Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Long Mynd – Any good?
  • r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Hi all,

Thinking of driving down to Shropshire to ride around Long Mynd for somewhere new. I normally ride around the Peak District coming from that way.

Its an 85 mile trip each way. Is it worth it? I’ll most likely be loading this route to my Garmin 810 and following that – http://ridewithgps.com/routes/7664551

Either going to head her or Coed y Brenin for the day.

Cheers

jekkyl

The long mynd is great fun, it’s wild & epic and some of the tracks are really great but it is of the type, ‘one big big up, then one not so big down’ variety. Compared to codybrenin you will have more fun at codybrenin, at least I would.

I’ve done the mind several times so if you have any specific questions I can try and help or I’m sure someone else here will be able to.

oxym0r0n

I would choose it over Coed every time IMHO

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Cheers guys, i’ve ridden Coed many times and fancy something new. Does that GPS route I’ve posted above look alright? Don’t want to miss the best bits!

jekkyl

As regards your route, they’re not joking calling it hard, that’s 4 ups the mynd you’ve got there. Iiwy I’d miss out 10, 11, 12 & 13 and go straight along to 14 once you reach 9. The climb through the forest at points 20-23 is lovely.

chvck
    Free Member

+1

Esme
    Free Member

Well, it’s very different to the Peak District. I must admit that I find the smooth trails lack a certain “something” (ie rocks), but I’m sure it’s great fun to ride fast, on a hardtail.
    Definitely worth trying it for yourself.

jekkyl

Yeah it’s fine, looks to me like 17, 18 and 19 is minton batch which is ace. iiwy I’d do that again rather than the drop into little stretton at the end.
    see here: http://www.mtb-shropshire.co.uk/content/uploads/map5.jpg

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

ok nothing special, slipper stones (more rock that peaks ;-)) and the forest MTB red and black out there is the best. Long Mynd – one big long smooth hill.

remoterob
    Free Member

You haven’t mentioned the time/day, but descending Carding Mill Valley could be more hassle than it’s worth at weekends due to walkers.

Edit: would do shorter Long Mynd and Eastridge if only visiting area once.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I’ll probably head there Friday morning so hopefully walkers won’t be too much of a problem.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Rode the mynd for the first time the other day and we did two ups and two downs and about 13 miles. The second up being through the forest so a fairly easy climb up having said that I don’t think it would of been both enjoyable or worth it climbing back up again. Minton batch was a decent descent but I didn’t rate the other descent we did, was just flat out fast with no real need other than to get back to the bottom. Definitely would go back but it’s a lot closer for me based in the West Midlands and will make a change from my usual places.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Just got back from Long Mynd. Awesome day out!

34 miles and 5,500ft ascent. Minton Batch was brilliant but not as brilliant as my sun tan lines!

https://www.strava.com/activities/328757454

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Wow that’s a bloody good time down Minton. I ride it week in, week out and have just recently gone sub-5 mins.

jekkyl

Splendid effort. Any pics?

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Yep will post them up later. Pretty happy with that time down Minton Batch given it was my first go! Had to hop over a dead sheep at the top, smelly.

Really enjoying my 45650B at the moment

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Long Mynd – Any good?’ is closed to new replies.