Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Long shot – Velux noise reduction
  • Andy_K

Can’t be many people out there with them fitted over the standard ones, but does anyone have the special low noise velux windows fitted? As in:

Velux website

We are renovating a cottage at the minute and I’m currently ruling out Velux windows in our main bedroom because of the noise – and we live near the Lakes, so rain will be kind of frequent!

andysredmini
    Free Member

Not going to help you but I love the sound of the rain on ours. Reminds me of being in a tent. Ours is in the kitchen though so I don’t have to listen to it when I’m trying to sleep.
    Sorry that was no help.

qwerty
    Free Member

I love the sound of the rain on ours.

+1 & ours are in our bedroom.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wwaswas

I’d only sleep in a roof where there were shutters or something over the bells windows. On the odd occasion I’ve slept in our loft conversion reason on the value has woken me. It is like being in a tent, which is nice when you’re in holiday but not when you have work in the morning.

Andy_K

Yeah, the bedroom is going to be quite “cottagey”, for which, read “dark”, but I think I’m ok with that, were putting a couple of normal helix in the spare room so at least the guests can look at the weather 😉

globalti
    Free Member

I used to love the sound of the rain on the Velux when I slept in an attic room.

T1000
    Free Member

it might be worth a look at the Triple glazed Velux versions or competitors Triple glazed products

The Velux one is noticeably quieter than the regular windows

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Had Velux windows in several houses and I liked the rain on the window w, you get used to it after a while like traffic noise but better.

GregMay
    Free Member

Sound of rain on a window is one of the few things that is guaranteed to put me to sleep. Same as rain on a tent. So many good memories.

weeksy

terrible terrible noise… I spent 7 years with night after night being awoken or unable to sleep.

matt_outandabout

I spent 7 years with night after night being awoken or unable to sleep.

Where were you living, that it rained every night for 7 years?

scotroutes

On a more general Velux window issue – they don’t half get frosty!! I can only imagine the noise-reduced ones will be even more insulated.

Edukator
    Free Member

How do they do “noise reduced”? When changing the windows on the house we hesitated between noise reducing which were double glazed with a 1cm thick outer pane and triple glazing on the road side. We bought triple which is significantly quieter than double. The shutter option is the one I’d go for as it cuts noise, adds lots of insulation and cuts out light when you don’t want it.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

My Velux at the top of the stairs, the orange glow is from the street lamp.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Long shot – Velux noise reduction’ is closed to new replies.