Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Long sleeve jersey recommendations
  • IHN

I’ve decided, after the thick end of twenty years, the long sleeved jersey I bought in the early days of Lidl doing cycling stuff can probably be retired. It’s not done badly for the, I dunno, £7.99 or whatever it cost.

So, I’m after something that’s nicely fitted without being roady-skin-tight or baggy-gnaarcore-duuude. Preferably merino/natural fibres, happy to pay decent amount for decent stuff that will last. Ideally rear pockets, cos it will get used without a pack.

Thoughts?

nickc

Rapha Core jersey in whatever colour suits Sir.

abingham

Following, as I’m in a similar boat. @nickc, aren’t Rapha Core all road fit?

nickc

Nah, Some Rapha kit is very “Italian sized” (Pro range, I think it’s called) but the Core stuff is not badly priced these days for a well-made jersey, is plenty comfy and is human shaped. I’m entirely averagely proportioned and a medium fits me with room to spare.

IHN

The Core is 100% polyester though, I’d rather have natural fibres.

chakaping
    Free Member

Rapha used to do some jerseys in sportwool, I have a lovely Italian-themed one.

Dunno if they still make them, but it was better than pure merino for higher-intensity riding.

johnnystorm

Endura MTR adventure Jersey is currently half price at Cyclestore. It’s a merino blend, black, showerproof shoulders and rear pockets, etc. I have the short sleeve one and it’s really good.

nickc

It’s a merino blend

Stretching the definition a bit, I think it’s something pretty small like 10%? I’ve a Torm jersey and they’re nice, the material’s pretty robust though, great for winter. I wouldn’t want to do anything energetic (like MTB) in the summer wearing a LS one.

Superficial
    Free Member

Hmm, I like the look of those Endura ones. Thanks…

After advice on here, I bought an Alpkit Morphosis which is a useful bit of kit. Lightweight, breathable, windproof. Not exactly a jersey per se (more of a light jacket) but also straddles that line between roadie clothing and baggy gaudy MTB stuff. I like it.

montylikesbeer

Alpkit do a cracker, from which I got one last month, this one is a short sleeve but they do a long sleeve also (I have both)

The sizing is “generous”

https://alpkit.com/products/kepler-velo-short-sleeve-mens

mrwhyte
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of the ls Overland jerseys. They are really nice to wear, keep you warm when there is a chill, but cool enough when it is warm. It isn’t the same material as the usual mtb ls jerseys too.
    https://www.overland-store.com/collections/clothing

chevychase

Long sleeve merino wool icebreaker.

Had mine 10 years, only just developed it’s first tiny hole. Warm in the winter, cool in the summer.

Only thing about it is it’s figure hugging so it shows off my lardy body, but when I’m on the MTB I’m not (generally) trying to get laid so I don’t care. Comfort / warmth > all.

And it gets used for walking/hiking too. And rarely washed as it never smells 🙂

IHN

Alpkit do a cracker, from which I got one last month, this one is a short sleeve but they do a long sleeve also (I have both)

The sizing is “generous”

Ah, I saw these. Are they big then? The sizing chart indicates a Large for a 6’1″, 84kg, 42″ chested adonis like me.

nbt

Findra gets good feedback

https://findraclothing.com/collections/mens-merino-wool-tops/

Would suggest Lusso but their merino top is sold out

mattkkitch

Mons Royale make very nice merino jerseys, they also work well as a base layer which is great for rides when you dont know if you’ll need your jacket on or off.
    Downsides, not cheap and can be over logoed (should that bother you)

luket

I have a couple of those alpkit kepler ones. I like them but the material is too stretchy to use the pockets for much more than a credit card. Like even a cereal bar has it sagging down over my arse. Maybe not when they’re brand new but soon enough.

For long sleeve merino the sporty icebreaker ones are my choice. The ones with lots of different knits all over the place. Accepting they’re not cycling specific but more than any other merino I’ve tried they keep their shape over time. Neither going saggy nor shrinking too readily on normal washing. Think I’m on my third over about 15 years. Because they hold their shape I think you can also size up for a bit less skin tightness and get away with it – mine do both riding and just wearing.

However I’m resigned to the idea of having to choose between (100%) merino and pockets, unless anyone can point to something better. Maybe some blend? Thus far I’ve chosen merino. I love it because I don’t mind getting damp if it still keeps me warm, which it does. And it’s truly remarkable how little washing I can get away with.

scuttler

Wot chevychase said (long sleeve Icebreaker – 15 years old from the factory shop in Auckland). If mine ever dies I’ll actually cry a tiny bit. The one item of clothing I revere.

Frankers
    Free Member

Highly recommend these

https://www.victorychimp.cc/collections/mens-jerseys/products/out-there-ls-trail-shirt-forest-fade

https://www.victorychimp.cc/collections/mens-jerseys/products/out-there-ls-trail-shirt-navy

Stretchy synthetic material that keeps you warm even when wet. Seems very resistant to branches and snags too

Edit:
    Just seen the brief for needing rear pockets which these don’t have.

Alternatively I’d recommend Rapha Brevit series or Isadore.

antigee

I like the groundeffect long sleeve summer tops….I see they do a merino one with pockets…

https://www.groundeffect.co.nz/products/berglar-long-sleeved-merino-cycle-top

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Long sleeve jersey recommendations’ is closed to new replies.