the swingarm / wheel / tyre hits anything.

Simples

5thElefant
    Free Member

I was going to suggest taking the shock out and measure the gap when it fouls something, but I like havinalaff’s template approach.

sheeps

havinalaff… I like your thinking. Can see what I’m going to be doing this evening in the cellar 🙂

ta

havinalaff
    Free Member

i’m thinking that the superlight is 100mm travel so the shock would give you 114mm with the new shock. If you run at 30% sag you’ll end up with the bottom bracket just under 1/4″ lower and will slecken your head angle by just under 0.5 degrees.

All in all should be good providing it fits!!!!! Make sure the RP2 you buy is the appropirate tune.

sheeps

And the answer is no! having adopted the havinalaff 143mm wood template approach, a 57mm shock will result in the rear triangle brace hitting the back of the seat tube.

So… it has to be 200×50 – of which I have just found a cheap one on CRC 🙂

anjs
    Free Member

are the volume and compression / damping tune the same?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Longer travel shock replacement? (but same length i2i)’ is closed to new replies.