Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Long travel hardtail frame decisions…
  • lovetoride
    Free Member

Last week I asked for the comparison between sizes of the blue pig and decided that the 14″ would be too small. As the 16″ is out of stock I’m considering other options. Problem is I have a minimal budget, currently only have a second hand charge blender or new on one 456 evo 2. Any other options to consider? What would be better out of the above two frames? Most of my riding will be short evening fun blasts in the woods with the odd longer weekend ride. Will also be used for the occasional 20-30 mile loop round the peaks/lakes etc and trail centres such as Afan, CYB, 7stanes etc.

barffy
    Free Member

Like everyone I would recommend my own bike which is the 456 Evo. I can only imagine the Evo 2 is better as it has the features I miss on my bike (dropper friendly seat tube and tapered headtube). I’ve done literally evry type of riding you could want to do on mine and it’s been great. I’ve done 45 mile canal rides, XC, trail centres, natural trail riding, downhill runs, road riding and even a bash in the skate Parks and pump tracks and it’s been great. Like I say, the only issues i’ve found have been addressed with the updated version!

Also, buy a raw one! They look great!

PiknMix
    Free Member

The evo 2 AFAIK is still standard 1 1/8 headtube. This is the frame I’ve just ordered OP after being in a similar tight budget new frame situation.

Bucko

I’m afraid the 456 Evo 2 is a standard head tube;

“No fancy pants oversize tapered stuff for this one”

fd3chris
    Free Member

Someone was selling a Chromag Stylus frame on here and there is one on eBay too. It is an excellent frame to ride, I have one, and imho far better than an on one .

jambalaya
    Free Member

Like everyone I would recommend my own bike which is the 456 Evo.

Cotic BFe. Since getting mine I hardly ride the FS, it’s used for everything from 1hr blasts to 6hr “all day” rides in Surrey Hills and Peak District. I have Sektor coil adjustable 120/150 forks which work well with the bike, 140 fixed seems to be another popular choice.

by the way I am assuming you’re buying frame and transferring the kit over perhaps with a few new parts

lovetoride
    Free Member

Seems like 456 is the way to go, no love for the Charge Blender?

Save up and get Privee Shan

toys19
    Free Member

love my BFE.
    Money no object I would have the lovley Titanium frame: Kingdom Brignante AM275, I rode one in portugal and was smitten.

PS Any LTHT needs a dropper..

br
    Free Member
    mrblobby
    Free Member

That Kingdom is lovely.

As for the 456, any idea if you can get a 12mm swapout for the rear? Would make swapping wheels between bikes easier.

barffy
    Free Member

Sorry my bad I thought they had addressed that!

Really would put me off buying the Evo 2 then, have you tried looking for decent straight steerer forks? Very hard!

barffy
    Free Member

Sorry my bad I thought they had addressed that!

Really would put me off buying the Evo 2 then, have you tried looking for decent straight steerer forks? Very hard!

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I have the 456 Carbon Evo, looks great and will piss all over those other suggestions when I get round to riding it I’m sure. The last one I had was a million miles better than BFe and all the other nonsense you can buy. Can’t see why anyone would buy anything else really.

flyingmonkeycorps

You could buy a second hand Mmmbop (incidentally I have one for sale ;)) for cheap then save up for something really nice like the carbon 456 or the Kingdom… Or just end up keeping it ‘cos it’s super fun.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’ll tip what I have – Stanton Slackline.

It’s replaced a BFe and I much prefer it to be honest. It feels less dead and a bit more lively. Mine is totally out of date – 26inch wheels, 27.2mm seat post and an 1 1/8th steerer but I love it.

Northwind

I had a carbon 456, it was very cheap and it rode reasonably well but nothing else about the experience was any good. Build quality was poor, customer service was awful, warranty might as well not exist as they’ll rat out of it with any excuse they can think of (or, if you’re persistent, with several different contradictory excuses).

Mind you I probably liked riding it more than my BFe, it was well made, well finished, came from a company that’s deserving of your money… But was basically a bit dull and lumpen.

Quite liked my Mmmbop despite is flaws. ****ing love my Ragley Ti.

BadlyWiredDog

Quite liked my Mmmbop despite is flaws. ****ing love my Ragley Ti.

I picked up an Mmmbop on eBay to tide me over while my Ragley Ti was being warrantied and liked it enough that I’ve kept it as a bitsa hack bike set up 1×10 with old wheels and some 150mm coil u-turn Sektors. It’s harsh, but very together and a lot lighter than the Blue Pig which makes it significantly friskier uphill.

I’d say any of the non-ti Ragley frames would make a good secondhand buy. Great downhill, but climb well too.

flyingmonkeycorps

I love that Ragley frame, for pissing about in the woods it’s nigh on perfect. I needed something to do a 16 mile old railway commute on though, so I now have an Inbred and I can’t really justify keeping both!

toys19
    Free Member

Do they still sell the ragley Ti?

BadlyWiredDog

Nope. The closest thing out there would, I think, be either the 456 Ti Evo, which is selling for something like 600 quid last time I looked, or the Ti Slackline.

None of the mags seem to be reviewing On-Ones at the moment – wonder if they’ve managed to upset Future in some way.

Northwind

BadlyWiredDog – Member

None of the mags seem to be reviewing On-Ones at the moment – wonder if they’ve managed to upset Future in some way.

Maybe just restoring some balance after the over-abundance of PX/OO reviews in the past. (I was bored a while back and looked up some numbers, they’re one of the most reviewed brands in Future mags)

toys19
    Free Member

Nope. The closest thing out there would, I think, be either the 456 Ti Evo, which is selling for something like 600 quid last time I looked, or the Ti Slackline.

Hmm at 1250 I might be tempted to save another 250 and get the Kingdom, and get what I actually crave….

BadlyWiredDog

Maybe just restoring some balance after the over-abundance of PX/OO reviews in the past. (I was bored a while back and looked up some numbers, they’re one of the most reviewed brands in Future mags)

It seems kind of odd that there’s not a single magazine review out there of the 456 Ti Evo for example. Or any of the evo geometry bikes, I think. On paper they look to have something close to Ragley geometry but with a slightly lower bottom bracket, but it’s hard to find any rider impressions or reviews out there. Anyway…

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Long travel hardtail frame decisions…’ is closed to new replies.