Long weekend ski trip from Gatwick?

Home Forum Chat Forum Long weekend ski trip from Gatwick?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Long weekend ski trip from Gatwick?
  • Earl

Trying to get a few days on the snow somehow before the season ends. Leave Fri – back Mon or Tues.

Anyone recommend a plan i.e. flights/transfers/accom/chalet etc….

Generally, airports a long way from ski resorts. Some chat a few years back about the eurostar to Paris, then the sleeper down to the alps and coud be on the slopes by mid-morning. Also easer to transport skis and boots that way, can even extend and get to Italy.

I spent a couple of hours online earler today doing just this.

SW trains before the Sparrow lets rip to Gatwick
    Sleazyjet, Gatwick to Geneva.
    Morzine Express transfer – Geneva to….Morzine
    Chalet’s a plenty in Morzine
    And back.

Over the Easter weekend too. Google is your friend 🙂

Premier Icon mikewsmith

Geneva and a whatever resort has snow and rooms. There are a few ski room finder services about.

Done cham and deux alpes from geneva the latter was 3hrs drive so about the limit really

Try here, you’ll like it

thanks thanks thanks
    I’ll get stuck in.

Premier Icon cobrakai

BA to Innsbruck? No charge for a ski bag. As long as its under 190cm in length, it’s within standard hold baggage limits so can work out cheaper than easyjet to geneva.

Bus to the railway st takes 15 min then ICE to st anton takes 1hr 10min.

Alternatively, hire a car and head east to the ski welt/kitzbuhl. Only 1hr 30 min away.

Granted the resorts aren’t as high or the runs as wide and long but Austria is cheaper and the people IMO a LOT nicer.

Just got back from Innsbruck from my mates flat so quite fresh in my head.

Turin. Nice short flights and a massive amount of skiing with short transfers.

Sauze, Montgenevre, Sestriere, Serre Che, etc, etc.

Premier Icon Stoner

Just got back from 5days in Morzine this Friday.

300mm of snow at 2000m, 50cm at 1200m ish.
    Higher snow still great quality. South facing slopes can be a bit dust>ice>sugar as the day goes on. Mixed weather – had freezing rain one day, beautiful sunshine the next.

Recommend using Nyon to go up to the pistes if you are not in the middle of town. Or look at Montriond and going up at Lindaret. Not too busy and easy to get to on the town navette buses. Avoriaz has plenty of snow but is always a bit too busy IMO. Didnt get over to Les Gets this time.

Plenty of transfer minibuses about. Easyjet flight was pretty OK (Bristol for us) – £60 each way + £15 for ski bag each, so £300 return all in. We hired a car free for air miles which was handy.

Innsbruck. Stay in the city; its cool. One hour drive to stubaier gletscher, twenty five minutes to axamer lizum

Thanks for the top tips Stoner 😀

Looking like there’ll be some fresh snowfall too over the next week.

Premier Icon wallop

I would vote for Salzburg. BA flight from Gatters (though with short notice can be £££) with lots of choice on flight times, then hire car getting you around Katschberg, Krieschberg, Obertauern, Turracher Hohe, Bad Gastein and a number of other resorts.

Premier Icon Stoner

We had some great fun out there this time. We know the area fairly well but it’s been 7 years since we were last there. I now have to go on a diet to shake off all the melted cheese Ive eaten though 🙁
    (check out La Matafan restaurant for top nosh and a very gregarious host who knocks out his own Eau de vie 😀 )

Finished off on Friday morning with a couple of runs from the top of the Pointe du Nyon all the way to the bottom without stopping – nearly 3,000′ in one go!

I have done skiweekends for a long weekend to La Tania.

It was good as they took the chunnel and had beers on board 🙂

The coach seats have loads of leg room and recline a long way (skimeribels turn into bunks!). If you can fall asleep on a coach normally you are quids in – regulars take sleeping bags.

It is good because you just get on the coach and go, no wasting time with waiting at airports, etc, just read your book, watch your movie on your tablet, drink, and sleep.

The resort near meribel is a bit low though, so maybe try the other ones.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Long weekend ski trip from Gatwick?’ is closed to new replies.