Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Long Valley / Eelmoor / Rushmoor arena access restrictions.
  • chr1s
    Free Member

Heads up towny one that rides this area.

I was riding through what is technically Long Valley but often called Eelmoor or Rushmoor Arena last week and saw a sign concerning the new fence they are putting up.

They intend to lock the gates when the army are using the high speed test facility similar to what they do at Ash Ranges when shooting.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/photos/share/ThcyFuLDt2IUecp0NiW13HbNd5E3TDHw9wWfzpOmCg5Long Valley Access restrictions

Anyone suggest anywhere else close to there to ride?

darksideby182

Probably a bit more info here https://trailactiongroup.co.uk

As for local riding a lot of the army land is being logged or fenced so it’s getting harder for riding but hopefully things will open up again. That tag website will have more info on.

dovebiker

I’m local, the fence is only around the Long Valley area, south of Bourley Lane – the Caesar’s Camp area to the north is still accessible. The new fence has remove a lot of the existing access points – expect a few disgruntled locals with bolt croppers will see to that. The whole MOD/DIO thing stinks as it was done with no consultation with the locals and still doesn’t address some of the serious issues e.g. illegal motorbike use, fly-tipping etc.

darksideby182

You will never stop motorcycles or fly tipping sadly, the MOD are now doing this to cover there arse from any public claims but I can fully understand the high speed vehicle area fence and hopefully access will still be provided when soldiers are not on exercise.

dovebiker

The high speed track is only a small part of the newly fenced area – its also bloody good for doing high intensity intervals for CX and MTB racing – it was fenced off 25 years ago but like almost every bit of MOD estate has suffered chronic neglect and its not as though you can’t hear them coming, but I’ve only ever seen it used on weekdays so it’s unused 75% of the time. I find the MOD behavior baffling when the military are getting smaller, struggling with retention and yet seem hell-bent on disenfranchising themselves from the local public. When presented with evidence that the dog poo bins were overflowing and could they arrange for more collections to encourage good behaviour, they declined on the basis of having no money and yet are happy to spend ~ £100k on a new fence to basically address the same problem!

chr1s
    Free Member

I was cycling around tunnel hill on Saturday and was really surprised st the trail destruction that’s gone on due to the logging, also from the motor cross bikes that have shredded the remaining trails making stupidly rootier but I guess the overall popularity over the years there hasn’t helped either.

I was was reading on TAG’s Facebook page that there has also been trail destruction over at Ceasers camp too.

When short on time I mainly ride long valley, but do venture into ceasers, minley and hawley.

anywhere else within ~4 mile cycle of Farnborough that’s not as busy as Swinley?

scottfitz
    Free Member

I was cycling around tunnel hill on Saturday and was really surprised st the trail destruction that’s gone on due to the logging

I was there last night, I could of done a better job driving the forwarder than them and I haven’t driven one before. Looks like the DIO said to them make as much mess as you can.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Long Valley / Eelmoor / Rushmoor arena access restrictions.’ is closed to new replies.