• This topic has 16 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Tom-B.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • long transfer time between flights?
  • ton

i have got a long transfer time between 2 flights at oslo airport.
    is it possible to leave the airport? or are you stuck in a departure lounge?

7 hour is the amount of time

crazy-legs

Which airport? If it’s the main one (Gardermoen), the train takes about 20mins, departures every 15 mins or so – sort of like the Gatwick Express.

If it’s Torp, the budget airline one then that’s bloody miles away!

I hate layovers of that sort of duration. Too long to sit around the airport, not long enough to wander off and have a good look round, you’re always worried about making it back in time.

ton

it is the main airport. gardermoen

so you dont have to stay in the airport?

allthegear
    Free Member

Depends. Are your bags checked right through? Then no, you won’t be permitted out.

Otherwise, okay within EU.

Rachel

mrmoofo

Norway isn’t EU …
    But presumably will all you out ….

allthegear
    Free Member

True – but part of EFTA

hols2
    Free Member

5lab

Ive frequently left airports with my baggage checked through. No issues at all. I often have an itinerary with overnight stops and if the only hotel is offsite it’s the only option

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Are your bags checked right through? Then no, you won’t be permitted out.

That’s not right.

If you’ve got the paperwork (and the time) then you are fine to come and go. It just means you have to go through security and passport control instead of staying airside.

5lab

Exactly. There isn’t even any way of identifying who has left the airport in most places

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You will do passport checks to get in but apart from that head off and have some fun, make sure you are back in plenty of time though and careful for the hand luggage rules. Had some very long layovers in Sydney so went for fish and chips at Manly one time 🙂

The only time the worry about your bags is if you don’t show and have to off load them

antigee

The only time the(y) worry about your bags is if you don’t show and have to off load them

exactly so airline staff discourage leaving airport ….as long as got boarding pass / passport don’t get married / steal a panda / stuff fireworks in your pants no reason not to go just play careful on time

wobbliscott
    Free Member

The only rule regarding luggage is that no unattended luggage can go on the aircraft for the connecting flight, so if you leave the airport and return for the connecting flight then no worries. If for some reason you don’t return for your connecting flight our luggage will be offloaded from the aircraft for the next leg.

Airport staff won’t have an opportunity to discourage you from leaving the airport…how will they know? you just head for immigration and passport control and wander out. Then check in on your way back in, unless you’re already checked in for your connecting flight and have the boarding pass, then just head into the airport and straight to departures. Job done.

andrewreay

If you are arriving at Gardermoen from outside Norway, you used to be forced out through passport control and luggage reclaim. If that’s the still the case, you could head downtown on the airport express (Flytoget) for £18 each way. So about the price of a half pint of Ringnes at the airport 😉

Airport is really dull (albeit architecturally interesting), so well worth doing something.

A trip up to Holmenkollen (Ski jump overlooking the Oslo Fjord and city centre) is probably the best thing to blow away the cobwebs and do-able in about an hour and a quarter from the airport if public transport goes your way Ski Jump Link.

Alternatively take a wander down Aker Brygge and the waterfront Waterfront link. That’s about 45mins from the airport.

Oslo is nice enough, and rarely somewhere people go as a dedicated destination, so I’d make the most of the opportunity to see if you’d consider going back.

PS Cabs are horrendously expensive and slower than the train to downtown, so really don’t bother.

MrSmith
    Free Member

This is what lounges were designed for, comfy chair, nibbles, free booze and followed with a snooze.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

This is what lounges were designed for, comfy chair, nibbles, free booze and followed with a snooze.

Add in a nice bath or shower, a massage and a proper restaurant and yep, you’re right. Had a six hour layover in Hong Kong recently. Could have done with it being a little longer.

Tom-B
    Free Member

I had 9 hours in Oman and overnight in Denpasar a few years ago

Oman was a **** ‘dry’ day so sat and nursed a coke in the Irish bar for 9 hours FFS.

Denpasar I slept in the kids play area as it was empty and there was a comfy bench!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘long transfer time between flights?’ is closed to new replies.