Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Long Mynd aficionado's – Bit of advise please.
  • lowey

Thinking of having a go at this route on Sunday.

http://www.flattyresmtbroutes.com/LongMyndLong.html

Is it the best route or should there be other stuff I need to be including.

Suggestions and/or MMO's greatly appreciated.

Cheers chaps.

lowey

Cheers. Any other bits I can add to the ride?

disco_stu
    Free Member

I've done the slighty shorter route on flattyres and it was a great ride.
    Minton batch and the last descent are really great downhills 😀

You could tie it in with a ride to the Stipperstones to make it a bit longer

scruff
    Free Member

to be fair thats a decent leagal route and is enough for a decent fit rider, after climbign to the glidign club could add another up then decend down that is mnarked as a footpath but is actaully a BW, it skirts north of Round Hill and ends up in Little Stretton, you could then have a go at climbing Minton Batch or up the fireroad again.

deep_river
    Free Member

I went down to the shrops hills mountain bike centre yesterday, its just outside church stretton (link posted in a reply above), and they gave me some info on the best trails, plus a free mountain bike map for the area.

Defo the main source of local knowlegde, and seem like a couple of decent blokes to boot.

wors

There's a route in Singletrack issue 37, do you want me to print it off for you?

Speshpaul

Thats pretty good coverage of the mynd. If you carry on down the hill from point 14/ Coat's farm there's the Horseshoes pub at The Bridge, which is very good for beer and food. (a regular start and finish for us) Also in the Centre of stretton (the square) check Plushills cycles, great shop, well worth a visit. Al will sort you with some route tips.
    Cheers
    Paul

http://www.plushhillcycles.co.uk/

fbk
    Free Member

All good advice. The Descent down to Little Stretton is very good and fast, so long as there aren't too many walkers around. Just be aware that it is still marked as a foot path and a lot of people don't know it's been re-classified a "permissive bridleway" – we got politely told off by a National Trust employee so we politely suggested he check his details 🙂 . You can climb back up Carding Mill Valley or Minton Batch if you're really keen!

As above, the new MTB centre or Plush Hill Cycles should be able to suggest the best routes for the day.

lowey

Hmmm, right, I'll have a bash at plotting it on MM tonight. Will have a word with Plush or MTB Centre if I'm struggling.

Whats the ground like there at the moment ? Only ask as our local stuff is suffering with all the rain.

Cheers all.

ps.

Wors, yes please.

fbk
    Free Member

We rode there at the weekend and it was suprisingly firm. Only mud we hit was on top of Minton batch by the gliding club, and on the DH tracks in the woods. There's been a bit of rain this week but not much so should be fine.

Great riding round there – I'm sure you'll have fun 🙂

mick
    Free Member

Just be aware that it is still marked as a foot path and a lot of people don't know it's been re-classified a "permissive bridleway"

It has recently been marked as a bridleway "on the ground" by the Council who have now numbered all the bridleways on the Long Mynd.

All the posts up there marked with "Ride UK" are bridleways

timbur
    Free Member

Loop in Minton Batch twice. It's well worth it.

Speshpaul

The going is good, there is always a bit of wetness on MB, one because its in shropshire and two because its a stream:-)

Have fun

lowey

Whats Motts road like as a descent ?

mick
    Free Member

Whats Motts road like as a descent ?

It's OK to do once but I wouldn't do it at a weekend as it would be full of walkers

lowey

Hmmm… might use it as a climb then.

jamesb
    Free Member

from what I recall Motts road quite rough and loose at lower end (Light Spout section) and several stone cross darins on it so ascent may be best bet; I think also NT at Cardingmill have map showing MTB routes / rideable sections on Long Mynd

lowey

Belting place to ride a bike!!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Jealous as was on my too do list will check out blog on this
    you out next Sunday?
    Who else went?

pyekid
    Free Member

Lowey

were you one of the two blokes today, we chatted to at the bottom of the fast rocky descent, and then had a puncture?

lowey

Pyekid, no mate. I was solo today except coming back up through the Forest when a local joined me and kindly showed me the way.

I did have a flat though on the run down to Medlicot Cottage, I passed 3 lads chatting there, dunno if that was you.

Junkyard… We will go again and soon mate. It is a wonderful place to ride. I did 30 miles with about 4500' climbing and probably only touched 30% of the Bridleways.

Minton Batch is just sublime. I was really tempted to do it twice!

Speshpaul

"It is a wonderful place to ride"
    Shhhhhhhhhh its a local ride for local people:-)

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Long Mynd aficionado's – Bit of advise please.’ is closed to new replies.