Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Longer, Lower, Slacker
  • jeffl

So toying with the idea of a new frame and looking at the Sherpa or Solaris. Comparing the geometry of the largest frame sizes (I’m 6’5″) they’re both pretty close. But comparing it to the existing frame, Inbred 29er, the effective top tube is not massively different.

Inbred = 652mm
    Solaris = 657mmm
    Sherpa = 640mm

Now the Inbred is an old design, I get the head angle is sharper but I thought the new breed of bikes were supposed to have a longer front end. Am I missing something or was the inbred ahead of it’s time?

One thing to note. All dimensions are from the company websites and I’m aware that One-One/Planet-X have a reputation for not being entirely accurate. Unfortunately Planet-X/On-One don’t publish reach and stack figures that I can use to compare, at least that I can find.

wiggles
    Free Member

reach is what to look for, as top tube length matters when you are sat down, reach matters when you are stood up riding the interesting stuff as it is kind of irrelevant how far the saddle is from the bars at that point.

Ive just bought a new frame that is only 11mm longer in the TT than my other bike but the reach is about 47mm longer, using a 10mm shorter stem I should have a very similar position when sat down but should feel considerably longer when standing.

Also the british steel hardtail brands are not really at the forefront of geometry envelope pushing.

Northwind

Basically ETT is pretty useless because of all the other ways the frame changes shape, it’s like trying to buy trousers based on measuring from your bum to your feet, without considering whether your knee’s bent.

You also need to be careful with fork and sag, it makes a lot of difference on a hardtail

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    oldnpastit

You could contact Cotic and ask them about a demo?

https://www.cotic.co.uk/demo/

jeffl

Thanks for the replys. When the time comes I’ll more than likely get a test ride booked in as I only live 30 minutes away from both Cotic and Stanton, just trying to work out options ATM.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Longer, Lower, Slacker’ is closed to new replies.