Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Long travel 29 to complement a non sbg Smuggler?
  • spaniardclimber
    Free Member

My son wants to resume riding with me so it’s the perfect excuse for N+1.

I already have a 2106 Smuggler with a 150mm fork. An SBG Smuggler would be perfect for the riding we do, but was thinking on getting a bike with more travel for those BPW days, it will also help to equalise the climbing pace when riding with him, as I’m fitter (for now).

We ride Surrey Hills and a couple of weekends at BPW, only blues with him. I’d then use the longer travel biker for BPW when I go with friends (been using the Smuggler fine) and we do reds and blues (might also do a trip to the Alps with it).

I have narrowed it to this list as at work we only get C2W with Evans, and I can get a good deal on a Ripmo AF:

– Kona Process 153, alu, SX and Yari
    – Kona Process DL, alu, NX and Lyrik RC (+£500)
    – Norco Sight A1, alu, GX and Lyrik (+£500)
    – Ripmo NX, alu, NX Dvo Diamond and coil! (+£750)
    – Norco Sight C2, carbon, SLX and Fox 36 Elite (+£1000)
    – Norco Sight C1, carbon, X0 and Lyrik (+£1600)
    – Process CD/DL, carbon, X0 and Lyrik (+£1900)

I love how the Ripmo looks, plus I’ve always been coil curious, but the Process and Sight get great reviews too and seem a good value with the C2W scheme…so would like to ask for STW opinions.

(Demoing doesn’t seem an option)

mildred

I know it’s same travel but I’m mighty impressed with my new Whyte s-150s I’ve just acquired through C2W scheme. I got the blue 2018/19 MY in the sales.

Downside to me was the RS suspension so I managed to get a CCDBcoil in-line & have the Revelations turned into Pikes by binning the MoCo damping, fitting Charger 2.1 RCT3 & having the debonair air spring fitted; all for slightly less than the original RRP when totted up (<£2500).

It’s phenomenally composed & feels like it’s got about 180mm travel.

argee

Spesh Enduro has to be something to try, i like the treks as well, personally i have a patrol, but it’s a bit of a struggle up hills, especially through winter when it’s fitted with large magic mary’s, i doubt you’ll find many 160/170mm travel bikes that are good on the up and the downs, the second you stick a DPX/X2/etc shock on the back and have a high front end you’ll always be a bit slower, unless you sacrifice a bit of performance from the shock, and of course things like tyres.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chakaping
    Free Member

Have you done anything to tweak the geo of your Smuggler?

I made mine feel totally different with offset bushings, slackset and a CCDB Air shock.

spaniardclimber
    Free Member

@mildred I can only get C2W through Evans and they don’t carry Whyte, so unfortunately not an option.

@argee
    I was looking at that one too, it’s a bit too much travel: 170mm vs the others I’m looking at that are 140-150mm, and there isn’t a cheaper alu version.

@chakaping
    I haven’t, happy with it as it is, also have a CCDB air shock. I want to keep it short travel (115mm) for less technical rides.

chakaping
    Free Member

The bushings and angle adjust headset just make the bike slacker with the same travel.

I usually just had a minus one degree headset in, but when I added the bushings too it felt like an enduro bike.

spaniardclimber
    Free Member

Where did you get your bushings from?

chakaping
    Free Member

Bounce in Preston.

I actually have a set that I need to sell if you want some cheaper, they only had a few rides before I changed bikes.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Long travel 29 to complement a non sbg Smuggler?’ is closed to new replies.