• This topic has 17 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Pook.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Long Mynd – all day route?
  • dirkpitt74

I’ve downloaded the trail map for Long Mynd but am looking for the best way to link it all together for an all day ride.

http://www.mtb-shropshire.co.uk/content/uploads/map5.jpg

Most of the directional arrows suggest downs – any suggestions on how to link it all up to maximise the downs?

flyingmonkeycorps

No idea, but we’re riding there on Friday so I’m interested. We’ll only be there half a day but were planning on following this route (18.6 miles):

Long Mynd Loop

jekkyl

You’re probably about to get several responses but a route I have done is up carding mill valley, (if you’re a national trust member free parking here) it’s steep but relatively short, along the top and down minton batch, turn right and along the lanes and then up through the forest at the south end, coming out to ride over the glider club then straight along the top to descend with speed the north end. Other easy ups are back up the tarmac at the north end and the road that runs parallel to Carding Mill Valley. The route I’ve described is a half day ride, if that, so you can just have an explore. You may want to link up stiperstones and have a dig about online for routes. Carlos, Fathomer, Osscilate wildly and singlespeed stu (among others) should be able to furnish you with longer routes, I just replied in case no-one else does 🙂
    If you need a gpx for my loop pm me and I’ll have a dig through my strava.

djflexure

I’m no expert but tend to go up at either end from the Church Stretton side.

I leave Carding Mill as its the busiest with walkers.

Do descents to Little Stretton and Minton Batch.

Good pub for lunch at Bridges.

For an all day ride I have sometimes gone over to Slipperstones

martinhutch

Depends on how long you want your day to be.

Last time I went I went up Carding Mill Valley, over and down Pole Bank, up behind the glider club, Minton Batch, up through the plantation, Minton Batch again (!), up again, something very zig-zaggy the opposite side of the glider runway, up a verrry steep road climb, then finally the long sweeping descent which finishes at the campsite in Little Stretton.

That was about 25 miles, I think, with 3,000 +ft of ascent.

They are all marked on the numbered map.

Esme
    Free Member

Carding Mill Valley will be heaving on a bank hoiday weekend (and expensive for parking) so I’d recommend starting from Marshbrook:

Marshbrook MTB Centre

(There’s a nice pub right next door for an apres-ride meal)

The Flat Tyres route is good, but you’ll need to extend it.  I always enjoy Route 9 down to Little Stretton, as a contrast to the valley descents, and the scenery is quite spectacular.  It’s not technical but feels quite exposed as you sweep round the hillsides.

As mentioned above, The Stiperstones is lovely, but I wouldn’t bother riding there (and back) when I could stay on the Long Mynd (but then I’m not a fan of riding a mountain bike on tarmac).

Esme
    Free Member

PS  Beware of DoE students!

I was recently knocked off my bike in CMV by a rucksack, when some stupid girl turned round to speak to her friend.

(Yes, obviously I was too close, but I was squeezed in to the side of the road, and they were walking 3 or 4 abreast)

martinhutch

They don’t pay road tax, either. 🙂

Sheep are much less dopey than most walkers, and 90% of DoE kids.

dirkpitt74

Thanks all – some routes I’ll look into.

Won’t be doing it Bank Holiday – will probably be a mid-week ride at some point to avoid the hoards.

jekkyl

yup and there is virtually no tech apart a few large stones embedded in the grass. It’s flat out swoopy fun and scenery.

martinhutch

It’s just a case of picking out which descents you want to do, and keep climbing back up until you’ve done them all.

In terms of the ones I’ve done on the map, and their order of decent-ness, I’d say it’s roughly 7,2,9,(11,12,14,15), 5

Some of the other lines on the map are very good, but it would have to not be a school holiday week for that not to cause trouble during the day.

markrh
    Free Member

Was up there yesterday, Minton batch like a stream in places. Like people have said Carding mill best avoided at w/e. You can park for free at the  north end of Mynd. Turn up the hill at All Stretton, up Push hill park anywhere up there. Start with the descent behind Jinlye? Make your way over to Minton batch then back up the hill and do one of the descents on the west of the hill, should be quite over there. West Mynd descents tend to be fast none tech double track affairs but still fun. Watch out low flying Red Kites over there, can be distracting and lead to crashes…

shinsplints

Drop into the Outdoor Depot at the bottom of the high street for some good advice. Dont bother calling into Plush Hill cycles as they are in Telford now !

CheesybeanZ

@shinsplints , welcome back fella 🙂

Scamper
    Free Member

Plush Hill looks like its some kind of craft ale pub/shop now or something?

Thing with the long mynd is its basically up and down with road or double track along the top.  You can’t get away from the climbing and even four big climbs and 25 miles can be over 4000ft. I went back last week and thought  Minton was not too bad, a little rutted after the winter and a bit of water here or there apart form the stream crossings.

OP, I’m riding there in a few weeks and will attempt the following; up 8, up to Pole Bank down 11.12,14.  Up 10, down Minton Batch. Up the fire road at Hamperely (look out for some tech in the woods as you near the top). Down 1 and the zig zags at 2.  Ride along the bottom and take a rod back up not shown on the map and finally fly down 9 for a well earnt pint in Little Stretton. I expect to spend a lot of time walking up hill.

chrismac

I would go Marshbrook, Hamperley, trail 1 then 3 then 4 then 5 or 6 depending on how you like your climbs, Then 11, 12 14, 15. Up 10 back along the tip and then down 8. Back for beer and medals.

Esme
    Free Member

Worth mentioning . . . the middle section of Carding Mill Valley (before the first ford) seems much rockier than usual.

Enjoy it while it lasts, before it gets “improved” by the National Trust. But take care if you’re expecting it to be easy (albeit quite steep).

Pook
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Long Mynd – all day route?’ is closed to new replies.