Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Long weekend in the Lakes
  • rugbydick

I’m coming down to the Lake District next weekend (assuming all the snow has gone) with my girlfriend, basing ourselves out of Coniston. We’ll have 3 1/2 days riding.

What “must do rides” should we look at?

We’ll probably ride Grizedale trail centre for at least half of one of the days; possibly including this “Parkamoor” route).

Had thought about the Tour o Skiddaw.

Anything else we should consider? Happy to do very long days in the saddle; we live on the edge of the Cairngorms, so we’re used to (and equipped for) big mountain days.

The only restrictions are:

– Not too techy (my gf is comfortable on trail centre reds, but nothing much more than that)

– Not too much hike-a-bike (issues with hips mean that extended walking will be painful)

martinhutch

The route you highlighted is ace, but does have some sections which will feel interesting compared to trail centre reds. But it’s such a good route that it’s well worth it, certainly better than just doing the North Face Trail, which is pretty boring for the most part. You can ride that from Coniston pretty easily.

Tour of Skiddaw is very untechnical in comparison, apart from the bit up the side of Lonscale Fell which requires care. Will be a bit boggier in places, obviously.

A combination of the Drunken Duck/Loughrigg Fell route on that site can be ridden from Coniston (there is a cycle track alongside the A593) and is generally less technical, but still good fun with great views. Basically over to Little Langdale, up and around Loughrigg, then up over to Iron Keld, round the back of Tarn Hows, and back via Tilberthwaite. Good introduction to Lakes riding.

mahalo

unfortunately the restrictions you wanna avoid pretty much typify lakes riding…

Borrowdale Bash would probably be alright?

or you could do a Buttermere loop via Whiteless from Whinlatter, where you use their south trail as your climb.

Helvellyn from Glenridding can be a fairly easy up / easy down.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    martinhutch

Borrowdale Bash would probably be alright?

Bash is a curious route, very easy or really quite technical, up and down, not a lot in between. And lots of road, unless you add some cheek.

I wouldn’t have said that Whiteless or Helvellyn from Glenridding fits the brief, either with regard to hike-a-bike or untechnical descending. Plus snow, probably.

yoshimi

Yes do Parkamoor – Also I’d recommend doing a route that takes in Iron Keld-Elterwater-Little Langdale (can include a trip to Cathedral Cavern which is interesting if you’ve not been before)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Long weekend in the Lakes’ is closed to new replies.