Long travel FS to hooligan hardtail

Home Forum Bike Forum Long travel FS to hooligan hardtail

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Long travel FS to hooligan hardtail
  • Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Not bike shopping any time soon, but I saw the thread about the Pace RC627 and wondered how such a bike would compare to a FS with similar burly build.  It can get rocky around here, so I’d probably fit plus wheels to a hardtail.  I wonder if I would be out-and-out slower on a hardtail vs a FS?

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

I wonder if I would be out-and-out slower on a hardtail vs a FS

Probably, most people ride burly hardtails because they find them more fun with fewer repair bills.

Premier Icon funkmasterp
    Subscriber

^^That is exactly why I rode hardtails for years. I finally caved this year and got a full suspension. Getting older is rubbish.

Premier Icon BadlyWiredDog
    Subscriber

I wonder if I would be out-and-out slower on a hardtail vs a FS?

The short answer is that it depends.

Premier Icon facian
    Subscriber

But you’ll probably feel like you’re going faster on the hardtail, which is fun!

Premier Icon Trailrider Jim
    Subscriber

Exactly, slower but more fun, pop and feel. Just after my third trip in 15 years to A&E, now at the age of 45, a plus hooligan HT is my go-to choice (given up Strava bashing).

mark90

Recently built a burly/hardcore/long travel hardtail to complement my 150 FS. I found I set a few PB’s on some steep trails that I know well. On the proper steep stuff the lack of rear suspension isn’t really a hindrance, similarly on smooth flow trails that you might well pump anyway. On fast rocky or rooty trails the difference is most noticeable in terms of comfort, grip, and speed.

stevedoc

Steal framed long slack hardtail with big wheels or plus tyres ,is a must or better still an ideal n+1 , but in most cases slower by a country mile than my 160 full bounce

Premier Icon kayla1
    Subscriber

On the proper steep stuff the lack of rear suspension isn’t really a hindrance, similarly on smooth flow trails that you might well pump anyway. On fast rocky or rooty trails the difference is most noticeable in terms of comfort, grip, and speed.

That’s what I reckon as well. At the Eastgate DH (bumpy & difficult to pedal on my HT) this year I was faster and ended up racing on a FS (160 front, 140 rear) but had more fun getting my Switchback down in practice. The quickest time overall out of everyone (there was no separate HT category) was set by a fella on an Airdrop Bitmap. Hardtails rock 🙂

Premier Icon sprocker
    Subscriber

I have 150mm full sus 29 and a 27.5 hardtail with 2.6 tires and Pikes on. The hardtail is slower for me almost everywhere off road with the gap widening the rougher it gets. Enjoy the hardtail though and ride it lots in winter unless Its on really rocky stuff which is just plain painful. If I had to have one it would be definitely be full suss though.

geex

There’s absolutely nothing “hooligan” about riding plus tyres on any bike.
    Unless you count waving your walking stick at younger folk having fun as hooligan behaviour

Premier Icon metalheart
    Subscriber

Does a 140mm capable 29er frame (run at 130mm) count as hooligan?

asking for a(n elderly) friend…

rydster

Not as bad as an e-bike though.

Premier Icon Trailrider Jim
    Subscriber

There’s absolutely nothing “hooligan” about riding plus tyres on any bike.

Depends on how you ride them.

Premier Icon oysterkite
    Subscriber

I built up a switcback this year with donated parts from a full suss (160 pikes, DT Swiss ex471 rims) and I really enjoy riding it. Did two days at BPW last week and got 23 runs in over two days, I’ve found that the reds there are a sweet spott for me and more fun on a Hardtail. I’ve ridden there a fair bit on my Full Susser and having picked up a few  injuries pushing it a bit on the blacks I’m happier being challenged on the reds on a Ht . I also ride Surrey Hills a fair bit and it’s way more fun imho Hardtail with a big fork .I’m keeping the full suss for bike parks and big mountain days when I’m back in France. It’s probably an age thing

stevedoc

As above  the full sus is mainly the Lakes bike but my HT is the go to everyday local blast ride .. in 29 or plus form its a bone rattling smile maker  .. 170mm forks in the sweet spot right ?

Premier Icon funkmasterp
    Subscriber

130 or 140 forks are the sweet spot for me on a HT. Anything over that just feels wrong.

Premier Icon nickc
    Subscriber

You’d be slower in the bits that need pedalling probs. but unless smashing the strava everytime you’re going out is your defining motive, is that such a bad thing?

160 is the sweet spot for me, not because it adds travel, it’s the counter-intuitive point is that is keep the front up better than a shorter LT fork does, without making the bike too unweidly . a PP Shan with 160 Lyric was a thing of joy.

Premier Icon funkmasterp
    Subscriber

Interesting nickc, always wanted to try a Shan. I just find anything over 140, on the bikes I’ve ridden, tends to make the front feel more precarious. Think it’s the amount of travel that makes it feel like a bit of a seesaw with the back remaining static. Angle changes a bit too much for my liking.

greyspoke

I got a 29 – or – 27.5+ hardtail (140mm fork, longish and slackish).  It is much more trail-capable than the 100mm xc 29er it replaced, so much so that I am re-framing/ forking my 120mm 29er FS bike to 150mm to make the bikes differenter.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.